• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is learning a lot of new things in Washington — including what a garbage disposal is.

The 29-year-old freshman congresswoman posted photos and videos on Instagramshowing the apparently “terrifying” contraption at work in her swanky DC apartment and saying she’d never seen one before.

“OK everyone I need your help because I just moved into this apartment a few months ago and I just flipped a switch and it made that noise and it scared the daylights out of me,” Ocasio-Cortez can be heard saying in footage.

“I am told this is a garbage disposal. I’ve never seen a garbage disposal. I never had one in any place I’ve ever lived,” she later said.

The “Green New Deal”-touting Bronx Democrat wondered whether the device was “environmentally sound.”
“This DC apartment is bougie and has things I’ve never seen before…,” Ocasio-Cortez captioned the video, later noting: “Is this what social mobility is? Using kitchen appliances you never saw growing up?”
The Bronx-born representative ended her Instagram story by quipping, “All you people telling me to reach in and grab whatever’s there are just Republicans trying to test my health insurance.”
“I’m onto you.”

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/ocasio-cortez-blown-away-by-first-experience-with-a-garbage-disposal/

I'm from a very small town in Georgia and I know what a garbage disposal is. There is one in my apartment in a rent controlled senior housing, so you don't have to be rich to have one or to know that such a thing exists. I don't use mine because as far as I can tell there is nothing that is "legal" to put in it, we get a lease violation for blocking it up.

This woman makes herself sound like an dumbass.

I've met people who had no idea what they were before, it's really not that weird if you haven't lived in a bunch of different places or don't cook much. My NYC friends have almost nothing in their kitchens since everyone orders out.

That said, if she's going to run on environmental platforms she reeeeeeally ought to know that ground up food bits are not going to be a major environmental problem for the pristine sewer lines of DC, especially compared to Draino...

When you become a member of Congress it is time to stop playing cute dumb. That's the kind of crap I expect from women who want attention by playing cute and ignorant.

It reminds me of Jessica Simpson's "chicken of the sea" moment on that stupid "reality" show with Nick Lashay. If you were that dumb, surely you wouldn't want anyone to know about it. AOC apparently thinks she's got her own reality show.

I think ALL of the people who are in government, like AOC and Trump and all in between, should not be allowed on any of the social media platforms when they are talking about anything that has to do with their government jobs. Personal stuff I would grudgingly allow but job related NO, NYET, NADA, NOTHING!

That’s okay. Donnie doesn’t know how to govern.

Some people just need to be using social media to prove their own self importance by having folks hang on every word as though it were gold. This strikes me as one such failed attempt.

@cubby
I was also reminded of Ms. Simpson but I also read that the "chicken of the sea" moment was scripted, like much of the content of that genre.

Clearly, "reality" shows have been so successful that the effects are spreading out into our daily experiences. I doubt it's just the entertainment industry that scripts reality. It's so easy they don't have to put much effort into it either.

Back