• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Ohio business owner’s rapid downward spiral to near-death began innocently enough — with an affectionate lick on her arm from one of her two pet dogs.

Marie Trainer’s symptoms emerged shortly after, according to Fox 8. She felt nausea, her temperature acted erratically, and after being taken to the hospital, her condition kept worsening. Sepsis set in, and she developed gangrene. The hospital staff put Trainer in an induced coma.

She awoke 10 days later to find that her arms and legs had been partially amputated.
[....]
But the amputations likely saved her life, Fox 8 reported.

Tests concluded that the cause of infection was capnocytophaga, a germ commonly found in dogs and cats that can be contagious after close contact. Most of the time exposure to it does not result in the serious consequences that Trainer faced.

Doctors believe that the germ may have entered her body through a small scrape on her arm.

Dr. Margaret Kobe, who is the medical director of infectious disease at the hospital where Trainer was treated, said of capnocytophaga: “[It is] fairly common in the oral flora or the mouth of a dog and it can be transmitted through a bite or sometimes just contact with saliva. That organism is very virulent. It has the ability to induce your immune system to do some pretty horrible things.”

Kobe told the news outlet that Trainer’s serious reaction to the dog’s licking is highly rare, occurring in about one in a million people.

Last year, a Wisconsin man lost his hands, feet and parts of his arms and legs to a rare blood infection transmitted by dog saliva. Greg Manteufel has undergone at least 10 surgeries during which surgeons amputated parts of each of his limbs because circulation to his extremities shut down due to the infection. He is now learning to walk again on prosthetics.

And a Canadian mother whose dog bit her in a game of tug-of-war in 2013 became infected after her pet bit her. Her condition worsened, and she developed sepsis, requiring doctors to amputate three limbs, according to the Caters News Agency. The woman, Christine Caron, told the news agency that she had committed to raising awareness about sepsis.

Meanwhile, Kobe told Fox 8 that neither she nor Trainer wants people to become afraid of their pets, but they want them to be aware of germs that can cause infections during interactions, and recognize the symptoms.
[....]
So far, Trainer has had eight surgeries and has been hospitalized for more than 80 days. She said she is thankful that her husband has been such a source of inspiration while she recovers.

“He’s here every day for me... every day he feeds me, and dresses me here every day,” Trainer told Fox 8. “I mean what do you do? I had to learn how to sit up, roll over, it’s been just very hard.”

The family told the news outlet they have no plans to get rid of their dogs.

My son just went back to work after 10 days due to a staph infection on his right hand. It started with a tiny nick on the fleshy part of his thumb. Probably happened at work but he didn't notice it until it became swollen and red on 7/25. He went to work the next day, Friday, and it was getting worse so he went to the doctor and found out he had a raging staph infection in the skin. It was scary as fuck. There was pus coming out of every pore. He came home and was off all of last week. After the pus stopped flowing the blisters deflated and dried out. After he peeled that off the skin was raw underneath. He literally looked like a burn victim.

I'm bringing this up to remind everyone not to take any wound lightly, because, like Jack said, it's completely random and you never know when you might get one of these hard to cure infections.

I'm bringing this up to remind everyone not to take any wound lightly, because, like Jack said, it's completely random and you never know when you might get one of these hard to cure infections.
This is such good advice. No matter how small the wound, or how tough you are, an infection can end up being life threatening far too quickly. Zishe Breitbart, a famous strongman from the early 20th century, could bend iron bars into shapes with his bare hands, was strong as an ox, and ended up dying of a tiny puncture wound that got infected. All it takes is soap and water and a tube of antibiotic ointment from the dollar store to save your life. Wash every wound!

This is so rare. Look how many people cohabitate with dogs all across the United States.
If my recollection is correct, you are more likely to be attacked and killed by a pitbull (or pack of) dog than your are to contract this.
Not a chance I'm willing to take. I like dogs, but not enough for them to be licking all on me.

My cat bit me when I was a kid. My finger swelled up so bad I had to go to the ER where they gave me a shot so powerful it knocked me out for a bit. The doctor said the bite could have been fatal. Still loves kittehs tho. And puppies ..to a lesser extent. Mostly because I've seen them eat their own poop.

Back