• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Florida woman was charged after a dog died when it was left in a hot car for several hours.

The dog, a female pitbull mix, was locked inside a white Toyota Camry Thursday when the high in Pensacola, Florida was 89 and the feels like temperature was closer to 100.

Crystal Marie Houk, the owner, was reportedly inconsolable as deputies checked out the backseat.

Houk is charged with one count of animal cruelty.

She told deputies she left the air conditioner running. But a Walmart employee says when he opened the door, hot air was blowing.

"You've got a high temperature in the middle of the summer. You've got a closed door, and you've got hot air blowing on an animal like that, and ultimately, this is what happens," said Chief Deputy Chip Simmons, Escambia County Sheriffs Office.

Surveillance cameras show the dog was left inside the car for about three hours.

"Animal control tried to take the temperature of the animal itself and found that the temperature of the animal pegged out the thermometer that they were trying to use," Simmons said.

The thermometer stopped working when it hit 107 degrees.
1566688218798.png
1566688242106.png

WTF was she doing in Walmart for three damn hours?! It’s bad enough anyone would be stupid enough to do it - but - why take the dog if you weren’t going to be 10 minutes or less?! And ten minutes is GENEROUS! I stopped to get a drink at a convenient store the other day.. our temperatures have been over 100 and topping 115 area with heat index .. grabbed my drink and got in line.. I have a 20 something in 90 something mode and at least 10 people ahead of me.. I walked up .. got idiots attention and said eighty five cent drink - five dollar bill.. my dogs in the car.. keep the change and walked out.. HELL NO I didn’t wait for a response

WTF was she doing in Walmart for three damn hours?! It’s bad enough anyone would be stupid enough to do it - but - why take the dog if you weren’t going to be 10 minutes or less?! And ten minutes is GENEROUS! I stopped to get a drink at a convenient store the other day.. our temperatures have been over 100 and topping 115 area with heat index .. grabbed my drink and got in line.. I have a 20 something in 90 something mode and at least 10 people ahead of me.. I walked up .. got idiots attention and said eighty five cent drink - five dollar bill.. my dogs in the car.. keep the change and walked out.. HELL NO I didn’t wait for a response
I'm so pissed that I'm actually sweating. So, she's either 1-accidentally put on heat instead of AC cuz of stupidity, hurry, or being drunk or high, 2-put the heat on, on purpose, to speed up the process or just to be extra malicious. Sigh. This is why I usually never click on animal abuse articles. The stupid, negligent, or just evil assholes that don't deserve to breathe the same fucking air as the rest of us.

So, she's either 1-accidentally put on heat instead of AC cuz of stupidity, hurry, or being drunk or high, 2-put the heat on, on purpose, to speed up the process or just to be extra malicious.
There is a third possibility too.

Air conditioning draws heat out of a given volume of air and moves it elsewhere. And unless it's helped along, heat flows from where it is to where it isn't. That's the function of the A/C: making the heat move against its natural inclination.

So you have a car sitting in the middle of the parking lot,engine running and A/C on, and the A/C is busily pumping heat out of the car's passenger cabin and into the surrounding air -- which is already hot. And the running engine is burning fuel and making more heat, which is being discharged in the cooling system then into the surrounding air. The engine's fan pulls hot air through the A/C condenser, then through the radiator, and both dump heat into the passing air because they're hotter. And the air gets hotter.

Absent any air movement, the car is now sitting in a bubble of hot air. And the radiator fan is sucking that hot air in through the condenser and the radiator and blowing the hotter exhaust air into the bubble of hot air. And the car keeps drawing from it to cool. Eventually, the air gets too hot to accept any more heat from the A/C or the engine's cooling system. And one of two things happens: the A/C starts blowing hot air or the engine shuts off the A/C and speeds itself up to more efficiently move the heat out of itself and into the surrounding air. In either case, though, the flow of cooled air into the passenger cabin stops. And since there is more heat outside the cabin than inside, the cabin starts getting warmer. And warmer.

I don't know if ignorance is better than stupidity or malice; still, it is another possibility that may explain what happened. If you want to tell me she shouldn't have left the dog in the car I won't argue. And if you want to tell me the dog is still dead I won't argue that either. That the dog died horribly is something else I won't argue. This is more along the lines of, "Wait a minute; what if?" than anything else.

--Al

I'm so pissed that I'm actually sweating. So, she's either 1-accidentally put on heat instead of AC cuz of stupidity, hurry, or being drunk or high, 2-put the heat on, on purpose, to speed up the process or just to be extra malicious. Sigh. This is why I usually never click on animal abuse articles. The stupid, negligent, or just evil assholes that don't deserve to breathe the same fucking air as the rest of us.

[HUGS]

1696558878023.jpeg

Name:HOUK, CRYSTAL M

Custody:COMMUNITY
Release Date: 09/20/2022

Current Prison Sentence History:​

Offense DateOffenseSentence DateCountyCase No.Prison Sentence Length
08/22/2019 AGG ANIMAL CRUELTY 09/22/2021ESCAMBIA19050271Y 6M 0D

Back