• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A reportedly unrepentant woman will serve nine years in prison for the severe abuse of her 22-month-old son, which prosecutors say has caused permanent blindness for the boy and "life-long hardship."

Ashley Marie Cowan was sentenced Friday on convictions for felony child abuse causing serious injury and felony child neglect. In November, she pleaded no contest to the charges, which were spurred by an investigation launched in April of last year.

As previously reported by the Times News, Cowan’s son was being treated for bilateral retinal hemorrhages at Niswonger Children’s Hospital in Johnson City. Additional medical exams revealed what appeared to be numerous non-accidental subdural bilateral hematomas, or brain bleeds, resulting in blindness.

When questioned at the hospital by social workers, Cowan reportedly attacked them. She was subsequently convicted for those assaults and later indicted for abuse of her son.
Meanwhile, the child was flown by helicopter to Carillion Medical Center, in Roanoke, Va., which specializes in pediatric neurology. Once there, he was diagnosed and treated for more than 100 non-accidental subdural and retinal hemorrhages. The trauma left the child permanently blind.

On Friday, Cowan was sentenced to 15 years in prison. The court suspended six years of that sentence and ordered that she be placed on probation for a period of four years upon her release. As a condition of that probation, Cowan is prohibited from having unsupervised contact with any minor children.

“The court heard over eight hours of emotional testimony from witnesses, including treatment providers, social workers and law enforcement," Johnson said. "These witnesses detailed the trauma this child experienced in the days and months following his arrival to Niswonger and the profound impact it had on their personal and professional lives.”

The court added that had Cowan acted appropriately to her child's injuries, they might have been mitigated. Johnson said Cowan expressed no remorse or regret.
http://www.timesnews.net/Law-Enforc...94Z67uZIFcE3TPWKA-BykKiFMplv69M7PQ3yjAqe_DjXE
1547613206912.png

She looks like she has a mask on.
Post automatically merged:

And possibly a hidden penis!

Cowan was sentenced to 15 years in prison. The court suspended six years of that sentence

What the fuck is the point of sentencing her to 15 years and then immediately suspending 6 years of it, just sentence her to 9 years to start with. Can someone tell me the point of this.

As Sue Sue said above, the sentence is bullshit anyway. That woman was well on the way to killing that child.

What the fuck is the point of sentencing her to 15 years and then immediately suspending 6 years of it, just sentence her to 9 years to start with. Can someone tell me the point of this.

A suspended sentence is usually like a form of probation. If he sentenced her to 9 years, then she might get out in 6 with 3 years of probation - should she violate probation, she can be sent back but only for the max of the sentence (9 years).

If he sentences her to 15 years, she still has the possibility of serving the entire 15 years even though 6 of it is immediately suspended. So the possibility of 15 years versus the possibility of 9 years.

I mean, I don't think either one is nearly enough, but that's the reason for suspended sentences.
Post automatically merged:

A suspended sentence is usually like a form of probation. If he sentenced her to 9 years, then she might get out in 6 with 3 years of probation - should she violate probation, she can be sent back but only for the max of the sentence (9 years).

If he sentences her to 15 years, she still has the possibility of serving the entire 15 years even though 6 of it is immediately suspended. So the possibility of 15 years versus the possibility of 9 years.

I mean, I don't think either one is nearly enough, but that's the reason for suspended sentences.

Back