• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
untitled.png

After the death of an Illinois resident hospitalized for an unknown respiratory illness linked to vaping — the first in the country since a rash of hospitalizations across many states — public health officials say they still are trying to identify what ingredients or products are responsible.

The Illinois Department of Public Health announced Friday that an adult resident died earlier this month, but would provide no further identifying details, or circumstances surrounding the death. The patient was one of nearly 200 across the country hospitalized between late June and this week with symptoms including coughing, shortness of breath and fatigue, and who reported using e-cigarettes, health officials said. In Illinois, the health department is investigating 22 of these cases, and possibly 12 more. The patients are between 17- and 38-years-old, and some also experienced vomiting and diarrhea.

Full Story:

Most of these vaping devices are made in China. And let's be honest here and not mince words China has a piss poor record of making things affordably that are still safe. It does not seem like a difficult stretch to imagine that they are using inappropriate materials with toxins that can Leach. Frankly you couldn't pay me to put one of those things in my mouth and suck on it. Aside from the fact that people that are doing it look like total fruit bats, there is no way I am trusting in something made for pennies to be safe for personal use where you are ingesting Vapors.

Is something being added to the vape "stuff" ( don't know what it's called) that only just now is causing illness in relatively young people? Or is the connection to vaping so tenuous that is only a coincidence that all the victims happened to vape? Vaping has been a thing for a while now, right? Why all of a sudden did this just start?

ETA: Sejanus answered most of my questions.

I've never trusted those things. It seems like a bad idea to habitually inhale vapors made up of all kinds of shit. I used to smoke but the difference is a cigarette lasts maybe 10 minutes and then it's gone. People who vape lose track of how long they've been vaping. They can vape for hours at a time.

From what I've been reading in the few cases that have bothered to report it, product problems seem to arise from 'boutique' manufacturers/stores or straight up bootleg products. Haven't read much specifically mentioning store bought or brand name manufactured except in the 'malfunction' cases. But I'd be willing to bet the big name brands are lobbying their congress critters to start regulating so they can stamp out all the little guys that can't afford the testing that's going to be in the new laws.

Last edited:
Michigan will become the first state in the nation to ban flavored vape products in a move Gov. Gretchen Whitmer says is aimed at protecting youth.

The ban,which will be imposed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) through direction from Whitmer, prohibits online and retail sales of flavored nicotine vaping products.

The move comes not by executive order from Whitmer, but through Michigan's administrative rules process, which allows state agencies to create regulations or policies that, once authorized, act as laws.

The vaping ban rule has not yet been filed, but will be effective immediately once complete in a few weeks, Whitmer's spokesperson said. At that point, the ban will last six months, and will give Michigan businesses 30 days to comply.
[....]
“As governor, my number one priority is keeping our kids safe,” Whitmer said in a statement. “And right now, companies selling vaping products are using candy flavors to hook children on nicotine and misleading claims to promote the belief that these products are safe. That ends today. Our kids deserve leaders who are going to fight to protect them. These bold steps will finally put an end to these irresponsible and deceptive practices and protect Michiganders’ public health.”

Last week, MDHHS announced it was investigating six lung infections reported in the Lower Peninsula that were tied to e-cigarette and vape use.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control is looking into the national wave of e-cigarette-related lung illnesses that have now affected at least 200 people across 23 states. One person in Illinois has died of the illness.

In 2018, the Food and Drug Administration reported that about 3.62 million middle and high school students used e-cigarettes. A 2013-2014 survey on e-cigarette use found that 81% of young e-cigarette users said the appealing flavor options were a major reason for their use.

Whitmer's ban also prohibits e-cigarette companies from "misleading marketing of vaping products" by using words like "clear," "safe" or "healthy" to describe their products.

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel praised Whitmer's announcement in a statement Wednesday, pledging her department's support in enforcing the coming rules.

"With a more than 1.5 million increase in the number of students using vaping products in just one year, the governor's emergency actions today are exactly the bold measures we must take to protect Michigan's children from the dangerous effects of vaping," Nessel said in a statement.

Michigan has already banned sales of e-cigarettes to minors.

So what flavor is a no-flavor vape??
Just plain old nicotine. No added candy or dessert flavors.

It's my understanding that most of these cases of serious illness are related to bootleg products containing THC, but the news and authorities are lumping those in with any vaping. These are products made at someone's kitchen table or in their garage with no quality control, oversight or safety standards.

However, there is no way vaping even nicotine is good for you, and a truly alarming number of young people vape, so if a false scare reduces that number, it is still a good outcome.

Last edited:
I've never trusted those things. It seems like a bad idea to habitually inhale vapors made up of all kinds of shit. I used to smoke but the difference is a cigarette lasts maybe 10 minutes and then it's gone. People who vape lose track of how long they've been vaping. They can vape for hours at a time.
I've tried vaping to quit cigarettes and this is exactly what my problem was, I didn't know when I was done.

Just plain old nicotine. No added candy or dessert flavors.

It's my understanding that most of these cases of serious illness are related to bootleg products containing THC, but the news and authorities are lumping those in with any vaping. These are products made at someone's kitchen table or in their garage with no quality control, oversight or safety standards.

However, there is no way vaping even nicotine is good for you, and a truly alarming number of young people vape, so if a false scare reduces that number, it is still a good outcome.

That's exactly the reply I got when I mentioned all of this to a subcontractor who came into the office and I saw he had a vape in his pocket. He was certain the problem were only related to kids smoking dab and whatnot in them. So, that really needs to be sorted out and included in these announcements.

But it only applies to cannabis vaping apparently. What is the common thread in both? That's what they should be looking for?

On Thursday, the New York State Department of Health said lab tests showed extremely high levels of vitamin E acetate in nearly all of the analyzed samples of products that contained cannabis.

Vitamin E acetate was not found in the nicotine products tested.

Back