• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Edmonton woman has been found guilty of intentionally breaking her two-year-old daughter’s ankles.

At her trial in late 2018, she testified that her daughter had fallen off a toilet in March 2016, and then was reluctant to walk for several days.

It was the girl’s grandparents who eventually brought her to a Wetaskiwin hospital. She was transferred to the Stollery Children’s Hospital in Edmonton after X-rays confirmed fractures to both ankles and older, healed breaks in one arm.

Medical experts testified that a fall from a toilet could not have caused the damage to her ankles.

Both the mother, who was 22 at the time of the offence, and her partner testified that the two-year-old showed aversion to being touched near her feet, would crawl instead of walk and refused to play for several days. The mother said she believed the child was suffering from the flu. She said her feet were not swollen or bruised.

Because the girl was left for several days without medical care, the judge said the mother’s “conduct fell far short of meeting the standard of the reasonably prudent parent.”
After a 13-day trial, he found her guilty of failing to provide the necessaries of life, causing a child to be in need of intervention, aggravated assault and assault causing bodily harm. She has not yet been sentenced.

There’s a publication ban on the name of the child and the mother is identified only as S.N.A.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4850332/...ing-toddlers-ankles-not-getting-medical-help/

Wow, poor kid, how awful. This bitch is in need of a Kathy Bates Misery treatment - get out the sledgehammer, smash her ankles while she shrieks in pain and see how much she likes crawling around with broken ankles.

I wonder if the mom will actually be given any jail time and if the little girl will have long lasting effects since she was not immediately taken to the doctor.

She was “intimidated by the court” not intimidated enough to refrain from breaking her precious daughter’s ankles! She was bullied at school, so she continued to bully her own daughter who was defenseless against her viscous attacks! “She was extremely naive”!! NO, she was extremely violent, extremely indifferent to the pain and suffering of her daughter! Three years was not long enough !!

An Alberta mother found guilty of breaking the ankles of her two-year old daughter has been sentenced to three and a half years in prison.

The woman, who can only be identified as S.N.A. due to a publication ban, was convicted of several offences — aggravated assault, assault causing bodily harm and failing to provide the necessaries of life.
Prior to sentencing, defence lawyer Kiran Janda read a statement on behalf of the 26-year-old woman in court because she was "too intimidated" by the Crown to speak herself.

"For as long as I can remember, I have had behavioural issues," the woman said in the statement.
She said she was bullied at school and eventually dropped out around Grade 10.

"I was lost in life at 18," said the woman. "At 20, I got pregnant with my daughter ... her father was emotionally abusive."
Janda added that her client never meant to hurt her daughter.

"She was extremely naive," she told Edmonton Court of Queen's Bench Justice Wayne Renke.
Janda said the girl has recovered and the mother is not a risk to reoffend.

"She does not have her daughter. She has no other kids," Janda said before asking for a six-month sentence with three years probation.

Crown prosecutor Carole Godfrey had asked for five years in prison.
The judge said he found the woman guilty of breaking both of the girl's ankles, manipulating her ankles and failing to seek medical attention.

"In my opinion, [she] has a high degree of culpability," Renke said, noting that the broken ankles came within months of a broken left arm.
Renke said the woman knew her daughter couldn't walk, knew she couldn't stand and knew she was in pain but didn't take her to a doctor.

He added that he didn't hear any regret during the trial.

"I don't find any evidence here of remorse," said Renke.

Back