• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CentreAussie

Trusted Member
The Atlantic -
On social media, the country seems to divide into two neat camps: Call them the woke and the resentful. Team Resentment is manned—pun very much intended—by people who are predominantly old and almost exclusively white. Team Woke is young, likely to be female, and predominantly black, brown, or Asian (though white “allies” do their dutiful part). These teams are roughly equal in number, and they disagree most vehemently, as well as most routinely, about the catchall known as political correctness.
Reality is nothing like this. As scholars Stephen Hawkins, Daniel Yudkin, Miriam Juan-Torres, and Tim Dixon argue in a report published Wednesday, “Hidden Tribes: A Study of America’s Polarized Landscape,

Whites are ever so slightly less likely than average to believe that political correctness is a problem in the country: 79 percent of them share this sentiment. Instead, it is Asians (82 percent), Hispanics (87percent), and American Indians (88 percent) who are most likely to oppose political correctness.
So the fact that we are so widely off the mark in our perception of how most people feel about political correctness should probably also make us rethink some of our other basic assumptions about the country.

Compared with the rest of the (nationally representative) polling sample, progressive activists are much more likely to be rich, highly educated—and white. They are nearly twice as likely as the average to make more than $100,000 a year. They are nearly three times as likely to have a postgraduate degree. And while 12 percent of the overall sample in the study is African American, only 3 percent of progressive activists are. With the exception of the small tribe of devoted conservatives, progressive activists are the most racially homogeneous group in the country.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...orities-dislike-political-correctness/572581/

This is an interesting piece. I’m surprised no one has commented in this thread!

It’s especially interesting how the study identified seven clusters: “...progressive activists, traditional liberals, passive liberals, the politically disengaged, moderates, traditional conservatives, and devoted conservatives”. (I identify as a moderate.) This represents an excellent diversity.

But the survey is flawed because it didn’t provide a definition of “political correctness” for the participants, and it doesn’t acknowledge that what is deemed “politically correct” differs within/between each cluster.

As a moderate, I’m not a fan of political correctness because I believe it can be a tool used by progressive activists to dictate social policy. This results in bullshit ideas such as “reverse racism” etc.

But why the fuss? Us white people don’t need to worry about our social standing: racial (and other) minorities lack the power to dictate social policy. Come on.
Post automatically merged:

Can’t edit, but I do want to say...can’t we just spin “political correctness” to mean “don’t be an asshole to people”? That’s all. Who gives a shit if someone is black, gay, poor, whatever. Just don’t be a douchebag to people. That’s what “politically correct” should mean.

Last edited:
Back