• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

PAMPLONA, Spain — The desire to have a selfie as a souvenir from running with the bulls in Spain turned into a near-death experience an American lawyer says he'll never forget.

A charging bull ran over and gored San Francisco resident Jaime Alvarez in the neck during the first run of this year's San Fermin festival in Pamplona, an event immortalized by writer Ernest Hemingway nearly a century ago.

"The joy and the excitement of being in the bullring quickly turned into a scare, into real fear for my life," Alvarez, 46, said Monday at a regional hospital where he was recovering from surgery.

Doctors told Alvarez the bull's horn went deep into his neck and fractured part of a cheekbone. That it didn't hit the jugular vein or major arteries was described to the injured patient as "beyond miraculous."

Alvarez, who works as a public defender in Santa Clara County, California, said he realized how severely he'd been hurt during his encounter with the bull Sunday morning when he touched his neck and his hand came away covered with blood.

"In the course of a few seconds, a million thoughts came to my mind, and that of dying was definitely one of them," he said.

Once it appeared certain he would live, the run-in brought rebukes from Alvarez's wife and daughter. The three stopped in Pamplona to check out the famous San Fermin festival while in route to another city where the couple's son was playing in a soccer tournament.

Do you know what a bull calls a selfie with someone they're chasing?
Attack of opportunity.

This idiot is too stupid to live. I hope his wife and family ditch him and take him for everything he's worth. Only a stupid sack of crap gets involved in any of this bull brutality in Spain.

I admit freely every time a bull gores a human being and fucks them up I cheer!
Oh how I cheer!!

Would love to see the selfie that this is more on just have to take that was worth his life potentially.

I attended the running of the bulls once. It was very dramatic to see. The route is lined with places you can watch from, and I managed to squirm my way to the front. To me, the whole thing is stupidly macho. They are risking their lives for.... what? To be able to say "I was dumb enough to run down narrow, blocked off streets while a herd of huge, angry, deadly bulls chased me.". Typical for uber machismo Spain.

Back