• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SoUncool

With my all by myself...
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/16896742/detail.html

4h5dtf.jpg

Pittsburgh police arrested a mother on charges she tried to poison her baby with table salt. Amber Brewington, 21, was arrested at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Wednesday morning.

Police said a hospital staff member saw Brewington tampering with the 4-month-old’s feeding tube late Tuesday night.

The boy was transferred to Children’s Hospital on July 9 from Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tenn., to be treated for high levels of sodium. The boy’s father has been at his side since then.

During that time, the boy's father traveled with him and his condition began to improve, police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki said.

But the boy's condition declined after his mother visited him on Sunday and again on Tuesday night, leading to Brewington's arrest, Stangrecki said.

Pittsburgh police questioned Brewington early Wednesday morning. They said they found a canister of salt and a syringe in her backpack. Police also said Brewington confessed to doctors.

She is currently in the Allegheny County Jail. She faces charges of attempted homicide, aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of children. Police said they will not charge the boy’s father.

Brewington has two children with the son's father and a third child by another man, Stangrecki said.

Last edited:
?

Was the baby orginally in the hospital for salt posioning? I hope that mom rots in prison. How horrible to grow up knowing your own mother tried to kill you.

The boy was transferred to Children’s Hospital on July 9 from Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tenn., to be treated for high levels of sodium.

Yeah he was already hospitalized for what this crazy bitch was doing... Perhaps Munchausen?

amber.jpg

She was now trying to put him out of his misery.

Tennessee mother charged in baby's poisoning
By Bobby Kerlik
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Tennessee woman accused of trying to kill her infant son by putting salt into his feeding tube at Children's Hospital told police Wednesday she wanted to speed up his death because he was suffering from life-threatening seizures.

Police arrested Amber Brewington, 21, of Duck River after nurse Leslie Konyk saw her on Tuesday night attempting to disconnect the feeding tube for 4-month-old Noah King.

When police searched Brewington's pink backpack they found a plastic syringe, a large container of Morton's table salt and two bottles of children's Pedialyte filled with saltwater, according to a police affidavit.

Police charged Brewington with attempted homicide, aggravated assault and child endangerment.

"Even if the child was sick before, there's no justification to help someone die -- particularly a 4-month-old child," said Pittsburgh police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki. "She can't do that."

According to police, Brewington said she was suffering from postpartum depression and did not wish to see her son suffer.

Detectives plan to speak with doctors in Tennessee to determine whether the child was sick before he was poisoned.

During a news conference at Children's, Dr. Basil Zitelli discussed situations in which parents make their children sick, a diagnosis known as Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome.

"It's an unusual condition but I believe it's not as uncommon as people think," Zitelli said. "I've been personally involved in about 50 cases.

"It's a different form of child abuse because of the role of the perpetrator. We don't understand the motivation. Some people believe it may be to draw attention to themselves."

He and Stangrecki said they did not know whether Brewington has the syndrome.

Noah's sodium level when brought to Children's was one of the highest recorded levels, even for adults, according to police. Zitelli said high sodium levels can lead to brain injury, permanent neurological impairment or death.

A Children's spokesman said Noah was in critical condition.

Brewington has two children with the sick baby's father, Terry King, and a child by another man, Stangrecki said. Noah's condition had improved since he arrived with his father, until Brewington visited Sunday, police said.

Lena King, who lives a half-mile from King and Brewington in Tennessee, and whose husband is a cousin of Terry King, said she was surprised to hear the news about Brewington.

"We all love her to death. This shocks me," Lena King said. "We knew the baby had been sick and had seizures, but I haven't talked to Terry since he's been in Pittsburgh.

"We really didn't know what was going on until we saw it on the news."

The baby was transferred to Children's for treatment on July 9 from Vanderbilt University Hospital because of unexplained high levels of sodium in his system, according to the police affidavit.

When police questioned her, Brewington said her son became ill the first week of May. She took him to a small medical facility in Columbia, Tenn., for treatment, but he was transferred to Vanderbilt because of his declining health. Noah suffered seizures and possible brain damage from unknown causes, she told police.

At Vanderbilt, she decided to administer four to five full syringes of saltwater in an attempt to speed up his death, the affidavit states. Brewington admitted she gave her son another fully loaded syringe with saltwater while at Children's, according to the affidavit.

During a visit Tuesday, Brewington was told she could not have physical contact with her son, and hospital staff questioned her when they saw her standing over his hospital bed, police said. They noticed the tube had been tampered with and that Brewington was putting things into her backpack, police said.

Brewington said she was not trying to give her son another dose when Konyk saw her.

District Judge Kim Hoots ordered Brewington to undergo a mental evaluation at the behavior clinic at the Allegheny County Jail. Hoots set bail at $50,000 and ordered Brewington to have no contact with her son.

A preliminary hearing is set for Wednesday.

Link

Mom blames depression for making son sick

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08200/897814-53.stm

Amber Brewington blamed "severe" post-partum depression for her decision to inject her infant son with salt water while he was in the care of Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and, before that, a hospital in Nashville, Tenn., according to Pittsburgh police.

But the 21-year-old Tennessee woman, who has been charged with attempted homicide, also was enduring a tumultuous relationship with the boy's father, Terry King.

Court records from Hickman County, Tenn., where the couple live, show that Ms. Brewington has accused Mr. King, 39, of brutally assaulting her on at least two occasions, both while she was pregnant.

In October 2006, Ms. Brewington filed for a protection order against Mr. King, claiming he choked her until she lost consciousness. Ms. Brewington was pregnant with their first child at the time. Several weeks later, she asked for the protection order to be removed.

Almost a year later, Mr. King hit Ms. Brewington in the head during an argument, according to an affidavit. When a female neighbor tried to intervene, Mr. King punched her in the face.

Ms. Brewington was again pregnant, this time with Noah King, who is now 4 months old and is in critical condition at Children's Hospital.

Ms. Brewington was arrested Tuesday night when she admitted to police that she injected salt water into her son's feeding tube, according to a criminal complaint. She also faces charges of aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

A judge has ordered her to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at the Allegheny County Jail. Her two other children, including one from a prior relationship, are being cared for by a relative in Tennessee.

On Wednesday, a pediatrician at Children's Hospital talked to reporters about Munchausen syndrome by proxy, or MSP, a mental illness that causes parents to fake or even cause a child's medical problems, often to get attention.

Neither hospital officials nor police could say if Ms. Brewington suffers from MSP, which is difficult to diagnose.

Dr. Johanna Goldfarb, a pediatrician at the Cleveland Clinic, said women who have the condition often struggle with bad marriages and were themselves abused as children.

Ms. Brewington has no criminal background in Hickman County, but Mr. King has faced charges there on almost a dozen occasions.

In 2001, he was arrested after he attacked his mother at her home and a neighbor's house, an affidavit said. He later pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.

The following year, he pleaded guilty to domestic violence after a fight with another girlfriend. The woman told police he had been drinking and had ordered her to have sex with him. When she refused and tried to leave, he grabbed her, pushed her against a kitchen cabinet and started choking her with both hands. The woman's 6-year-old son called police.

In 2005, the woman told police Mr. King threatened her with a knife, telling her she was "going to die."

By 2006, Mr. King was with Ms. Brewington.

Mr. King accompanied Noah to Pittsburgh last week, when the boy was transferred from the Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville to Children's Hospital in Oakland.

The boy had an unusually high level of sodium in his system when he arrived here. He seemed to be improving until Ms. Brewington visited him on Sunday. When she returned two days later, a nurse saw her tampering with the baby's feeding tube.

Pittsburgh police also have questioned Mr. King, but he hasn't been charged with any crimes.

amber.jpg

She was now trying to put him out of his misery.

Tennessee mother charged in baby's poisoning
By Bobby Kerlik
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Tennessee woman accused of trying to kill her infant son by putting salt into his feeding tube at Children's Hospital told police Wednesday she wanted to speed up his death because he was suffering from life-threatening seizures.

Police arrested Amber Brewington, 21, of Duck River after nurse Leslie Konyk saw her on Tuesday night attempting to disconnect the feeding tube for 4-month-old Noah King.

When police searched Brewington's pink backpack they found a plastic syringe, a large container of Morton's table salt and two bottles of children's Pedialyte filled with saltwater, according to a police affidavit.

Police charged Brewington with attempted homicide, aggravated assault and child endangerment.

"Even if the child was sick before, there's no justification to help someone die -- particularly a 4-month-old child," said Pittsburgh police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki. "She can't do that."

According to police, Brewington said she was suffering from postpartum depression and did not wish to see her son suffer.

Detectives plan to speak with doctors in Tennessee to determine whether the child was sick before he was poisoned.

During a news conference at Children's, Dr. Basil Zitelli discussed situations in which parents make their children sick, a diagnosis known as Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome.

"It's an unusual condition but I believe it's not as uncommon as people think," Zitelli said. "I've been personally involved in about 50 cases.

"It's a different form of child abuse because of the role of the perpetrator. We don't understand the motivation. Some people believe it may be to draw attention to themselves."

He and Stangrecki said they did not know whether Brewington has the syndrome.

Noah's sodium level when brought to Children's was one of the highest recorded levels, even for adults, according to police. Zitelli said high sodium levels can lead to brain injury, permanent neurological impairment or death.

A Children's spokesman said Noah was in critical condition.

Brewington has two children with the sick baby's father, Terry King, and a child by another man, Stangrecki said. Noah's condition had improved since he arrived with his father, until Brewington visited Sunday, police said.

Lena King, who lives a half-mile from King and Brewington in Tennessee, and whose husband is a cousin of Terry King, said she was surprised to hear the news about Brewington.

"We all love her to death. This shocks me," Lena King said. "We knew the baby had been sick and had seizures, but I haven't talked to Terry since he's been in Pittsburgh.

"We really didn't know what was going on until we saw it on the news."

The baby was transferred to Children's for treatment on July 9 from Vanderbilt University Hospital because of unexplained high levels of sodium in his system, according to the police affidavit.

When police questioned her, Brewington said her son became ill the first week of May. She took him to a small medical facility in Columbia, Tenn., for treatment, but he was transferred to Vanderbilt because of his declining health. Noah suffered seizures and possible brain damage from unknown causes, she told police.

At Vanderbilt, she decided to administer four to five full syringes of saltwater in an attempt to speed up his death, the affidavit states. Brewington admitted she gave her son another fully loaded syringe with saltwater while at Children's, according to the affidavit.

During a visit Tuesday, Brewington was told she could not have physical contact with her son, and hospital staff questioned her when they saw her standing over his hospital bed, police said. They noticed the tube had been tampered with and that Brewington was putting things into her backpack, police said.

Brewington said she was not trying to give her son another dose when Konyk saw her.

District Judge Kim Hoots ordered Brewington to undergo a mental evaluation at the behavior clinic at the Allegheny County Jail. Hoots set bail at $50,000 and ordered Brewington to have no contact with her son.

A preliminary hearing is set for Wednesday.

Link

It sounds like all the salt she was giving the 4 month old baby boy was causing the seizures. She is only 21 and already has 2 other children? She looks like a fat salt porker to me, she needs to be sterilized along with all the other fat breeding abusing and neglectful mother's and father's out there. The government keeps feeding these porkers with each additional child. When is it going to ever stop? You need a fishing license to fish, a dog license for a dog but nobody needs a license to raise a child. Society is so screwed up! I don't care if she has Munchau:photo:sens by Proxy - she deserves to be locked up for 99 plus years!

There was a mother out of Texas who did this to her foster child with zantarans seasoning, but he died. I believe she was convicted for murder last year. Can't remember the whole story. Her name was Hannah Overton I believe. She was using it as punishment. Her church was making a big stink saying she was innocent. I believe they even payed for her defense. It was a bizarre case.

Amber Brewington, 23, of Duck River, Tenn., will spend five to 15 years in a mental facility after pleading guilty to aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of a child in Allegheny County. Brewington entered the plea after prosecutors withdrew an attempted homicide charge against her.

"I didn't mean to hurt my son," Brewington told Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey Manning, though authorities believe she harmed the boy in an effort to generate sympathy for herself.

The boy is partially blind and suffers from mild cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, has water on the brain and has suffered stroke.
Authorities believe those ailments resulted from Brewington's actions, though she told police when she was arrested that she was just trying to speed up the death of her ill, suffering child, who was then 4 months old.
[...]

A psychiatrist testified then that Brewington suffered from Munchausen by proxy syndrome, in which a caregiver tries to cause illness or injury to generate sympathy. Brewington also had borderline personality disorder and suicidal thoughts, the psychiatrist said.

A Tennessee couple is trying to adopt the boy.

Brewington's attorney, public defender Amy Lindberg, called her client "incredibly remorseful" and said she "really took complete responsibility" for her actions Monday.
[...]
http://www.timesleader.com/news/ap?articleID=5225291

There was a mother out of Texas who did this to her foster child with zantarans seasoning, but he died. I believe she was convicted for murder last year. Can't remember the whole story. Her name was Hannah Overton I believe. She was using it as punishment. Her church was making a big stink saying she was innocent. I believe they even payed for her defense. It was a bizarre case.
Hannah Overton was exonerated of the murder of 4-year-old Andrew Burd. Here are some interesting facts about Hannah Overton:
1. Bennie Saenz, a pastor of Calvary Church, was Hannah Overton’s father. He was convicted of bludgeoning a 15 year old girl to death.
2. Marshall Applewhite, founder of Heaven’s Gate Cult, was her grandfather.
3. Definitely food for thought.
Post automatically merged:

One mother succeeded with this method.
Her son was 5? And named Garnet?
After he died the doctor watched security footage from the room he was in and his mother went into the bathroom with him and then they come out and the wee boy starts rapidly worsening.
He said 'I just watched someone murder a child'

Back