• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SimplySpaztastic

The above average, average girl
Bold Member!
im1c1j.jpg

bfnxvc.jpg

THORNTON, Colo. — City of Thornton officials confirmed Friday afternoon that a body found amid a search for a missing 10-year-old is indeed that of Kiaya Campbell, who had gone missing Wednesday night.

Her death is now being investigated as a homicide, according to an official with the Thornton Police Department.

Police said they have also collected a "large amount of evidence" during the investigation amounting to approximately more than 100 pieces of evidence, according to Denver7 reporter Liz Gelardi. That evidence will now be sorted and analyzed by investigators.

Police in Thornton have been investigating the body since finding it amid a large-scale search on Thursday. The search amplified to dozens of citizen volunteers along with 23 different agencies after the Colorado Bureau of Investigation issued an AMBERAlert for the missing girl.

Authorities said the girl had gone missing Wednesday night during a heavy rainstorm, saying she had been with a 15-year-old acquaintance while walking from her father's house to a shopping center when the two got separated in the storm.

Late Thursday they located a body just two miles from where the 10-year-old had last been seen, suspending the search.

The Adams County Coroner's Office positively identified Kiaya Campbell's body on Friday afternoon. Without giving additional details, the coroner explained the death was "other than accidental."

Heidi Williams, Thornton Mayor, released the following statement.
On behalf of the Thornton City Council, I want to express our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Kiaya Campbell. Today we mourn with all those in our city and beyond that feel the loss of such a beautiful child. We pray for strength and compassion for those close to Kiaya in the coming days and weeks.

The Thornton community demonstrated its amazing spirit of togetherness and concern yesterday as literally hundreds of volunteers came together in a very short amount of time to help find Kiaya. Seeing all of these people with deep concern and resolve to help a child is a clear reminder for all to see that we live in a very special community.
Police say they will release additional updates as their investigation progresses. They did not provide any official updates through 4 p.m.

"This is an active investigation and we want to have a successful conclusion and a successful prosecution if we do find the person responsible," the spokesperson said.

A vigil to remember the girl will be held near the area where her body was found -- at 128th Avenue and Holly -- at 8:30 p.m. Community members are asked not to park along 128th Avenue and instead in the Walmart parking lot or the nearby strip mall.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...as-that-of-missing-10-year-old-kiaya-campbell

Learn more about the amber alert here:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ornton-10-year-old-went-missing-in-rain-storm

:( She was only 10.

The 15yo boy is the son of dad's girlfriend. He was walking the girl to the store or to her home from dad's house when that storm let loose. I've seen it reported both ways that they were going to the store or to her house.

I got this amber alert and have been following the case. The area she disappeared from is right next to the sports complex my boys played football in years ago when they played junior leagues. One of the attorneys I used to work with lived on street where her body was found. It was his first house as a married man. I just have a lot of ties to that neighborhood even though we lived several miles away.

Last edited:
Terrifying for that community. So incredibly sad for her and her family. My heart goes out to them.

I'm getting a funny bone about this whole thing. How do you get separated in a storm just crossing the street to the shopping center? A lot of unanswered questions here.

I can't imagine what her family is going through. Hopefully no one close to them was involved. Then they will have two heart breaks to deal with. The loss of a child never goes away. No parent should have to bury their child, ever.

While getting separated in a storm is not impossible (very unlikely, imho, but not impossible), the idea that the two young people were accidentally separated AND at that moment, during a storm, a child molester/murderer who was out and about just happened to come across the 10 year old girl and kill her seems very far fetched. I agree with whoever said above that the 15 year old "person" with her did it.

Also, my money is on that person being a male. If it was another girl, I think the article would have said so. There is zero reason to not be up front if it was another girl. The only reason to pussyfoot around is if the 15 year old is a boy, and you are bending over backwards to not appear to imply that he might be responsible and that there is possibly a sexual component.

A 15 yo boy was arrested.

THORNTON, Colo. -- Police have arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection with the killing of a 10-year-old Thornton girl who went missing Wednesday while walking in her neighborhood and was later found dead not too far from where she was last seen.

The 15-year-old, who police are not identifying because he's a juvenile, was arrested late Saturday night for investigation of first-degree murder in the death of Kiaya Campbell, according to the Thornton Police Department.

Police said Campbell and a 15-year-old acquaintance were walking from her father's house to a shopping center near 136th Avenue and Colorado Boulevard around 7 p.m. Wednesday when the two apparently became separated in a rainstorm. The girl was last seen near 129th Avenue and Colorado Boulevard.

Thornton police spokesman Officer Victor Avila would not say whether the 15-year-old acquaintance Campbell was walking with is the teen who was arrested.
The 15-year-old was arrested at around 11:38 p.m. Saturday and was booked into the Adams County Juvenile Facility, police said.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ction-with-10-year-old-thornton-girls-killing

I bet he is.

Next day or so, I'm sure we will be hearing.

Edit.
I tried to post this post in the morning and it was still in my phone when i signed on.

I knew it. Bastard just fucked 2 families.

Last edited:
I also think it is the same 15 year old boy. He is the son of the father's girlfriend.

Boy charged with murder after 10-year-old girl found dead http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4593994/Boy-charged-murder-10-year-old-girl-dead.html

15 year old walked away with that girl, enraged imagining that his mom was probably going to have sex with THAT MAN, so he took it out on the girl? Or crime of opportunity. Just speculating on reasons...

And the girl's mom has started the money grab already. .
Her mother, Chantel Campbell, has created a GoFundMe account to raise money for a memorial.

And the girl's mom has started the money grab already. .

I noticed that. The barely literate Go Fund Me post with a mediocre picture. She wants to memorialize her daughter, and that is the best she can do? Plus, it is my impression the girl lived with her father, so the chances of the mother needing to raise money to bury the girl seem slim. This one really does appear to be a money grab by a non-custodial parent.

The girl lived with her mother in Montbello. The boy was walking with her because she's unfamiliar with dad's neighborhood in Thornton .
[doublepost=1497394193,1497237212][/doublepost]Holy shit, this story is getting weirder by the minute. I heard on the news on my way out the door this morning that the 15yo boy is an identical twin; obviously the evil one. There is some CPS involvement somewhere in this case, but we don't know if its mom or dad. I'm guessing on dad since he only has visitation.

Anyway, the perp is due in court tomorrow and they may announce if they intend to charge him as an adult. They media is speculating, but since the police were actively out in the neighborhood yesterday searching for additional evidence, I doubt the D.A. will announce it yet.

Click here for a video clip of the update. http://www.9news.com/news/crime/tee...-death-to-appear-in-court-this-week/448152244

THORNTON, Colo. — The District Attorney's Office announced Wednesday charges of murder against a 15-year-old over the death of Kiaya Campbell, a Thornton 10-year-old.

Charges against the 15-year-old currently include first-degree murder, murder after deliberation and murder of a child. Those charges are in a juvenile court currently, blocking the release of the suspect's name.

As the suspect is under 15-years-old, the District Attorney must request the charges be elevated to adult court and a judge would decide whether or not to grant the motion. It's not yet known if the District Attorney will make that request.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...against-15-year-old-for-kiaya-campbells-death

They've already named him. Aidan Zellmer. I think the second murder charger (murder by a person in a position of trust) is too thin. Just because he was entrusted to walk her to the store doesn't make him an adult in a position of trust...unless they end up charging him as an adult.

The 15-year-old boy arrested in connection with the death of 10-year-old Kiaya Campbell was charged with two counts of first-degree murder Wednesday afternoon in Adams County court.

The suspect, who initially was not named because he is under 18, was identified in open court as Aidan Zellmer,

Authorities will determine whether the case will go to adult court at the end of the month.

The District Attorney’s Office filed charges against Zellmer for first-degree murder with intent and first-degree murder by a person in a position of trust.

http://www.9news.com/news/crime/tee...ree-murder-in-kiaya-campbells-death/449027438

Last edited:
In fiction it happens when you least expect it. From the link, "Neighbors told 9News they do not remember it raining on Wednesday night. "

Well those neighbors are wrong. It poured and hailed very hard that night. I was getting all kinds of weather alerts for Thornton...
[doublepost=1497485251,1497484144][/doublepost]
20qm0p4.jpg

2afmnlt.jpg

Yeah, I've had a storm or a storm threatening nearly every night the past 2-3 weeks. I couldn't tell you which days it did or didn't rain, but since the body was found really fast and I assume the neighbors were questioned right after, I will trust their memories

I think they are definitely going for adult. rolling through my head: how could he? 10 years old

https://www.everipedia.com/aidan-zellmer/
he had sexually assaulted her and her body showed signs of extreme trauma at a level to torture?
my internet has been crap today: the second links bottom pictures are all different articles

Last edited:
A brief update. The cause of death was multiple fractures from blunt force trauma to the head. I checked because there was supposed to be a hearing last week, but the news hadn't put up any updates. I assume that hearing was cancelled for some reason.

http://www.9news.com/news/crime/teen-charged-with-first-degree-murder/452282698

BRIGHTON, Colo. (CBS4) – The Adams County coroner is providing more details about how a 10-year-old girl in Thornton was killed over the summer.

kiaya-campbell.jpg

Kiaya Campbell (credit: Thornton Police)

The coroner says Kiaya Campbell died from blunt force injuries to the head due to an assault. There were many lacerations and fractures to her head that caused her death.

Police found Campbell’s body on June 9 in a drainage ditch approximately a mile away from her home. They arrested Aiden Zellmer, a 15-year-old boy who lived in the same house, for murder. Zellmer’s mother was in a relationship with Campbell’s father at the time.

aidan-zellmer.jpg

Aidan Zellmer (credit: CBS)

The district attorney is working to charge the teen as an adult. There will be a hearing on that matter on Oct. 30.

So far there’s no official word on what a motive might be for the crime.

Back