• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
I want one! It would fit nicely in my backyard.

[....]
Amazon offers its consumers the chance to buy a small log cabin for less than $20,000 and free shipping. The “Lillevilla Allwood Cabin Kit Getaway”Opens a New Window. was described as being “large enough to function as (a) summer house, home office or even a stand-alone retail building.’ The kit comes with directions and is said to take two-to-three days to build.
full

The small homes are apparently popular. The Real DealOpens a New Window. reported in May that a $7,250 small cabin kit called “Allwood Solvalla”Opens a New Window. sold out after it went viral. The home appears to be back in stock, according to Realtor.comOpens a New Window..

“I’m not surprised to see [Amazon selling homes],” Trae Bodge, of TrueTrae.comOpens a New Window., told MarketWatchOpens a New Window.. “Selling these homes online presents a new level of opportunity for the retailer to reach consumers who are outside of their local area.”

Amazon offers a number of cabin kits for various prices. Like Amazon, Sears -- which was America’s largest retailer once upon a time -- also sold homes via its catalog. The kits gave its customers blueprints and all the material needed to construct the home. The retailer sold an estimated 70,000 to 75,000 homes, according to NPROpens a New Window..

I was looking at this yesterday, There isn't a place for a bathroom in the Lillevilla Allwood cabin. A girl needs a potty... :shame:

Sounds odd, but I look at things like this little home and I think of opportunities for expansion. Like buy 1 and on the back end of it build what would be like a central connecting Hub as wide as the building and as deep as the building is wide. That way over time you buy another house unit as you can afford it. Then plug it in on the back end of this and before you know it you've got a pretty cool four point house for like 80 grand!

@Sejanus, not at all odd. I've thought the same way, to build something one room at a time. I want a kitchen that is not attached to the house so have considered a series small buildings. I also have two 20 ft shipping containers. Those things last forever, and the floors are solid wood. They are very popular housing material in the Netherlands.

@Sejanus, not at all odd. I've thought the same way, to build something one room at a time. I want a kitchen that is not attached to the house so have considered a series small buildings. I also have two 20 ft shipping containers. Those things last forever, and the floors are solid wood. They are very popular housing material in the Netherlands.
I love the whole shipping containers concept. I saw a complex out west what was built all taking two or three and interconnecting them make it perfectly possible home. Even included a second floor by stacking! Also the other thing I'm really intrigued by are these homes in less developed countries or South America that are 3D printed concrete. They go up in a day ready to move in! They come in around 10 grand

I've seen video of a 3-D printed house and thought it was fabulous. You build what you want and then decorate it as you like and it's perfect acceptable, especially if you can't afford a "real" house. I'd love one, I don't need but one bedroom but I'd love to have a bit (a lot) more storage than I have now.

Totally a fan of the container home, tiny home, 3-D printed houses... the whole less is more vibe. I see no valid reason for two people to live in a 2500 square foot house. Especially when it comes to upkeep. I don't want to clean a 2500 square foot house!

I want one. I have several spots I could put one.
Post automatically merged:

Totally a fan of the container home, tiny home, 3-D printed houses... the whole less is more vibe. I see no valid reason for two people to live in a 2500 square foot house. Especially when it comes to upkeep. I don't want to clean a 2500 square foot house!
Or heat or cool it. Believe me. My farm in Minnesota was almost 3,000 sq ft.
If you don't have the ability to make firewood or pay for your heat source, YOU WILL DIE.

Last edited:
Back