• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

A New Mexico man was arrested after police received a 911 call from an Amazon Alexa smart speaker. Police say that 28-year-old Eduardo Barros was house-sitting with his girlfriend when they started to argue. Barros reportedly pulled out a gun and threatened to kill the woman, who authorities have not identified.

At one point, he asked her: "Did you call the sheriffs?"

The smart speaker and the voice-powered virtual assistant heard his question and believed it was a command, so it dialed 911 on the home's landline.

"Barros told [the victim] he could not believe the cops had been called and he was not going back to prison and that she knew he was a felon. [The victim] stated she thought she was going to be killed or shot," the responding officer wrote in his police report.

Authorities were able to remove the woman and her daughter from the home. She suffered minor injuries and the girl was unharmed.

Barros remained inside, and the deputies called for a SWAT team and a crisis negotiation team to convince him to surrender. After an hours-long standoff, Barros was taken into custody and charged with possession of a firearm or destructive device by a felon, aggravated battery against a household member, aggravated assault against a household member and false imprisonment. He was denied bond and will be held until his first court hearing.

funny that wasn't one of the numerous things listed in the reddit or twitter lists
There's a list?

Oh I have to go find it.

I have one my daughter gave me but I've been scared to hook it up. As it is, my phone and giant tv are on some buddy system. If I'm watching podcasts or YouTube videos and tap my screen just right or really just wrong, it goes on to the tv interrupting whatever my bf is watching.

I'm an old dog, I have a tuff time learning new things when it comes to stuff like that.

Last edited:
@Keepalowprofile
There are youtube videos of people asking Alexa the same questions and getting some biased answers.
But the real problem is Alexa is just a data miner trying to sell stuff. In exchange, Alexa does you some small electronic favors.
Ooh, and there was the time Alexa emailed a voice recording of a couple having a conversation in their home to one of their employees.

@ChaosKitty
. My wife and I were playing 20 questions and (spoiler alert) our answer was “pig.” We got through until the end and Alexa guessed “Basenji.”
Even tho the original poster will never see this post, I had to comment.
This depends on what were their 20 questions. If they said it's ancestors are from Africa and it's barkless, that is so simple. So I don't find it crazy at all

However, the laughing one is creepy.
I would smash it with a hammer.
Post automatically merged:

@Muriel Schwenck
Now I'm on my way to YouTube.
:nailbiting: I wonder what rabbit hole it's going to lead me into.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back