• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

staysblazed_xo

♥ ⁴²⁰ queen ♥
"Ricky Van Mitchell, 50, and his wife, 46-year-old Angela Mitchell, are charged with first-degree insurance fraud, second-degree arson and criminal conspiracy, according the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office and the Alabama State Fire Marshal’s Office. Ricky Mitchell was pastor of Emmanuel Fellowship Church.

Also indicted on arson and criminal conspiracy charges was Heather Rich Whitten, 45, who pleaded guilty in 2015 to second-degree rape.

The indictments stem from a Jan. 12, 2019 blaze at a building owned by the Mitchells. The building, authorities said, was occupied by Longview Institute and Emmanuel Fellowship Church.

Few details have been released by investigators about the fire or the charges against the trio of suspects.

Whitten was arrested on her indictment July 31 in Riverside. The Mitchells turned themselves in to authorities on Aug. 3. All three have been released on bond from the St. Clair County Jail.

The two-count indictment against Whitten stated she did “intentionally damage a building, by starting or maintaining a fire or causing an explosion” which damaged the building at 11012 U.S. Highway 78 in Riverside. It also claims she was in agreement with the Mitchells to do so.

The three-count indictments against the Mitchell makes the same claims against the couple, as well as stating they, with intent to defraud, presented a false claim to an insurance company in excess of $1,000. All of the charges against the Mitchells and Whitten are felonies."

Link!

DrDe1a.jpg

Ricky Van Mitchell, Angela Mitchell & Heather Rich Whitten

Last edited by a moderator:
There would be a lot less religious scammers if churches were required to pay taxes. It would a lot less attractive Cash cow.
I'm all for churches paying a flat tax, also charities and non profits. Nothing to do with "separation of church and state".
States can collect taxes from churches.

In my career the worst credit reports I’ve ever seen have been pastors, preachers and the like. Most are just glorified carpet baggers.
I used to do collections and account support for an office supply company. Chiropractors and small churches or pastors with individual accounts were the worst. Not just in collections, but in account reconciliation. Either incompetence, scamming or both. Large churces were usually OK.

ETA: The financial incompetence wasn't necessarily due to criminal or immoral intent, but for some due to financial laziness and in the case of pastors, some entitlement. "I'm ministering to the poor so you have to cut me some slack." I don't know that for a fact. Anyway, you signed an agreement to pay 10th of the month.
I would expect a parson to be a man who sticks to a contract.
And BTW, small law offices were a problem too. They would threaten to sue because we called to ask for payment. Yeah, save that script for when we sell your unpaid account to a collection agency.

Last edited:
Back