• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46860074
All 189 people on board died when Flight JT610 fell into the sea shortly after taking off for the short journey to Pangkal Pinang.

The pilot had asked air traffic control for permission to turn back to the airport but then contact was lost.

Investigators say the plane had encountered technical problems.

The aircraft - a new Boeing 737 Max - broke into many pieces when it hit the water at high speed. The plane should not have been flying on the day it went down as it was not airworthy, Indonesian investigators have said.

The bright orange voice recorder was found at least 50m (165ft) from where the first black box - the plane's flight data recorder - was found last November.

The voice recorder was found on Monday morning but was "broken into two pieces".
[....]
Indonesia's Navy spokesman Agung Nugroho told Reuters that the recorder was found 8m deep, under mud on the sea floor.

Mr Nugroho said that a weak signal from the recorder had been detected "for several days".

He added that the recorder had "obvious scratches on it", but that it was unclear what damage it had suffered.

Human remains had also been found near where the voice recorder was discovered, said Mr Nugroho.

When the flight data recorder was found in November, officials said that it could take up to six months to analyse data.

Listening to the last conversations between the pilots and ground control on the CVR should help investigators finish piecing together what went wrong in the short flight.

Findings by Indonesia's transport safety committee (KNKT) suggest that Lion Air had put the plane back into service despite it having had problems on earlier flights.

The pilots appeared to struggle with an automated system designed to keep the plane from stalling - a new feature of the Boeing 737 Max.

The anti-stalling system repeatedly forced the plane's nose down, despite efforts by pilots to correct this, the findings suggest.

Investigators have now said that the plane was not airworthy and should have been grounded.

Some victims' families are suing Boeing over the accident.

Flake claims that an airline staffer approached her (on behalf of the American Airlines crew) about her "rash" and questioned if she had a letter from a doctor allowing her to fly, as detailed in a now-viral Facebook post.
The Columbia mom and son were born with ichthyosis, which, according to the American Academy of Dermatology, is a group of skin diseases that causes extremely dry, thick and scaly skin.
I explained to him that it was called Ichthyosis and it was a genetic skin condition. [The staffer] walked up to the front to talk to the crew. He apparently also Googled it during that time. He came back and said he apologized but we wouldn’t be able to fly and we had to get off the plane,” Flake said of the incident. “He helped me get my bags and Jackson. He talked to the pilot as we were getting off. The pilot seemed ok with it, but the flight attendant rudely said (without even acknowledging me) ‘Well she doesn’t have a letter from a doctor, so...’”
The military wife continued to elaborate that the airline was not able to retrieve her checked bags, though the American Airlines employee “helped me off the plane, got me a hotel and a new flight with a different airline” – though Flake remained shaken that she and her son were “discriminated against… big time!”
“I have never been so humiliated in my life!” she concluded her Facebook post, which has since racked up thousands of comments and shares. “Happy Rare Disease Day! Quit being ignorant and take the time to listen to people! I shouldn’t have to explain myself.”

Several of the world's biggest airlines – including American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines and Singapore Airlines – have cameras installed on screens on the backs of passenger seats.
All four airlines say they have no intentions of using the technology, though.
A passenger on a Singapore Airlines flight called attention to the cameras on his seat-back entertainment system, sparking a debate over passengers' privacy concerns.
All four airlines stressed that they didn’t add the cameras – manufacturers embedded them in the entertainment systems. American’s systems are made by Panasonic, while Singapore uses Panasonic and Thales, according to airline representatives.
In a statement to USA TODAY, Panasonic said they "take airline passenger privacy very seriously."
"Panasonic Avionics will never activate any feature or functionality within an (inflight entertainment) system without explicit direction from an airline customer," the statement read.
Kamluk offered an easy solution: "Keep security of your passengers up! It’s best to disable these cameras physically until you decide to use them, i.e. with a simple sticker."

That's kinda like when you're downloading something that's supposed to be free but they want you to add your credit card number just in case. Just in case, what? Why do you need my CC number if what i'm getting is free. Same with these cameras, why are they there if you are not going to use them. It's pretty simple to tell lthe manufacturer to not include them. Just like it's pretty simple for me to not want your free product if I have to put in my credit card number.

Two planes clipped wings Saturday morning at Newark Airport — leaving 242 passengers with delayed or re-booked travel plans, officials said.
Southwest Flight 6, headed for Fort Lauderdale, Florida, had just been de-iced at around 7:30 a.m. and began to taxi at Terminal A when its left winglet grazed the tail of Southwest Flight 3133 to Nashville, Tennessee, — which was also having ice removed, according to the airline and the Federal Aviation Administration.

The owners of a five-month-old dog are demanding a criminal investigation after their pet died during a flight from Amsterdam to Los Angeles.

The purebred Central Asian Shepherd puppy, named Bear, was discovered dead in the cargo hold of a KLM plane when it touched down at LAX airport.

The Avetisian family, from the California city of Pasadena, had been given the dog by friends in Greece. They were ready to collect it when the plane arrived in the US via the Netherlands.

“We were waiting for months to get that puppy and give him some love, my kids were waiting,” Andranik Avetisian told ABC affiliate KABC. “It is very difficult. It is very hard for me.”

Mr Avetisian has said they have been unable to collect the dog’s body or even see it since the plane arrived on 19 March.

The family’s lawyer Evan Oshan told KABC they were now considering legal action. “We want a criminal investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of Bear,” Mr Oshan said.

“You don’t take someone’s property, someone’s family member, somebody’s pet and just keep it without any kind of explanation,” the lawyer added.
[....]
KLM previously said it had to “wait for the results of the necropsy to determine the cause of death”.

The airline said its policy was to keep larger animals “in a ventilated part of the hold” while small cats and dogs are allowed to accompany passengers in the cabin.

In March last year, a French bulldog died on a United Airlines flight from Houston to New York City, after a flight attendant reportedly repeatedly told the dog’s owner it would have to be stored in an overhead bin.

https://dreamindemon.com/community/forums/animal-abuse-and-animal-attacks.115/post-thread

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ngeles-amsterdam-klm-cargo-hold-a8839801.html

Last edited:
[....]
Frontier Airlines is standing by the flight attendant involved but Rosetta Swinney has a different story about what happened.
[....]
She had been in Nevada for a wedding with her 14-year-old daughter for Easter weekend.

Swinney said boarding the flight back to RDU was already delayed so the staff could clean the plane.

That's why she was surprised that the seat was still dirty when she boarded with her daughter.

"She jumped up to say mom! My hands are wet. She smelled it. She says 'this is vomit, mom.' So we went to look. It was on the bag, all over her shirt, her hands," Swinney said.

That's when Swinney alerted a flight attendant.

"I don't know if she got offensive about it. But she turned around to me and said, 'that's not my job.' If it wasn't her job. Why wasn't it attend to?" Swinney said.

Frontier Airlines said in a statement that "the flight attendants apologized and immediately invited the mother and her teenage daughter to move to either end of the plane so that the seat area could be cleaned."

The statement also said that "the mother and daughter were...told that once boarding was complete they would be provided other seats if available."

Swinney, however, said the flight attendant never attempted to clean up the mess and did not reassign her seat.

A woman who said she witnessed the exchange posted a similar account on Facebook, saying that the attendant said it wasn't her job to clean up the mess.

Swinney said she confronted the flight attendant again and that's when authorities were called to remove her and her daughter.

"I felt humiliated," Swinney said. "I felt more bad that my child had to see me be handcuffed and taken away from her."

The 53-year-old woman was put in jail and her daughter was placed in child protective custody.

After getting out of jail, Swinney said she bought a $1,000 flight home through Delta.

Frontier refunded the cost of her original flight home. But Rosetta said that's not good enough. She has hired a civil rights attorney to fight her misdemeanor trespassing charge.

She is due in a Las Vegas courtroom in June.

Read the full statement from Frontier Airlines below:
"During boarding of flight 2066 from McCarran International Airport (LAS) to Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) last week, two passengers told the flight attendants that vomit was present in their seat area. The flight attendants apologized and immediately invited the mother and her teenage daughter to move to either end of the plane so that the seat area could be cleaned. The mother and daughter were also told that once boarding was complete they would be provided other seats if available. The daughter was also offered cleaning products and invited to use the lavatory to wash up. The mother was unsatisfied with the response and became disruptive. As a result, the flight attendants determined that the mother and daughter should be deplaned and accommodated on another flight. The mother refused, and following procedure, law enforcement was called. Law enforcement then requested that everyone deplane so that the mother and daughter could be removed allowing the aircraft to be re-boarded and depart. We apologized to our passengers for the inconvenience caused by the departure delay. The safety of passengers and crew is our top priority at Frontier."

https://abc7news.com/travel/north-c...-after-complaint-about-vomit-in-seat/5269352/

[....]
SAS said 673 flights would be cancelled on Friday affecting 72,000 passengers.

It said it was "deeply regretful" about the negative impact on customers.

The pilot walkout comes after negotiations over pay and work schedules - which began last month - broke down.

Most domestic, European and all long-haul flights have been cancelled. The strike does not affect flights operated by SAS partners, which make up approximately 30% of all departures.

Customers who have a flight booked, are advised to check if their flight is affected by the strike.

SAS said it wanted to "reach an agreement to end the strike as soon as possible", but warned if the pilots' requirements were met it would have "very negative consequences" for the airline.

Pilots are trying to secure a 13% wage increase. They currently earn an average of 93,000 Swedish crowns (£7,500) a month.

The SAS Pilot Group, a union representing 95% of the airline's pilots in Denmark, Norway and Sweden, said work schedules, and not wages, were the main focus of the negotiations.
[....]
The pilots' walkout comes against a backdrop of tough business conditions for SAS. It is currently in the middle of renewing its aging plane fleet and faces rising competition from budget carriers such as Norwegian, Ryanair and Easyjet.

The airline reported a bigger-than-expected loss for its first quarter in February, but said it still expected to record a profit for the year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48062918

"What really hurt me is for my child to see me getting handcuffed and taken away from her," Swinney said. "Twelve hours I was in jail. Twelve hours."
They wouldn't do that for just complaining. It had something to do with all that shouting and disruptive behavior. If you don't want your child to see you handcuffed and hauled away, if you don't want your child in the hands of strangers for a day, then calm the hell down.

Better to err ob the side of caution. These people seem to think they are on a bus, not an airplane.
I suspect a "terrestrial public transit douchebaggery" thread would reveal much more rich results.

I don't think she was erring on the side of caution. I think she was just as pissed to be stuck there as the passengers and took his joke personally instead of laughing along and saying something like "I know, right." Instead she decided to punish this passenger. Did they think there was going to be some sort of mutiny on board? No one has any sense of humor any more.

I don't think she was erring on the side of caution. I think she was just as pissed to be stuck there as the passengers and took his joke personally instead of laughing along and saying something like "I know, right." Instead she decided to punish this passenger. Did they think there was going to be some sort of mutiny on board? No one has any sense of humor any more.
Airline passenges need to calm the fuck down or take a bus. Let the airline take you quickly to your destination by their super strict and safe rules at 35,000 feet or STFU and drive yourself.

Last edited:
I would rather drive than fly, but I wasn't aware that jokes not involving terrorism or bombs were now off limits. I got stuck for hours due to a mechanical, but that was in the good old days when they sent you back into the terminal to wait.

I would rather drive than fly, but I wasn't aware that jokes not involving terrorism or bombs were now off limits. I got stuck for hours due to a mechanical, but that was in the good old days when they sent you back into the terminal to wait.
Drive how far than fly how many miles? Jokes were always off limits if they suspect the joke is because the passenger is an sshole ready to disrupt safety.
Again, if you want the convenience of a cheap flight where someone else carries all the safety responsibilty and liablity then STFU and let them deal with it. It's not like here on DD, where people tell you to STFU just because they disagree and you can bite back. . It's a giant pressurised tube that you paid to carry you up to 35,000 feet then descend to deliver you safe an alive.

Last edited:
Drive how far than fly how many miles? Jokes were always off limits if they suspect the joke is because the passenger is an sshole ready to disrupt safety.
Again, if you want the convenience of a cheap flight where someone else carries all the safety responsibilty and liablity then STFU and let them deal with it. It's not like here on DD, where people tell you to STFU just because they disagree and you can bite back. . It's a giant pressurised tube that you paid to carry you up to 35,000 feet then descend to deliver you safe an alive.
The flight attendant needs to pull the stick out of their ass.

Oh, shut the fuck up, Muriel.

Hat tip @Totemic

This goes in the passenger douchebaggery section. I think this woman must be a very happy right now. She got what she wanted: lots of attention.

29 June 2019
A woman was kicked off a flight after cabin crew told her to change her low-cut and see-through top.

Mum-of-two Harriet Osborne, 31, says she burst into tears after she was made to feel "cheap" when she was told her top was too revealing.

A source claimed some passengers complained to crew that they could see Harriet’s nipples, but she said she was wearing nipple covers and tape.

She said she covered up with a mate’s jumper but was not allowed back on.

Easyjet say she behaved "disruptively towards a member of our crew."

Harriet told The Sun : “The crew were horrible and made me feel cheap. This air hostess confronted me in front of the whole plane and said I wasn’t allowed on in that top.

They made her feel cheap? She didn't know it already?
0-PAY-EN-OSBORNE-25.jpg

Hat tip @Totemic

This goes in the passenger douchebaggery section. I think this woman must be a very happy right now. She got what she wanted: lots of attention.

29 June 2019

0-PAY-EN-OSBORNE-25.jpg
Who the fuck, in their right mind, would wear this anywhere??

Mother of two - the kids are probably embarrassed to be near her ..

Hat tip @Totemic

29 June 2019

0-PAY-EN-OSBORNE-25.jpg
If she still needs to get where she's going, I can drive her...

Oh, she wore pasties so it's okay then. :penguin: If you weren't on your way to the adult film festival or something, then it's definitely inappropriate. I wonder if the designers of this blouse, clearly meant to be worn with a bra or something underneath, ever expected it to be worn sans undergarment.
Post automatically merged:

A 14-year-old boy from Raleigh, North Carolina, flying as an unaccompanied minor endured an all-night ordeal after United Airlines directed him onto a plane heading to the wrong country.

Brenda Berg, the boy's mother, first tweeted to United just before 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, saying her son was placed on the wrong plane during a transfer at Newark Liberty International Airport.

Berg said her son was flying from Raleigh-Durham International Airport, connecting to Stockholm in Newark. He booked his ticket on SAS, a Scandinavian airline. SAS doesn't have a direct flight between Raleigh and Stockholm, so it included a so-called codeshare flight on United from Raleigh to Newark, where the SAS flight was scheduled to depart.

However, Berg said, her son was put on the wrong plane. It was a flight to Düsseldorf, Germany, operated by the German airline Eurowings, a low-cost subsidiary of Lufthansa.

Both Eurowings and SAS operate those flights as codeshares with United.

Berg said the issue began when United forced her to register her son as an unaccompanied minor. He was not allowed to manage his own connection at Newark and was instead brought to a room for unaccompanied minors and led straight to the wrong plane, she said.
[....]
She said that when she arrived at the Raleigh-Durham airport to check her son in for his flight, she was told that because he was 14, she had to pay a $150 fee for the unaccompanied-minor service. United's website says that the service is required for 5- to 14-year-olds who are traveling alone and that it provides airline representatives to assist them.

However, United's website also says that underage passengers connecting to or from partner airlines can't use its unaccompanied-minor service.
[....]
However, because the ticket was sold by SAS, which considers children 11 and under to be minors, the check-in agent decided to allow the teenager onto the connecting flight with the airport escort service.

The paperwork that the 14-year-old was given had the correct flight information on it, but there was a gate change between when it was printed and when he arrived at Newark for the connecting flight. A Eurowings plane, Flight EW1113 to Düsseldorf, was sitting at the gate at that point.

The United representative said the Düsseldorf flight was ready to leave, awaiting one more passenger, who had a similar name as the boy. They were preparing to close the doors, calling the passenger's name, when the person escorting the boy heard the announcements, assumed it was supposed to be him, and rushed him onto the incorrect plane.
[....]
Brenda Berg said her son realized he had been escorted onto the wrong plane and notified a flight attendant at 4:50 p.m., while both planes were still on the ground. The Eurowings plane returned to the gate and let her son off, but the correct flight had already departed.

Berg disputed United's version of what happened, saying the passenger that Eurowings had been calling for as the doors were closing was already on the plane, seated next to her son.

Eventually, she tweeted that SAS helped her son book a later flight going to Copenhagen, Denmark, with a connection on to Stockholm.
[....]
"This is not what we wanted — an international transfer," Berg tweeted. "I have been up all night thinking about the fact that he was one call button away from landing in Germany without being on the manifest!"
[....]
United told Business Insider it had refunded the unaccompanied-minor fee. Berg said she has not heard from the airline since Sunday night.

Berg's son ultimately made it to Stockholm, nearly 10 hours late. However, Berg said she worries about what would have happened under different circumstances.

"If he had been 10, this would have been so much worse," she said. "There's a lot that needs to be fixed, but ultimately, if you're going to have an unaccompanied-minor program, it absolutely has to work correctly."

Last edited:
I'm so directionally challenged that I wouldn't try this by myself, ever, at all. I don't get dropping kids off and saying see ya next week in Stockholm.

Back in the day, my niece and nephew by marriage were sent from Texas to Germany to spend the summer with their military dad. I liaised with the airlines and everything worked out fine, and I was able to talk to them when they got to Atlanta. The airlines did this perfectly and were very reassuring as a result. I think I was in the middle of it, because I had access to a toll-free line at work.

The summer went pretty well for them until the niece returned home with a short haircut that my sis-in-law hadn't been informed about. :D

Back