• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
homelesscamp.jpeg

About a month ago, Oscar Gonzalez said he began hearing late-night voices coming from the alley behind his Pleasant Grove area home and suspected homeless people were camping out.

Gonzalez doesn't use the alley. It's unpaved, there's no access to it from his yard and much of it is barely visible from the street. He says he called 311 to report the problem and never heard back until Tuesday when a Dallas code compliance officer hand-delivered a notice of code violation. It requires Gonzalez clean up his side of the alley within seven calendar days or face an up to $2,000 fine.

"This is not a seven day clean up. I don't have a truck or a trailer to haul this stuff and it's too much," said Gonzalez.

"I don't have $2,000 to pay for this. Nobody does," he added.

He says three other neighbors received the same notice.

"I was very disappointed, I was very upset. I'm trying to figure out how can I get some help," said neighbor Kenneth Harper.

Harper pointed to the used needles and syringes that litter the alley along with garbage and human waste. There is toilet seat balanced on top of a bucket and tents – all signs people have been camping in the alley.

"If it's my garbage, I take it to the dumpster but it's not mine."

The City of Dallas initially told NBC 5 as long as crews observe some progress within seven days, more time can be granted to be in compliance, but that picking up debris is the property owner's responsibility.

Late Wednesday, the city confirmed the Office of Homeless Solutions will assist code compliance to resolve the haz-mat portion of the clean-up.
[....]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is bullshit. If anything, the homeless should be charged with trespassing, dumping, and littering and forced to pay the fines themselves. Of course, it's not like you'll get a dime from them, so might as well threaten the homeowner who has exploitable assets.

This nonsense is why taxes exist. This is not a massive budget setback for a town, why are they so pissy about it? Create a task force, clean that shit up. That's what my city does. Cheap bastards.

Dallas is walking a fine line on this one. I just looked up the laws concerning alleys and easements there. City of Dallas is responsible for maintenance. By them claiming the landowners are responsible, they can be setting themselves up to lose the alleyways legally. Its already happening in a couple of Dallas areas. City has refused to take care of their ground, homeowners are starting to fence off the alleys and the city is having a problem regaining access to utility points.

I believe that if I lived in Dallas and had to call 311 I would get a reference number for my call, then cite it if I got a nastygram from the city. "I told you about this problem a month ago, and got Reference # so and so. And now you're going to make ME fix YOUR problem, a problem that I told YOU about a MONTH ago?!"

--Al

I believe that if I lived in Dallas and had to call 311 I would get a reference number for my call, then cite it if I got a nastygram from the city. "I told you about this problem a month ago, and got Reference # so and so. And now you're going to make ME fix YOUR problem, a problem that I told YOU about a MONTH ago?!"

--Al
Absolutely, that would be the logical and organized way to handle it. Unfortunately, these people apparently don't have their thinking caps on (if they ever had them). They need to be more proactive.

I live downtown. The place has a homeless problem. I bought a house with a fenced in yard. If I was this guy I’d clean that shit and then fence it up. Fuck the city. I used to have sympathy. I lost it when I caught some drunk dude pissing in my front yard at 2am.

My brother had a shed behind his house. A couple of homeless people broke the lock and moved into it.

He called the police and he was told he would have to evict them.
Knowing it would take 2 to 3 months, he went to the shed and knocked on the door, when they answered, he said I'll give you $100 if you pack up your stuff and leave by 8am. I have to go to the bank in the morning to get the hundred dollars.
If you stay, I'll evict you and you wont get any money.
At 8 am, their stuff was all packed and gone. They were waiting for the hundred dollars. He handed them the money and as soon as they walked away, he took the shed down.

My brother had a shed behind his house. A couple of homeless people broke the lock and moved into it.

He called the police and he was told he would have to evict them.
Knowing it would take 2 to 3 months, he went to the shed and knocked on the door, when they answered, he said I'll give you $100 if you pack up your stuff and leave by 8am. I have to go to the bank in the morning to get the hundred dollars.
If you stay, I'll evict you and you wont get any money.
At 8 am, their stuff was all packed and gone. They were waiting for the hundred dollars. He handed them the money and as soon as they walked away, he took the shed down.
You mean they were not arrested for trespassing??

Back