• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An 11-year-old boy has returned home after three years in the hospital from a gunshot wound to the head inflicted by his mom.

The then-eight-year-old Joey Slaight from Montfort, Wisconsin, sustained life-threatening injuries after his mother shot him, his younger brother and herself on Jan. 2, 2015.

The 27-year-old mother, Morgan Slaight, was a recovering methamphetamine addict and died 11 days from her self-inflicted gunshot wound after being placed into a medically induced coma.

Her younger son Jaxon, who was six-years-old during the shooting, died at the home which belonged to Morgan's sister.

But against all odds, Joey was able to survive the bullet that hit him near his left eye.

He was considered a 'goner' when he arrived to the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison after being shot from point-blank range with a .22-caliber handgun.

The injury he sustained was on the left side of his brain, which caused doctors to worry about his motor, language and speech skills as he recovered.

But one year after the shooting, Joey was talking in sentences, running, jumping and completing puzzles on his own, the Wisconsin State Journal reported.

After his initial recovery period in the hospital, he was moved to a full-time brain rehabilitation treatment facility near Tulsa, Oklahoma, to recover.

The facility is near his dad's family, who was not with his two sons and estranged wife when the shooting occurred.

His dad, Tyler, was also a recovering meth user who struggled with addiction.

Tyler and Morgan lost custody of their children at one point because of their addiction before they were able to get Jaxon and Joey back.

The mom was living with her sister and children in Montfort when she started suffering from severe depression.

Morgan went to a mental health institute after threatening to commit suicide, but she was released one day before she decided to shoot herself and her two children.

The 11-year-old's progress has baffled neurosurgeons from UW Hospital because he was never expected to recover any quality of life after the gunshot wound.

On Saturday, after 38 months and 29 days in the hospital and rehabilitation centers, Joey went home. His family announced his return on a Facebook page dedicated to his recovery called 'Joey Strong'.

'This boy has fought, scraped, clawed and willed his way to recovery,' the post read.

'We just want everyone to know how your prayers have moved mountains over the last 3 years. As we all said our goodbyes today to the staff who have become family at his neurological rehabilitation facility, Joey smiled and simply said: "I am going home, finally".'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5569803/Boy-11-returns-home-three-years-mom-shot-head.html
[doublepost=1522694819,1522694783][/doublepost]
4AC3716B00000578-5569803-image-m-20_1522678209155.jpg

He looks pretty good. It's sure nice that Dad stepped up, cleaned himself up and hopefully becomes the father this boy needs.

Dad,
Please stay clean.
Joey needs you more than you can know.
Both of you need one another and share a common strength.

Morgan went to a mental health institute after threatening to commit suicide, but she was released one day before she decided to shoot herself and her two children.

It sounds like someone missed something here ... tragic!

I remember telling the staff I wasn't ready to be discharged, they asked me if I was suicidal, I told them I was. We talked ... we went over my suicide plan. (it was impossible) I sobbed when he pointed out its flaw. He left my room thinking I was going to be safe, And I started to tidy up my room, thought to do some laundry, because I didn't want to pack dirty clothes ... And the next thing I knew, I was cutting the string on my laundry bag with nail clippers, cause ... new plan! They kept me for seven months after that ...

I feel conflicted ... its so sad, this girl probably could have been helped, but at the same time ... Happy ending for Joey.

Last edited:
He looks pretty good. It's sure nice that Dad stepped up, cleaned himself up and hopefully becomes the father this boy needs.
Dad is looking really healthy, I'd guess 2 years clean in that pic?
Dad,
Please stay clean.
Joey needs you more than you can know.
Both of you need one another and share a common strength.
Dad has a real purpose now, I think they could heal each other.

See many of these story's we see don't mention drugs when first written Only mentally un balanced ..but shooting your kids self etc is very common occurance
With DRUG USERS.
Some just go nuts and beyond saving period
More power to the ones who can see the light

All drug addicts deserve to die.

Who in the fuck were the otehr family members who allowed the scumbag drug addict parents to regain custody? A parent should NEVER be able to get their kids back in a drug/neglect situation, EVER.

If that's the dad in the picture, he looks like a fucking douchebag. Fuck him.

Back