• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SoUncool

With my all by myself...
If any of the mods think this would be better over in three things, that's fine with me.

The kid has beautiful hair and I think this is an honorable tradition that his parents are trying to instill. Rock on Adriel! :rockon: Oh and check out Mom's shirt...

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6239670

FORT BEND COUNTY -- The parents of a kindergartener in Fort Bend County are fighting for his right to have long hair in school. They say it's about freedom of religion. The Needville Independent School District says it needs proof.

When Adriel Arocha, 5, was born, his father, Kenney, vowed to teach him his heritage.

32zpegz.jpg

"We feel that it's important to raise him as Native American until he's able to make a choice," said Kenny.

And part of that heritage meant he would not cut his son's hair, believing hair holds spiritual meaning.

"It tells us how long I've been here, by your hair, so it's your history," Adriel said.

"It's our tradition it's what we do," Kenney said.

All that was fine until Adriel's parents planned to enroll the five-year-old at Needville Elementary School. Despite promising to keep his hair neatly braided, the district refused to accept him.

"I knew they would probably be a little difficult but I didn't expect it to be this bad," said his mother Michelle Betenbaugh.

District policy clearly states student's hair needs to be kept out of the eyes.

No hair can cover any part of the ear, a standard collar and no tufts or tails are allowed. The superintendent says exceptions are made for religion, but Adriel's parents have yet to provide proof of their beliefs.

"I was trying to find out what recognized religion they are that discusses they cannot cut their hair and the information I received then was basically it's their choice," said Needville ISD Superintendent Curtis Rhodes.

Near the school some residents felt the district was going too far.

"I don't think longer hair than their ears is going to hurt their education," said Needville resident Jana Hausler.

"If it has to do with his religion, I don't think anyone should infringe on their religious rights," resident Jamie Hausler said.

Adriel's parents say they plan to appeal the decision, even if it means going to court.

"You can't deny a person their rights," Kenney said.

As for Adriel himself, he's pretty clear what he wants.

Last edited:
They need to clean their house if they are going to be inviting the tv folks over.

Maybe not cleaning their house is also part of their "religious" native american heritage too. It will be interesting to see if they will consider their spiritual beliefs as a "religion."

This is fucking dumb, the school should not be allowed to dictate how long or short a kids hair can be. Period. Are they going to make all the girls in the school cut their hair? Or just this kid because he has a penis? It's really fucking dumb, the school is really ignorant, and the parents need to learn to homeschool appropriately if they can't beat this kind of bullshit.

Didn't we go through this about a hundred years ago. I seem to recall the white man being shamed for forcing the children of native americans to attend white schools, give up their language and their heritage. I don't remember if the courts ever got involved back then. I can't believe someone in this day and age thinks it's OK to try and rob this boy of his culture because it's different than theirs.

Back