• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

It was supposed to be a fun and uneventful spring break. But on the first day of her week-long vacation, a well-loved Coral Springs athlete met with tragedy on her way to Ft. Lauderdale beach.

Riding with friends, Kendell Williams, 17, was traveling eastbound on I-595 when the driver said she was cut off, causing a multi-car accident. Although the driver insisted that all the passengers had their seatbelts on when they began the trip, Kendell, along with another passenger, was ejected from the car.

Transported to Broward Health, she was placed in a medically induced coma after sustaining a fractured skull, swelling of the brain and other injuries. Sadly, Kendell passed away five days later.

“She [the driver] is just a child. She didn’t mean for any of this to happen,” said her mother Rhonda.

Originally from Trinidad, Rhonda said their deep faith is helping the family through this. The 54-year-old single parent is holding a Nine-Night ritual to honor Kendell or “Kendii” to family and friends. A Nine-Night ritual is a Caribbean form of a wake, except for their family, it’s more a celebration of her daughter’s life than it is a time of mourning.

Kendell leaves behind her parents Rhonda and Courtney, sisters, nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles, a Maltese named Niko, as well as many friends who have continued to celebrate her life.

God, when I think of all the times when on a warm spring day that we ditched school after second period and headed to the beach. We crammed into cars like sardines, radio blaring, passing cigarettes and pop cans as we sang along to the latest and greatest. Death was not a concept or consideration.

Back