• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A violent thug who’d been bailed out by a nonprofit — only to viciously choke and sexually violate a young woman in the Bronx a week after he was sprung — will stay behind bars for the next 18 years under a plea deal he took Wednesday.

Lynneke Burris, 30, of Brooklyn, already had a lengthy rap sheet, including for violent muggings, and had been jailed on a new assault charge when The Bronx Freedom Fund posted his $1,000 bail on April 5.

On April 12, he followed a 23-year-old high school English teacher into the elevator of her apartment building, choking her there until she passed out.

Then he dragged her into a stairwell. When she regained consciousness, he ordered her to remove her clothing and sexually attacked her.

On Wednesday, Burris repeatedly said “Yes” to Bronx Supreme Court Justice Ralph Fabrizio as he was asked if he’d squeezed the woman’s neck until she passed out, and then committed one count of criminal sex act in the first degree.

Under the plea deal, he did not admit to the more serious charge of violent rape, thus avoiding a trial that could have resulted in a longer sentence, but which would have required the victim to testify in open court.

On Feb. 13, Burris will return to court to be sentenced to 18 years prison and 20 years probation.Before the end of his sentence, a determination could be made that he is too dangerous to be released due to mental illness, the judge told him.

The Bronx Freedom Fund did not respond to a request for comment
https://nypost.com/2019/01/16/man-w...utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
1547684860821.png

Does the non-profit get their bail money back instantly then? The dude clearly isn’t going to miss his trial for his earlier charges.

The nonprofit likely bails out people who can’t afford small fees, possibly regardless of what they did. It is absolutely shitty that wealthy people can skip jail time before trial while poor people are stuck for minor offenses.

But fuck this guy.

From the link it says his charges that resulted in the bail were:

Sources say The Bronx Freedom Fund fronted $1,000 to spring Lynneke Burris, 30, from jail on April 5 after he was busted for allegedly punching a man in the face and carrying crack.

I can see why a nonprofit doesn’t think a man should stay in jail for that. That basically is a sentence for being poor. Too bad it definitely did not work out this time.

This is the risk you run when you sponsor somebody to get out of jail on bail. You run the risk of becoming morally involved with their actions while they're out on bail. Which in this case are pretty heinous. This prick should be locked away forever and never see the light of day again

Last edited:
I still think they should be choosier about who they bail out.
This is the Rescue Run when you sponsor somebody to get out of jail on bail. You run the risk of becoming morally involved with their actions while they're out on bail.
I don't blame the non-profit for bailing anyone out. Setting bail comes down to the Judge and if the Judge feels that person should be let out before trial, then the Judge is the one responsible.

I find it interesting, the concept of "jailed for being poor". He was jailed for assault and having illegal drugs. We have a system that, should you have the funds, you pay a fee to be out until court. That is not a right, but a privilege. If your to poor to pay the fee, don't commit the crime. Personally, I think most of our justice system is failing. However, if people stop being ass hats to each other, stop committing the crimes, then these are things we don't have to worry about. We have to start holding the correct people accountable.

I find it interesting, the concept of "jailed for being poor". He was jailed for assault and having illegal drugs. We have a system that, should you have the funds, you pay a fee to be out until court. That is not a right, but a privilege. If your to poor to pay the fee, don't commit the crime. Personally, I think most of our justice system is failing. However, if people stop being ass hats to each other, stop committing the crimes, then these are things we don't have to worry about. We have to start holding the correct people accountable.
OK, but saying that people should simply behave differently isn't ever actually going to reduce crime... Poverty is a disease and people in poverty aren't ever going to randomly start acting differently just because they should. I agree bail is a privilege and not a right, but there are many more ways that the criminal justice system is heavily weighted against poor people.

Back