• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Jorge Ortega was sentenced to 25 years in prison and five years of probation Friday for the death of 14-month-old Jayden Dayea last year.

The judge said she disagreed with the defense portrayal of the death as the result of an “accident” or “lapse of judgment,” the District Attorney’s Office said in a news release.

When paramedics responded to a rescue call in Northeast Albuquerque on Feb. 29, 2016, they found the child covered in bruises and a crowd of neighbors trying to help his mother revive him, according to court documents. The boy was pronounced dead at the scene.

Detectives subsequently arrested Ortega, the boyfriend of the toddler’s mother, at the scene and charged him with child abuse resulting in death.

Jayden’s mother, Jessica Dayea, told police she left her son alone that day with Ortega when she went to work at 6:30 a.m., according to a criminal complaint. She said Jayden had no marks or bruises on him that morning.

Around 1:30 p.m., Ortega called and told Dayea there was “something up” with her son, according to the complaint.

Dayea told detectives she found Jayden unresponsive and carried him outside, crying for help. Neighbors and paramedics jumped in, but the child could not be revived.

Investigators at the time said Jayden had blood in his mouth and several large bruises on his forehead, behind his ears and beginning to form on his stomach, and Ortega had blood on his chest, according to the complaint.

Police were unable to interview Ortega right away because he appeared to be intoxicated.

Ortega, wearing shackles and a bright orange MDC jumpsuit, apologized to the boy’s family moments after entering his plea.

“I just didn’t call for help in time,” he said. “I’m deeply sorry.”

Prosecutor Haley Murphy said in court that 75 percent of the child’s head was covered in scrapes and bruises and he had innumerable bruises to his chest and abdomen.

He probably starting beating on this baby the minute the mother walked out the door.

Back