• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Jackson police officer has been demoted after dropping his K-9 off at a local animal shelter.

Officer Carl Ellis was the handler for Ringo, a K-9 who retired from the force in October. After his retirement in October, Ringo was surrendered to a local animal shelter, according to an emailed statement issued by the Jackson Police Department on Tuesday night.

Ringo was "thought to be living with his handler" but, unbeknownst to JPD, was adopted from the shelter, said Sgt. Roderick Holmes. Once the department learned of Ringo's surrender and later adoption, Ellis was "reassigned to patrol duty."

"The Jackson Police Department respects and holds our canines with high regard just as we do any other officer within our department," the statement read. "They are family, and we do not feel they deserve anything less than a loving home in retirement."

In 2000, Congress passed and then-President Bill Clinton signed Robby's Law to allow retired military and police dogs to be adopted by their handlers. Until then, these dogs were usually euthanized. The dogs' handlers are given first priority to adopt.

Ringo, along with fellow veteran JPD K-9 Alpha, sniffed out drugs and were used for search and rescue and tracking.

At the time of their retirement, Detective Anthony Fox said, ""They served the city very well,. Hundreds of thousands of dollars, uncountable seizures with narcotics. They can be a dog now."

To prevent any other retired K9s from being surrendered, Davis has "immediately implemented protocol which requires quarterly welfare checks for all canines, both active duty and retired."

"Additionally, policy is currently being drafted that will address specific requirements related to retired canines and their welfare, so that they are provided with the best care possible."
https://www.clarionledger.com/story...doned-animal-shelter-officer-demoted/22803260
1544934626046.png

Ringo [•••]was adopted from the shelter,

. we do not feel they deserve anything less than a loving home in retirement."
It sounds like he finally got that.

. Ringo, along with fellow veteran JPD K-9 Alpha, sniffed out drugs and were used for search and rescue and tracking.

I feel Ringo is where he should be.
Who ever adopted him did it for love, companionship and because they wanted a dog.

The officer had the dog as a tool to do a job. When the tool didn't work anymore, he was discarded.

Dog bless you Ringo and your new family.

So, did he actualy violate any existing policy? Sounds like theyre putting some shit in place as a result, but im not reading that he did anything wrong by giving up the dog.

So, did he actualy violate any existing policy? Sounds like theyre putting some shit in place as a result, but im not reading that he did anything wrong by giving up the dog.
Yes it is likely that he has violated an existing policy. Most Police Services have a clause for their K-9 officers that after the dogs retire they have to remain homed with the officer they have been bonded to. The cop would have known what he was signing on for and by violating it he proves he's an a****** as well.

He abandoned his partner. That's compounded by the fact that he did nothing to rehome the dog within the department.

So let's just assume the dog wasn't working out for whatever reason. Maybe he was mean with kids, maybe he started dating someone that didn't get along with the dog. What was the protocol? Should he have notified the police? Would they have found him another home or euthanized him? There are some unanswered questions here that need answers before everyone just throws this guy under the bus.

FWIW, I am in the process of adopting a greyhound and as part of the agreement I have to agree not to sell to a 3rd party or take the dog to a shelter without notifying the track that I get him from. I believe they will rehome the dog but am not sure.

If he didn't want the dog any longer, taking him to a shelter and a new home was the right thing to do.
maybe he should have offered the dog to a fellow officer first or should have announced his intentions, I do not have a problem with giving up the dog. Not every police or military dog retires well. Dogs are individuals too. Need to know more facts on the individual case.

So let's just assume the dog wasn't working out for whatever reason. Maybe he was mean with kids, maybe he started dating someone that didn't get along with the dog. What was the protocol? Should he have notified the police? Would they have found him another home or euthanized him? There are some unanswered questions here that need answers before everyone just throws this guy under the bus.

FWIW, I am in the process of adopting a greyhound and as part of the agreement I have to agree not to sell to a 3rd party or take the dog to a shelter without notifying the track that I get him from. I believe they will rehome the dog but am not sure.
. Ringo, along with fellow veteran JPD K-9 Alpha, sniffed out drugs and were used for search and rescue and tracking.
If he was retired from criminal apprehension then I would wonder about his disposition.
Drug sniffing and search and rescue dogs are known for their happy go lucky personality.
The guys a dick for dumping him.
If it wasn't working for some reason, he should have talked it over with his supervisor so an appropriate home could have been hand picked.

Having worked at a shelter for 22 years, I know how critical it is when a dog is dropped at a shelter.
#1 did he actually admit to the staff that this was a retired police dog??
I'm suspecting he did not.
I feel if he had, the shelter would have contacted to Dept.

Dogs surrendered to a shelter can be put down at anytime for any reason.
Kennel cough is a death sentence.
Over crowded and kennel space is needed. Sometimes dogs get depressed when left at a shelter. A depressed dod that is withdrawn will be the choice to go if the shelter is crowded or the dog is continuing to be passed over.

The guys a dick. That dog gave his life doing a job and he deserved a cozy retirement.

Back