• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A 3-month-old baby is dead and her mother is in the hospital after being missing for more than 30 hours.

Police say the mother, Rachel McAfee, is being treated for "cold-related injuries" at Eskenazi Hospital, while the coroner investigates how her infant daughter, Emma, died.

Investigators are calling this a criminal investigation and plan to question McAfee when they can.

According to police, someone who lived in the north side neighborhood called police just before 3 p.m. Tuesday about a car that seemed out of place.

When police got on scene, they found Rachel McAfee and her 3-month-old daughter Emma, both who had been missing since Monday morning, inside.

"The medics pronounced the infant deceased here on the scene," said IMPD Commander Chris Bailey.

McAfee's husband, John, spoke with Eyewitness News just a few hours before getting the tragic news about his baby girl.

John McAfee said he realized his wife and daughter were missing when his wife didn't drop Emma off at his parents Monday morning as expected. He said his wife also missed a meeting scheduled for 11 that morning.

"My biggest concern is my daughter. She's only three months old. Obviously, she can't fend for herself. My wife can. My wife's not the most fit mentally, currently, so that's a big concern," John McAfee said earlier Tuesday, before the tragic discovery of his daughter.

According to McAfee, his wife had been struggling with depression.

"She had a little bit of depression going on. Just hasn't been her normal self," he said.

A mother arrested on a neglect charge in the death of her three-month-old infant daughter appeared intoxicated when police found her, investigators say.

Today, prosecutors officially charged the mother Rachel McAfee with neglect of a dependent causing death.

When officers arrived, they found the car wasn’t running, the vehicle was out of gas, and the battery was dead. McAfee’s baby daughter, Emma, was on the passenger side floorboard; the baby was “cold to the touch and appeared to be deceased,” according to court documents. Medics pronounced her dead at 3:17 p.m.

Police said the temperature at the time was nine degrees.

Police found a bottle of rum in the vehicle and said McAfee appeared to be intoxicated.

According to court records, McAfee left her home on Indy's far east side Monday morning to take her 3-month-old daughter to her in-laws house before attending an intervention to address her alleged alcoholism.

“She’s drank since I’ve known her, but it’s gotten out of control the last couple of years. That’s kind of when all this started spiraling,” said John McAfee.

In fact, police reports show just last week officers were called to check on Rachel’s emotional welfare and John told police, “Rachel is known to drink alcohol until she passes out.”

Her husband also said Emma didn’t make it to her last scheduled doctor’s appointing on Feb. 22 because his wife had consumed too much alcohol and passed out.

The probable cause affidavit continues that Rachel, “ Had short term memory loss about the death of her child and no concept of time.”

One local attorney says that may complicate the case.

“Did she know for instance if the car was going to run out of gas instead of keeping the child warm? What did she know and when did she know it,” said attorney John Tompkins.

This baby is not going to get any justice.

They knew the depression was worse, they knew she missed her last appointment because she was drunk. The fucking police came out to do a welfare check and everyone still thought it was okay for her to have the baby, alone?

Jesus.

The father should be charged with neglect and/or child endangerment as well.

First Name RACHEL
Middle NameE
Last NameMCAFEE
Earliest Possible Release Date* 04/07/2029

Sentence Information
Date of Sentence10/29/2021
DescriptionNEGLECT OF A DEPENDENT W/ SERIOUS INJURY
Term in Years / Months / Days

1678658129371.png

Last edited:
First Name RACHEL
Middle NameE