• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A 2-year-old child is dead after a house fire in Laurel County.

The fire broke out at a home around 12:30 a.m. Saturday. Kentucky State Police say they were called to the scene around 1 a.m.

The child's body was later found inside the home. Troopers have identified the victim as Joseph Brock.

Investigators say the father of the victim, 26-year-old Vaughn Brock, was able to get out of the house, but left the scene on foot shortly after the home caught fire. Troopers are still trying to find him.

Neighbors tell WKYT they heard a loud explosion and went outside to see what had happened. They reportedly saw Vaughn Brock, who told them he couldn’t find his child before he left the scene.

The child's mother was at work at the time of the fire.

Police have not given any information about how the fire started. They are hoping to find the father and get more information about what happened.

The child's body has been sent to Frankfort for an autopsy.

Wednesday afternoon, Kentucky State Police detectives found Vaughn Brock at an apartment complex in the Keavy community of Laurel County.

Brock is now at the Laurel County Detention Center, charged with murder and arson

The arrest citation for the Laurel County man charged with murder and arson accuses him of leaving his son inside a washing machine.

Kentucky State Police say Vaughn Brock, 26, is charged with murder and first-degree arson following the death of his toddler son Joseph Brock. Vaughn Brock was found at an apartment complex in Keavy.

Kentucky State Police said Vaughn Brock left the home following the fire and wasn't seen in days.

His arrest citation says Vaughn Brock had smoked a joint and fell asleep on the couch with his son. When he woke up, there was fire and smoke, but his son was no longer in sight. Brock had blisters on his ring and middle finger on his right hand but no other injuries. He would claim the burns came from a baby gate when he tried to cross it, but investigators say that was inconsistent with his injuries.

Brock claimed he was unaware the child was in the washing machine, but when detectives asked if the child was acting up he said "yes." He wouldn't answer additional questions and asked to talk to a lawyer.

@Satanica
Vaughn Brock’s mother, Angie Brock, spoke to WKYT after the hearing and said that she believed her grandson, who died days before his second birthday, may have started the March 30 fire instead of her son.

She told the news station that Joseph was found once with a cigarette lighter and that she believed he might have gotten a hold of a lighter and accidentally caused the fire that killed him.

I can understand the mother not wanting to believe that her son could murder his own child.

But I think she should have not agreed to this interview or placed the blame on the child.

Her son is a coward who left his child to die either at his own hands or his negligence.

Sometimes no comment is the best way to go.

Vaughn Brock pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter in the death of his toddler son.

The 23-month old child was found dead inside a washing machine after the father reportedly set his house on fire.

Brock was accused of killing a toddler, who was found dead by firefighters after they were able to bring the house fire under control.

News sources say neighbors could hear the toddler screaming during the fire. Winesses say they saw Vaughn run from the house during the fire.

The motion to amend the murder charge to manslaughter was filed by Commonwealth's Attorney Jackie Steele on April 29, prior to Brock entering the guilty plea.

Steele said that the investigation into the fire and child's death was conducted by the Kentucky State Police Arson Division and the federal ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) Division and determined that the fire originated in the area that Brock described. He added that no accelerants were found, which eliminated an intentional arson.

As for the child's death, Steele said that was another area that came under close scrutiny.

"There was a pile of laundry a few feet high by the washer that the child could have climbed up and gotten into the washing machine," he explained. "I was in the trailer with the two arson investigators and we even sent off five or six items to the crime lab. We could not prove that the fire or the child's death was intentional. The child's cause of death was smoke inhalation. Had there not been that pile of laundry by the washer, I would have argued that there was no way the child of that age could have gotten into the washer by himself."

The fact that Brock admitted that he had been using drugs and passed out, however, allowed for "wanton conduct," which does fall under the state's guidelines for second-degree manslaughter charge.

"That was the highest charge I could go for and they came to us (Commonwealth Attorneys) with an offer to plea to second-degree manslaughter so that's what we settled on," he said. "Am I happy with it? No. But I couldn't prove intentional arson or intentional murder so we settled for the maximum penalty for second-degree manslaughter."

1691297423869.jpeg

BROCK, VAUGHN ASHLEY II

Institution Start Date: 5/24/2021
Expected Time To Serve (TTS): 8/8/2025

Minimum Expiration of Sentence Date (Good Time Release Date): ? 8/08/2025
Parole Eligibility Date:
Maximum Expiration of Sentence Date: 3/18/2029

MANSLAUGHTER-2ND DEGREE Sentence Length: 10 years 0 months 0 days

Parole Information​

(Parole Hearings are conducted 60 days prior to Parole Date)​

Parole Board Website

Hearing DateHearing ActionMonths DeferredNext Parole Eligibility DateProposed Release Date
7/19/2023 Serve Out N/A
8/10/2021 Deferred 24 9/01/2023

Back