• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A 10-month-old boy choked on a pine cone and died at a Raleigh daycare on Wednesday morning, investigators told WRAL.

According to the boy’s grandmother, she dropped Areon Ellington off at the daycare Wednesday morning. A few hours later, she got a phone call.

“The daycare lady called me and told me that I needed to get to the daycare because Areon was choking on something,” Helena Harris said.

So far, no charges have been filed in the case.

WRAL found the daycare, which is operated out of a home, had violations including hazardous items found on the property, health assessment filing issues, and daily schedules not being maintained.

August 26, 2019
The death of a 10-month-old boy who choked on a pinecone at a Raleigh day care center is a tragic accident, and no criminal charges will be filed against employees there, according to the Wake County District Attorney's Office.
The state Department of Health and Human Services suspended the license of A Hug a Day Care on Adcox Place in south Raleigh after the death of Areon Ellington in May.

During an interview Monday at their home, the boy's mother has several photos of her baby.

"It still bothers me," Ashawna Ellington, 15, said. "I don't like looking at other people's children because I look at them (and will think) 'he didn't get to do that' or I didn't get to do that with him."

State records show A Hug a Day Care had a list of past violations, including a report in January that the home-based day care had more than its allowable limit of children under the age of 2, and one that found a space heater was in reach of children.

North Carolina's star rating system labels A Hug A Day as a three-star facility out of a possible five.

Harris said the center should consider whether it wants to continue operating, although it appears the Raleigh in-home daycare is now permanently closed, according to a Google search.

"If you can no longer handle being a day care provider, you need to get out of the business," she said. "She's been in the business for a long time, and like I'm saying, this is negligence. He shouldn't have been outside as hot as it was."

The boy's relatives said they are shocked to know the daycare’s operator won’t face any criminal charges.

The owner "shouldn't just simply go get another job and push this under the rug," Harris said. "We can't do that."

The boy's mother said she still has many questions for the daycare operator.

"Why weren't you watching him? Why did you have him on the ground? He couldn't walk (and) he could barely crawl. He could barely sit up on his own<" Ellington said.

She adds that she wants to spend her time working to keep his memory alive.

"I have a lot of things I want to do," she said

Last edited:
Back