• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Good grief, that's hideous.
Imagine an afterschool child care business that tried to manage 8-10 abused/neglected/problem children per person - it'd be damn near impossible to keep up with all of them.
I was the only one with that house [as we did 3/4 day on 24/7] that kept my door unlocked and then sometimes open to keep an ear or eye on them. These were offenders out of juvie on probation, not just runaways

Last edited:
Someone in the family has finally spoken out, the adoptive mom.

Apparently Serenity was adopted at age 4. Her adoptive parents got a divorce later with the mom retaining joint custody but the dad taking physical custody(seems they did some shared stuff for a while until father moved a distance away). She also says ex-husband was always able to handle the kid better, could explain why they went with the custody arrangement they did. Still odd to me that the adoptive mom seemed to forgo any real/significant custody arrangement. Still somewhat odd to me that instead of callin up ex-wife to take the kid in if it was being problematic, this guy goes childrens home. Gotta wonder if there was just typical bad blood/spite between exes, or if there was legit cause for him not to care to come talking.

Adoptive mom doesnt SEEM like a scumbag, but that can be hard to tell some times. She had no idea girl was put in Childrens Home, still doesn't know exactly why ex-husband put her in Childrens Home, ex-husband and his family didn't tell her when Serenity went missing and instead she found it out thru a facebook post she read while at work. Hard to say what a seemingly scumbag thing that is to do without knowin what the relationship was like between the two, but on face value it seems pretty fucked up not to immediately call up your ex and clue em in on what's goin on.

Kinda odd how collected the woman is. Even chuckles at a couple points. They address the question of whether she could have taken Serenity, and the adoptive mom laughs as she replies to the effect of, haha we wish we did. Weird.. Then again it's been a month, maybe got the tears out already.

Strikes me this woman didnt care about the kid TOO much, certainly not as if it were her own no shit birth child.

Last edited:
I don't get this. Considering they didn't tell the adoptive mother, I think it's more likely that no one visited her. But is this backtracking, is it shitty journalism, or did I misread it?

Serenity's room is a constant reminder for Chad, 37, and his wife Kasandra, 25, that Serenity has been missing for nearly two months after running away Feb. 3 from the Children's Home near Rockerville.
While the couple hasn't seen the 9-year-old in a long time, they can still lovingly recall her personality.

[...]

The family saw Serenity four or five times a month, either for family therapy sessions or just to visit. Chad and Kasandra also took their daughter home during holidays. Serenity was allowed to call them twice a week, and she called each time she had the chance.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_c04bd9d8-443d-5fc0-b192-c35dbfc43320.html

@JackBurton The RAD diagnosis in Turd’s update today certainly explains why adoptive mom seemed so detached. It is extremely difficult to bond with a child that has RAD. Parents should have special training before placement, otherwise it’s very likely to disrupt.

My kiddo has attachment issues (not full blown RAD) and it’s been a rough ride, but she is bonded to me. We got her at 7 months. I thought it’d be as easy as bonding with my bio kids but it didn’t come naturally— I had to learn how she wanted to be nurtured. For a while I really questioned if I was a good mother.

@JackBurton The RAD diagnosis in Turd’s update today certainly explains why adoptive mom seemed so detached. It is extremely difficult to bond with a child that has RAD. Parents should have special training before placement, otherwise it’s very likely to disrupt.

My kiddo has attachment issues (not full blown RAD) and it’s been a rough ride, but she is bonded to me. We got her at 7 months. I thought it’d be as easy as bonding with my bio kids but it didn’t come naturally— I had to learn how she wanted to be nurtured. For a while I really questioned if I was a good mother.

Yeah def explains a lot.

Ive had the misfortune of raising a kid that was just god fucking awful, shockingly disobedient, disrespectful to the max, misbehaved on a literal CONSTANT basis, runaway attempts, exhibited lot of the behaviors/traits they say are common to RAD nutters. Dont know if they had RAD or anything like that or if it was just genetic personality disorder shit or what, but i can def understand not really giving too much of a shit about a kid goin missin. It woulda been sad knowing harm woulda come to em and woulda been sad remembering the very very very rare and miniscule positive times i had with em, but if you sat me down for a news interview certainly a month+ after they vanished, i dont think id be able to demonstrate any genuine significant showings of sorrow or sadness or anything of the sort.

I think more than anything this helps understand where the adoptive dad was coming from. That was the biggest question i think, why was this girl put in this home. Very understandable situation for sure.

I don't get this. Considering they didn't tell the adoptive mother, I think it's more likely that no one visited her. But is this backtracking, is it shitty journalism, or did I misread it?

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_c04bd9d8-443d-5fc0-b192-c35dbfc43320.html

I dont understand your confusion.

The parents say she was the most wonderful girl, smart, charming, intelligent, wise beyond her years. And incorrigible, unmanageable, unbalanced, learning disabilities. So many extremes.
Was the poor girl also on meds?

ETA Clarification: I'm not feeling much sincerity from these eulogy type remarks. People feel pressure to react certain ways then say things that don't ring true because naturally they haven't had any practice with missing children. If they had said "She's such trouble and strife for the entire family, we don't know what to do, we are at the end of our rope, she's a bright light in her good times, but the rest of the time is a demoralizing battle..." Then I would feel more sympathy, but the internet would pile on.
And I seriously wonder about meds and side effects in one so young. Trying to stop one disorder may have created worse.

Last edited:
That should probably read that a kid had the misfortune of being raised by you.

This def would be true for some of em. I care more about teachin a kid right from wrong and that actions have consequences than i do about giving them a happy, fun childhood. Some of the delinquents ive reared no doubt have very few, if any positive memories from when they were kids. That is evidence to me that i did my job as a parent.

Holy shit. I can't imagine this poor girls life and how awful it would be to have that be the memory that one would associate Christmas with.
To be honest thats probably more on her adoptive parents than it is a real memory. She was adopted at 4, meaning she was in the system before that. Adoptions aren't instant. More than likely she would be far to small to even remember being taken. What she would remember however was her parents only 6 months earlier dumping her at a home for bad kids.. and then getting a new baby. In her mind it could look like they gave her away and replaced her
Post automatically merged:

Once Serenity was removed from her family, "she was tossed through foster homes," about 12-13 homes in two years
She was taken when she was around 2. She won't remember being taken. She might remember the foster home shuffle, probably not. Doesn't mean it didn't impact her behaviour, but she more than likely won't remember it

Last edited:
To be honest thats probably more on her adoptive parents than it is a real memory. She was adopted at 4, meaning she was in the system before that. Adoptions aren't instant. More than likely she would be far to small to even remember being taken. What she would remember however was her parents only 6 months earlier dumping her at a home for bad kids.. and then getting a new baby. In her mind it could look like they gave her away and replaced her

She was taken when she was around 2. She won't remember being taken. She might remember the foster home shuffle, probably not. Doesn't mean it didn't impact her behaviour, but she more than likely won't remember it
Taken at two and then shuffled through fosters would almost definitely give her RAD.

Think you may be way offbase on this.

Took one of my kids in at 4.

It's astounding the effect and long lasting damage that can be done in those early years. Shocking really.

Think you may be way offbase on this.

Took one of my kids in at 4.

It's astounding the effect and long lasting damage that can be done in those early years. Shocking really.
I didnt say the damage wasn't done. It most definitely was. I was replying to Turd's comment of her having memories of it happening. Which is very unlikely.

@sgr1966 It's actually very unusual. Like I said, there is a chance she'd have real memories, but that chance is very small and is more likely formed by others talking about them.

Only providing 2 links but they are really interesting reads and do a good job of explaining in terms people can understand, but they both link to various studies etc if you want the more complex versions. The stances in the articles widely regarded by both psychological and scientific communities as being the norm when it comes to memories.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2014/01/26/whats-your-earliest-memory/64982.html

https://www.livescience.com/17602-earliest-childhood-memories.html

This def would be true for some of em. I care more about teachin a kid right from wrong and that actions have consequences than i do about giving them a happy, fun childhood. Some of the delinquents ive reared no doubt have very few, if any positive memories from when they were kids. That is evidence to me that i did my job as a parent.
Where's the awful kid now?

Maybe she was snatched just after running away. It’s weird that they’ve found no trace of her.

You know one of my first comments was that she was probably froze or was locked up in some pedo's basement. I'm begining to actually think it's actually the latter. I think most would agree that based on the photo in this thread she was a cute little girl. Based on her background and the weather conditions she probably would have been a lot more likely to get into just about anyone's car who stopped for her. They may have kept her for themselves or trafficked her, but I'm really thinking she was abducted at this point.

Back