• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
full

A man is under arrest after an elderly woman was attacked and raped in her Brooklyn home -- and her Life Alert may have saved her life.

Police say the 88-year-old victim allowed the attacker into her apartment.

Selwyn Worrell, 24, lives next to the victim and is charged with rape, sexually motivated assault, and burglary.

Authorities say Worrell knocked on his neighbor's door, which she opened after recognizing him.

He reportedly told her, "I just want to cut through here," which police believe was a ruse to access her home.

Once inside, police say he punched her in the face, grabbed her by the neck and dragged her to the basement. He is accused of tying her hands with an electrical cord and sexually assaulting her.

He then fled the scene but was arrested nearby.

Police say the victim's Life Alert contacted EMS and may be responsible for saving her. She suffered facial injuries and is expected to survive.

Gregory Damien-Worrell said his nephew suffers from mental health issues. He said he isn't making excuses for him and admits the allegations are troubling.

"People with mental disorders need help," he said. "I'm not saying it's right for anything to happen to anybody in any way. He's my nephew. I love my nephew. I beg, I plead. He's my nephew, and I know he needs help."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. Im past the whole "they need mental help" issues. We are as society as a whole. Once your crimes have reached such and egregious level, we should cast them to the wolves. We should not make room or allowance for people to cause such trouble events.
That's the thing, though. These people could be recognized and given help BEFORE they do something like this. Mental health has been utterly gutted over the last ~60 years in the US. "Help" currently exists only in the form of expensive prescription drugs, which do not reach the poorest of the poor. Mental illness and poverty are well acquainted. Either can make the other one even worse.

When the mentally ill are imprisoned, there's typically zero therapy available. The prison may pay for someone's meds, but only until they're released. Then they go right back out onto the streets, stop taking their medication because they can't afford it, and wind up going back to prison. Several of those meds also have some seriously nasty withdrawal effects if you cold-turkey them.

We need to build a country-wide, affordable mental health system to act as a safety net. Just warehousing these people in prison leads to more stories like this one.

That's the thing, though. These people could be recognized and given help BEFORE they do something like this. Mental health has been utterly gutted over the last ~60 years in the US. "Help" currently exists only in the form of expensive prescription drugs, which do not reach the poorest of the poor. Mental illness and poverty are well acquainted. Either can make the other one even worse.

When the mentally ill are imprisoned, there's typically zero therapy available. The prison may pay for someone's meds, but only until they're released. Then they go right back out onto the streets, stop taking their medication because they can't afford it, and wind up going back to prison. Several of those meds also have some seriously nasty withdrawal effects if you cold-turkey them.

We need to build a country-wide, affordable mental health system to act as a safety net. Just warehousing these people in prison leads to more stories like this one.
Actually the drug companies allow you to request them free at a ridiculously high level of income allowed 3 months at a time and county health programs give them to you free. Two ways I know for a fact you can get medications for free because I have done it for depression and PTSD from leaving a very abusive relationship.. it takes WANTING to take your medication, PROACTIVENESS, and NOT QUITTING at one road block or the second road block.. I agree many things need overhauled and extreme amount but if you truly value your mental health you FIND a way PERIOD

He doesn't need help. The uncle is a stupid piece of shit for saying that. He needs a cage or a needle. The time for help, if it ever posed any value(which it didnt) was long past. Mental health treatment is irrelevant now. I also dont understand why the uncle states so nonchalantly that he loves the scum. Why would you have love for someone that did something like this? Sick and twisted. They need to be investigating this uncle for potential crimes as well.

These people could be recognized and given help BEFORE they do something like this.

Incorrect and this is an incredibly stupidass thing to say. There is no mental illness in existence that causes a person to rape, especially rape 90 year old women. Simply not a thing. There is not and never was and never will be any mental health intervention that could prevent these type of sadistic, sexually motivated sociopaths from doing what they do. Outside of sterilization procudures/drug therapy, there is no pill that can "treat" someones way out of raping.

No amount or quality of resources could have prevented this stain from committing violent acts of this nature.

I find it incredibly offensive that the broader/general discussion about the need for increased mental health resources and focus is being lumped in with a story like this, with a perpetrator like this. This story has nothing to do with the struggles of the mentally ill, even the criminally mentally ill. Sickening to read this connection being made and without any basis whatsoever. Foolish, the lot of you. Pathetic.

This is an excellent point though. I whole-heartedly agree that the mentally ill criminals are vastly more dangerous than normal criminals and should face stiffer/longer sentences as a result. These people need to be kept in cages where they fucking belong.

He doesn't need help. The uncle is a stupid piece of shit for saying that. He needs a cage or a needle. The time for help, if it ever posed any value(which it didnt) was long past. Mental health treatment is irrelevant now. I also dont understand why the uncle states so nonchalantly that he loves the scum. Why would you have love for someone that did something like this? Sick and twisted. They need to be investigating this uncle for potential crimes as well.

Certainly. Suppose I didnt make it very clear that the damage in the rapist's head is already done. You could get a small marginal improvement out of him, but his mental patterns are well entrenched. That was part of my original point; early detection and treatment of psychotic behavior can salvage people's lives before they go too far. Once someone has an event like this story, the possibility of a normal life drops massively.
As for the uncle, you can love someone as family while still being horrified by what they do.

Incorrect and this is an incredibly stupidass thing to say. There is no mental illness in existence that causes a person to rape, especially rape 90 year old women. Simply not a thing. There is not and never was and never will be any mental health intervention that could prevent these type of sadistic, sexually motivated sociopaths from doing what they do. Outside of sterilization procudures/drug therapy, there is no pill that can "treat" someones way out of raping.

Of course there's no drug that prevents rapes, and no disorder that makes all sufferers into serial rapists. Psychotic disorders are bizarre and complex. Disordered thinking, impaired logic, intentionally self-destructive behavior, and unpredictable mood swings are all potential effects. The end result of those effects will be different for each patient. If you pick ten schizophrenics at random, you're probably going to find ten different behavioral patterns.

Of course there's no drug that prevents rapes, and no disorder that makes all sufferers into serial rapists. Psychotic disorders are bizarre and complex. Disordered thinking, impaired logic, intentionally self-destructive behavior, and unpredictable mood swings are all potential effects. The end result of those effects will be different for each patient. If you pick ten schizophrenics at random, you're probably going to find ten different behavioral patterns.

Schizophrenia doesnt cause someone to be sexually aroused at the thought of the elderly. Fact.

Zero room for sexual deviants, mental or not. Judas Cradle then immediate castration.
You're awesome.
Post automatically merged:

Uncle says his nephew needs mental help. Nephew is tooooo far gone for mental help. The only way to help him is to put him down like the aggressive animal he is. I mean come on, a dog can be put down for a non-fatal bite on a human so why can't people like him be put down?

Last edited:
Schizophrenia doesnt cause someone to be sexually aroused at the thought of the elderly. Fact.
You're being intentionally obtuse. I said no disorder turns its sufferers into rapists. It is the interaction of underlying systems like dis-inhibition, delusional thought patterns, hallucinatory elements, maniacal emotional states, obsessive thoughts, and malfunctioning/poorly developed social interaction skills that can come together to create the behavior in an individual. Treatment of those elements through means like medication and talk therapy can repair the dysfunctions before they have the opportunity to lead to extreme behavior that can't be undone.

Schizophrenics are not all rapists and are not even necessarily violent. But the situations that the disorder can put them in, paired with ill-chosen attempts at self-medication via substance abuse, combined with the social dysfunction that accompanies both elements, can lead toward those behaviors.

Conclusions: When a man with schizophrenia commits a serious sex offence the illness is, more commonly than not, relevant to that offence even though a direct symptom relationship may be relatively unusual.

A punk accused of raping his 88-year-old neighbor told cops he didn’t sexually assault the woman — he just tied her up and took off her clothes, according to newly unsealed court documents.

“I didn’t have sex with her,” Selwyn Worrell told officers during a rambling statement -“I never raped that lady. I just tied her up and I took her shirt off, that’s it. I just wanted her not to move.”

Worrell pleaded not guilty Monday to various charges, including rape and burglary, for the East New York home invasion. The elderly woman survived the attack, and was rescued after activating her Life Alert necklace.

The 24-year-old originally told cops he didn’t know the victim, but then admitted he’d known the octogenarian his “whole life.”

He said he “blacked out” after smoking weed, and stole a gold watch, and later remembers suddenly being in the basement and hearing her scream.

“I didn’t hit the lady,” Worrell raved. “She was screaming because when I grabbed her I had my hand around her neck, I don’t remember hitting that lady, man. I tied her with tape. I started searching through her s–t.”

He ends the tirade saying: “I’ll go upstate and kill myself.”

Back