• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A 19-year-old Ottawa County man is in jail this after police say he killed his girlfriend's baby. Cameron Toppen was charged with felony murder and first degree child abuse on Wednesday for the death of Scarlett Rae-Marie Burroughs.

The Ottawa County Sheriff's Office charged 19-year-old Cameron Toppen with Scarlett's murder. Police believe she died from shaken baby syndrome.

Toppen is Scarlett's mother's boyfriend. Police say he was watching the 8-month-old while her mother was at work.

But what may have ruined two families has potentially saved others. Scarlett's family told 13 ON YOUR SIDE she became an organ donor.

She saved three to four children's lives. Babies, that parents thought that there was no hope for," Scarlett's aunt, Melissa Yahne said. "That's why she's our hero."
https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news...-man-charged-with-infants-murder/69-616650123

View attachment 10097
View attachment 10100

Last edited:
he mother of an 8-month-old baby girl killed by abuse, allegedly at the hands of her boyfriend, is celebrating her daughter's life and urging parents to be gentle with their babies.

Scarlett Burroughs was pronounced dead on November 17 after being admitted to a hospital two days prior. Authorities ruled her death a homicide that was caused by head trauma. Scarlett's mother's boyfriend, Cameron Toppen was arraigned on November 21 for open murder and first-degree child abuse charges for the infant's death. The Ottawa County Sheriff's Office says Toppen was watching the child at the time of the incident while her mother, Rachel Burroughs was at work.

In her memory, a Facebook group called "Scarlett's Hope" was created to raise awareness about shaken baby syndrome (SBS) and provide support for other families who have lost children.

Burroughs says that Toppen denied to her that he hurt her daughter but that he admitted to authorities that he committed the abuse.

“I’m to the point where I don’t know what to believe anymore," Burroughs says. "I honestly think that he needs to get put away for a while. I feel bad for him a little bit because he just ruined his whole life over something so small as just putting her down and walking away.”

The vigil opened with a pastor reading the names of children who have been lost, followed by a prayer and a moment of silence.

Burroughs' sister Melissa Yahne offered simple advice for frustrated adults to keep infants safe.

“Put the child down, walk away, go outside, take a breath, then go back to your child. It never killed a baby," Yahne says.
https://fox17online.com/2018/12/08/...fter-daughter-killed-by-shaken-baby-syndrome/

Scarlett is still waiting for justice
The trial date for a Grand Haven man charged with killing his girlfriend’s infant daughter has been moved again.

Cameron Michael Toppen, 20, is charged with first-degree child abuse and open murder for an incident that occurred on Nov. 15, 2018.

His two-day trial, most recently scheduled to begin Aug. 14, is now set for Jan. 14, 2020. (Did not happen)

“It’s a complicated case,” defense attorney John Moritz said. “The expert witnesses need more time to review all the complicated medical information.”

Moritz said the prosecutor was agreeable to the delay.

There is no consideration of a plea at this time, the defense attorney added.

According to earlier court testimony, Toppen was watching 8-month-old Scarlett Ray-Marie Burroughs while the child’s mother was at work.

Toppen was alone with the child and became frustrated with the child’s crying and “snapped,” according to Detective Tyler Kempema of the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office.

The child became unresponsive and was taken to the hospital. She died two days later at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids.

During a preliminary hearing earlier this year, Dr. David Start, a forensic pathologist who conducted an autopsy on the child, testified that she had died of a head injury consistent with rapid shaking.

Last edited:
During a court hearing Tuesday, a 20-year-old Grand Haven man admitted to shaking his girlfriend’s baby to death in November 2018.

Cameron Michael Toppen pleaded guilty to charges of second-degree murder and first-degree child abuse during the morning hearing in an Ottawa County courtroom that was nearly empty because of COVID-19 restrictions.

In exchange for his plea, a charge of first-degree murder will be dismissed at Toppen’s sentencing on May 18. Toppen faces up to life in prison on each of the charges, although the guidelines call for a range of between 15 and 25 years as a minimum.

Toppen was wearing a protective mask over his mouth and nose during Tuesday’s hearing. He was accompanied by his attorney, John Moritz, and stood respectfully and clearly answered questions from Judge Jon Hulsing during the hearing.

Toppen answered, “yes, sir,” when the judge questioned him about the Nov. 15, 2018, events that led to 8-month-old Scarlett Burrough’s death two days later. He was watching the child while Scarlett’s mother, Rachel Burroughs, and other members of the Grand Haven Township household were at work or at school.

In response to the judge’s questions, Toppen admitted that Scarlett was healthy prior to the incident, and he became frustrated when the child continued to cry, so he picked her up and violently shook her.

Toppen said he had previously given Scarlett appropriate care and knew that he was a big enough person to be able to cause the child physical harm.

Hulsing emphasized to Toppen that he was giving up his rights to an automatic appeal with his plea and that he faced a substantial prison term. Toppen said that he understood.

Last edited:
21-year-old Cameron Toppen was sentenced to 20 to 75 years in prison on charges of second-degree murder and first-degree child abuse.

Ottawa County sheriff’s detectives say he was watching 8-month-old Scarlett Rae-Marie Burroughs in the afternoon hours of Nov. 15 when the child was injured.

Scarlett was rushed to Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital and later died.

An autopsy showed she died of cranial cerebral trauma

1712609563163.jpeg

Name: CAMERON MICHAEL TOPPEN

Current Status: Prisoner

Earliest Release Date: 11/27/2038
Maximum Discharge Date: 11/27/2093

Sentence 1

Offense: Homicide - Murder, Second Degree

Minimum Sentence: 20 years 0 months 0 days
Maximum Sentence: 75 years 0 months

Sentence 2

Offense: Child Abuse, 1st Degree

Minimum Sentence: 20 years 0 months 0 days
Maximum Sentence: 75 years 0 months

He should have to do the maximum sentence.

Hopefully if he receives the minimum, he at least has to serve his terms consecutively.

And this bothers me from a earlier article:

“I’m to the point where I don’t know what to believe anymore," Burroughs says. "I honestly think that he needs to get put away for a while. I feel bad for him a little bit because he just ruined his whole life over something so small as just putting her down and walking away.”
I'm hoping/guessing that she was in still in a state of shock when she said this, because this seems like one hell of an under-reaction to someone who murdered your baby.

Back