• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Newberry County deputies said Tuesday a 7-year-old child who was shot during a domestic dispute early Saturday morning has passed away.

Sheriff Lee Foster said the boy, Iven James Caldwell, died around 2 p.m. Monday at a hospital in Columbia.

Foster said X’Zavier Sharif Davis, 26, of Cherry Lane, Newberry, now faces an upgraded charge of murder. Davis also faces three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill. He was initially arrested and charged with four counts of assault and battery with intent to kill.

Deputies began investigating around 3:15 a.m. on Saturday when they said they were called to Newberry County Memorial Hospital Emergency Department and learned a mother and her son had been shot during a domestic dispute.

Foster said earlier in the morning, Davis had gone to the victims’ home on Cherry Lane and demanded entry. However, the doors were locked and the woman and her children were asleep.

Davis got inside and began to verbally assault the woman and her children, Foster said.

The woman gathered her children and began to drive away from the home. That’s when Foster said Davis opened fire on her car with a handgun, striking the vehicle several times.

The woman and Iven were both struck by the gunfire. She was able to drive them to the hospital.

When deputies arrived at the home on Cherry Lane, Davis was locked inside. They were eventually able to talk him in to coming outside and took Davis into custody.

Family members said the mother's other children are 10 months and 3 years old. All three children were in the car at the time of the shooting.

I would not be surprised if it turns out that he intentionally shot the boy.

It is getting redundant and sad but women need to choose better partners to sleep with, live with and expose their children to.

I doubt this man's propensity towards violence was a recent phenomenon. However, if it was I am sure there were signs of his instability that she chose to ignore.

I think schools really need to be active in telling girls and boys from a young age what is appropriate behavior towards each other not only in dating situations.

Too many children are exposed to unhealthy relationships in the home and dysfunctional behavior is normalized and the "he loves me" because he is jealous, can't live without me is defines as a man loving a woman or vice versa (damn what a run on sentence).

I want mom to survive and make better choices because that can only start with her.

Iven's death should be her wake up call to love herself and her children first.

It’s asking too much to expect that women be able to predict which guys might harm their children someday. Where are the men is this picture? Why didn’t her dad chase off the assholes? Why arent the kids’ fathers around to protect them? Problems in society can’t be fixed by only one gender. Men need to do better.

@Ripley

How he speaks about the mother of his children, if he has been arrested, how he treats his mother, I can go on -are all indicators that he should not be around your child.

Two years after a 7-year-old was shot in the head, his killer has been found guilty of murder and sentenced to decades in prison.

A Newberry County jury found 28-year-old X'Zavier Sharif Davis guilty of murder, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, and assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature in the death of young Iven Caldwell.
Judge Benjamin Culbertson sentenced Davis to 35 years in prison for murder, 20 years for assault, and five years in prison on the weapon charge. The murder and assault charges will be served concurrently. However, state law requires that the weapon charge be served consecutively, meaning that Davis will serve a total of 40 years in prison.

Back