• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A 7-year-old girl who crossed the U.S.-Mexico border with her father last week died after being taken into the custody of the U.S. Border Patrol, federal immigration authorities confirmed Thursday.

The Washington Post reports the girl died of dehydration and shock more than eight hours after she was arrested by agents near Lordsburg, New Mexico. The girl was from Guatemala and was traveling with a group of 163 people who approached agents to turn themselves in on Dec. 6.

It’s unknown what happened to the girl during the eight hours before she started having seizures and was flown to an El Paso hospital.

In a statement, Customs and Border Protection said the girl had not eaten or consumed water in several days.

The girl’s death raises questions about whether border agents knew she was ill and whether she was fed anything or given anything to drink during the eight-plus hours she was in custody.

“This tragedy represents the worst possible outcome when people, including children, are held in inhumane conditions. Lack of accountability, and a culture of cruelty within CBP have exacerbated policies that lead to migrant deaths,” Pompa said.
https://www.wfla.com/national/7-year-old-immigrant-girl-dies-after-border-patrol-arrest/1659369741

The father should be arrested and prosecuted.

An American who left their child in a hot car, endangered or failed to provide nourishment to their child would be arrested so the people coming over the border should start being arrested for endangering their children.

How hard would it have been to give her a drink at least.
To die that quick there would have been obvious distress for the child to be experiencing.

The father was aware his child had not had anything to drink or eat -did he request anything food or drink for the child?

I agree that the child should have been offered food and water and that should be a protocol when the children are detained.

Could it have been an oversight because there is so much pressure on the agents to process and not separate parent and child from one another.

They are fleeing their country cause of economic and gang violence.... by the hundreds. I am all for letting them in but everyone seems to forget that we have people already her experiencing the same thing. I think its hard for me to sympathize when you knowingly walk hundreds of miles endangering yourself and your family, expecting to be taken care of when you are met at the border.

I agree that she should have been offered food and drink when they took custody of her, BUT the dehydration started well before the 8 hours she was in custody. This falls squarely on the parent/s in this case.

They are fleeing their country cause of economic and gang violence.... by the hundreds. I am all for letting them in but everyone seems to forget that we have people already her experiencing the same thing. I think its hard for me to sympathize when you knowingly walk hundreds of miles endangering yourself and your family, expecting to be taken care of when you are met at the border.

They are the gang violence ...

I bet this little girl would still be alive if her parents had just stayed home.

Like she died ... sad ... but I don't care. I really really don't !!!

Nope i don't ... take your fucking lice ... criminals ... and tuberculous and go home.

Protest there ...

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but dad didn't mention she'd been without food and water ALREADY for three days. I'm pretty sure they would've taken action if they had known that.

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but dad didn't mention she'd been without food and water ALREADY for three days. I'm pretty sure they would've taken action if they had known that.

I'm pretty sure she would still be alive if she stayed home ... I wonder if her organs are any good still ... maybe her parents will donate them. Its not that I'm indifferent ... I just believe her parents made a big mistake by coming here at all.

The father was not fleeing violence and if he was he did not seem to be concerned about leaving his wife and other children. She was his favorite according to the grandfather.

It really hurts,' the girl's grandfather, Domingo Caal, told CNN en Español. Caal told the network of how Jakelin had jumped up and down when her father told her that they'd be heading for America. He bought his favorite daughter her first pair of shoes before the journey.

Caal said his son decided to leave Guatemala because he was tired of living in extreme poverty - as the family was surviving on just $5 a day made harvesting corn and beans.

He also translated for Jakelin's mother Claudia Maquin, who said through tears in a Mayan dialect: 'Every time they ask me what happened to the girl, it hurts me again.'

The mother said she hopes her husband is able to remain in the US to work and eventually make enough money to pay the debt they racked up by paying a human smuggler to sneak the pair into America.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-Border-Patrol-custody-demands-answers.html

In a statement released by lawyers, Jakelin's family said the girl appeared to be in good health as she traveled through Mexico, contradicting an account from US government officials who said the girl had not been given food or water for days prior to her arrest.

Border Patrol officials did not immediately respond to the family's statement, which was released Saturday during a news conference in El Paso, Texas, at an immigrant shelter where Jakelin's father is staying. Her family did not attend and has asked for privacy.

The officials have maintained that agents did everything they could to save Jakelin after the girl began deteriorating, despite reports that she had stopped breathing more than an hour before she was taken to a hospital.

An initial screening allegedly showed no evidence of health problems and Jakelin's father signed a form indicating she was in good health.

However, the family has taken issue with that form because it was in English, a language her father doesn't speak or read. He communicated with border agents in Spanish but he primarily speaks the Mayan Q'eqchi' language.

'It is unacceptable for any government agency to have persons in custody sign documents in a language that they clearly do not understand,' the statement said.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-Border-Patrol-custody-demands-answers.html

If he is too stupid to say he does not understand a form how valuable to this country can he really be.

If the girl was this close to death that she would perish after just 8 hours in the care of the American govt, she no doubt would have died had she and her father been left to roam free anyways. The girl was toast no matter what. Not sure i understand why there's any fuss at the govt over this one.

Sad stuff.

THe one takeaway is that these incidents are only going to increase as security at the border increases, folks will become even more desperate and daring in their attempts to sneak across. Something to keep in mind amidst all the maniacal ranting and raving about building walls and keeping these people out and so on and so forth.

If he is too stupid to say he does not understand a form how valuable to this country can he really be.

Not knowing how to read a foreign language = stupidity?

Outrageous.

And there are plenty of jobs where one need not know english to put a hard days work in and be productive.

If you don't speak English or Spanish, but a Mayan dialect, I think getting a job is going to be tough. Also, why did the guy bring a 7 year old child with him to the US? He has a wife and other kids that he left behind in Guatemala, clearly the wife could have cared for the girl, he did not "need" to bring her with him. And what exactly was the child supposed to do all day if he did find a job in the US? Who would watch her while he worked?

So it appears either:
1) He was too stupid to really think this plan through
2) He was so selfish he didn't care
3) He didn't really plan to work, so he would watch the girl, in which case he would not be a contributing member of society

Also, the wife said the family in Guatemala went into extreme debt in order to pay smugglers to take the pair across the border. One assumes it cost twice as much for two people as it did for one, so his family back home incurred extra debt they will suffer trying to pay so he could take his favorite kid with him. Stupid and selfish.

I'm sorry the child is dead, but I have little sympathy for the father. He caused this.

@Brillig

He brought the child for sympathy hoping that she would make his getting into the county easier.

The welfare benefits he would receive because of the little girl would allow him to send money back to his family or he would petition that they need to come to America because they will be victims of violence.

Honestly my sympathy for these people are waning. The biggest losers will be the children that have to go to school with them since money will have to be allocated for ESL and counseling.

I don't know why did he not move him and his clan to another village, town or city before becoming a burden to the American people. He will be granted citizenship, given settlement money and allowed to bring the rest of his family here (which probably will include his pappy).

Funny how you have no money but can keep fucking and making babies.

The first thing his wife will do when she is brought into America is get pregnant. So we can pay for her prenatal care, delivery and provide her baby with W.I.C. and housing benefits.

If the conditions are so "inhumane" why do they keep flooding our borders? I'm sick of PC speak when common sense says no one had care, custody or control of this child but her father. This is on Dad, and possibly the other adult members of that 163 that got detained. :banghead:
Thank you!!!

What happened to the hunger strikers ... did they cave or are they still having tantrums ???

And what about the demand for $50,000 apiece to go home ... within 72 hours ... or else ???

What happened to that initiative ????

How come we're not getting updates on any of it ... ???

I'm sure lots of us are wondering what the Or else part means ???

Why? Take a minute or two to acquaint yourself with Guatemala.
A wiki trip to the United Fruit Company is an eye opening journey as well.

Some background on the chaos South of us is worth knowing. I recently challenged myself to name every nation south of Mexico, and just one word like Brazil - Amazon. Hell, I couldn't even name them all, much less something about them. I was rather jolted by my degree of ignorance, because I could talk all day about Europe and European history, and virtually nothing about our contiguous southern continent.

Be realistic, people migrate, that's why we're everywhere. In 200 years the populations of North and South America will have been through the mixmaster, it's inevitable.

In the immediate, I'm at least willing to educate myself on the forces driving them here.

Last edited:
Back