• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CbabyRKO

Trumperdink Mussolini
34CC2C7100000578-0-image-a-1_1464702208178.jpg

A former history professor has been charged in the stabbing death of his wife in their Florida condominium.

Police say James Huhta, 78, jumped out of the second-floor window in his underwear after he fatally stabbed his 79-year-old wife, Mary Huhta, inside their Singer Island condo in Riviera Beach on Friday,WSMV reported.

Maintenance workers found the former Middle Tennessee State University history professor in the bushes and called authorities.

'Fire and Rescue responded to a call about an unresponsive man,' Rose Anne Brown, public information officer for the Riviera Beach Police Department, told The Daily News Journal. 'We found him barely conscious.'

Brown said the workers went upstairs to inform his wife about her husband when they discovered her unresponsive in the bed with a knife nearby.

The exact cause of death for Mary Huhta will be determined by a medical examiner, and James Huhta was hospitalized at St Mary's Medical Center before being released into police custody and charged with first-degree murder.

Investigators say he admitted to killing his wife of more than 50 years, but did not say what led to the murder.

'There are no records of domestic disturbances,' Brown said. 'We have no experience with them, nothing that we are aware of that would point to something like this.'

The couple was well known in the community, as Mary Huhta was a former Murfreesboro City Council member and James Huhta taught for more than 30 years at the college before retiring in 2002.

He was the driving force behind MTSU's Center for Historic Preservation.

'They were incredible listeners and always had feedback for me, whether positive or critical,' Justin Holder, a Murfreesboro resident said.

'I appreciated their candor and their life experiences they would share.

'When we lived across the street, I'd go over for a few hours almost every day and catch up with them.

'The Huhtas were like grandparents to me and meant more to me than they probably realized.'

He added that Mary Huhta was 'a true trailblazer in our community, from her work on the city council, to helping form the League of Women voters, to fighting the airport regardless of its popularity, to her time in real estate.'

Holder said that he last saw her roughly three weeks ago in Tennessee when they had lunch.

[…]

They spent part of their time each year living in the Florida condo to be near their grandchildren.
LINK

Last edited:
Damn!

There has to be so much more to this story. They were married for 50 years! Surely he didn't just snap and grow tired of her nagging..or whatever.

I have to wonder if some dementia or mental illness was involved. Stabbing her to death and then jumping out the window?!

What a sad story. :(

An adult in his skivvies
Out a second story window.
Wife stabbed to death in bed.
Both advanced age.

..say Florida how YOU been gurl?

Damn!

There has to be so much more to this story. They were married for 50 years! Surely he didn't just snap and grow tired of her nagging..or whatever.

I have to wonder if some dementia or mental illness was involved. Stabbing her to death and then jumping out the window?!

What a sad story. :(

And in his undies, to boot. Yes, I think you are right about dementia. So many people are speaking positively about the couple that anything else doesn't really fit. :(

I wonder if there were health issues involved here...besides some form of dementia/mental health issues.

Suicde pact maybe? Wife didnt have the heart to do it herself so she let her husband do the honors? Am I reaching?

That's reasonable. Old people are known to go out together. But a knife is a really tough exit strategy, since it's violent and painful. I'd figure they'd first raid their cache of old folk drugs and nod off in each other's arms. <3

I just want to mention that we've seen mugs of 40 and 50 year olds who look about as old as this couple. That fact is nearly as sad as this story.

@Satanica @cubby
Jul 5, 2017
The Singer Island man who in May 2016 allegedly killed his wife, then jumped from their second-story apartment in his underwear has died, according to Palm Beach County court documents.

James Huhta, a former college professor, died April 23 at age 79 from a gastrointestinal hemorrhage due to an ulcer, according to an autopsy report by the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner’s Office. His manner of death was ruled natural. Huhta had been in the Palm Beach County Jail for more than 10 months awaiting his first-degree murder trial.

Huhta was taken from the jail on April 19 to JFK Medical Center for internal bleeding, according to the autopsy report. Four days later, the day he was scheduled to have his ulcer repaired, his condition worsened and he died at 10:55 p.m.

Huhta told Riviera Beach police he felt “distraught” when he went into the kitchen of his Eastpointe condominium on North Ocean Drive, just south of MacArthur Beach State Park, grabbed a knife and stabbed Mary Huhta, his 79-year-old wife, in the stomach on May 27, 2016. Huhta told police his wife fought back after he stabbed her, so he held a pillow over her face.

Police said Huhta then jumped from the second-story balcony of the residence and was later found by police in his underwear. He was taken to a hospital for his injuries.

Police never released any kind of motive in the fatal attack. Huhta told police that he felt overwhelmed at the time because the two were supposed to be moving from their apartment. At the time, investigators said they knew of no history of either domestic violence or mental illness with the couple.

Back