• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A man has been charged after five of his seven children reported to authorities and health care professionals that he beat them with a board, a belt and a curtain rod and kept them locked in a urine-soaked bedroom, according to court records.

Charles M. Benjamin, 71, is accused of beating the children, ranging in age from 2 to 6, severely enough to require medical treatment and to leave scars, according to a criminal complaint filed in the case.

The children's mother Janay Fountain, 25, has also been charged with 10 counts of endangering the welfare of children, because she stood by while Benjamin allegedly abused the children.

The chief described the home as a "house of horrors."

The couple's youngest children, a set of infant twins, were spared from abuse, Millsaps said. "As tragic as this is, this is one of those cases where, I think, we prevented more serious tragedy in the future."

The investigation began on Feb. 6 when caseworkers from the York County office of Children, Youth and Families called West York police to assist in removing the seven children from the home, Millsaps said.

They were taken to the York Hospital emergency room for evaluation of their injuries, and when their mother was asked what happened to one of the children, she replied, “He was abused," according to the criminal complaint. Further asked by whom, she said, “By his father.”

Later, according to the criminal complaint, four of the children wound up at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center, where their foster mother reported that the children had told her that they had been locked in a room and beaten.

In an interview with a forensic child abuse investigator, the children also described being held underwater in the bathtub, the complaint states. One of the children reported that her father choked her. Another reported seeing his father kick a sibling in the side with his boot.

Continue reading at link

I'm just wondering why this 25yo is with a 71yo with so many young children. Now if the 6yo belongs to both of them she was likely pregnant at 18 to a 64yo. I'm not "agieist" and I realise that's still over the age of consent, but it is unusual to say the least. I'm wondering how these 2 met? Also whether she was his first victim really... not excusing her or giving her a pass, but I do feel that this mother has a history as well.

He could be suffering from Alzheimer's or some form of dementia which might explain his earlier tolerable behavior with his older kids vs. abusive behavior with current young ones. Or he could just be a total long-term asshole and his older kids are having a denial fest.

Speaking through a crack in the front door of his house Charles Benjamin, 71, said he would like his children back and for his home “to be complete.”

“My perspective is going to be issued in court,” said Benjamin, who’s accused of severely beating five of his young children and keeping them locked in a urine-soaked bedroom of a home. “All I can tell you is it’s not true.”

In an rambling interview on Thursday, Benjamin repeatedly stated that he loves his children. He denied allegations that he abused them.

Benjamin said he raised his children — he wouldn’t answer how many he has in total — to be good citizens who honor the United States and respect God. They’re great, he said, and smart.

Ninety-eight percent of his children have graduated from school. When asked if he meant high school, or high school and college, Benjamin replied, “All of that and then some."

Benjamin said he has never been in trouble with the law. He said he has never committed a crime.

Now, he said, he can’t go to the store because of media coverage about the case.

“This ain’t America,” Benjamin said. “People form an opinion right away.”

The conditions in the home, he said, were “excellent.”

The mother was released but is not allowed contact with Benjamin

This article states he has more than 13 children.

Last edited:
71 year-old Charles Benjamin appearing in court Wednesday afternoon, facing a multitude of charges including five counts each of aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children, simple assault, and recklessly endangering another person, in addition to false imprisonment charges.

“Things are not like they appeared to be. And this is just the beginning and we have not investigated a lot of contradiction and a lot of misstatements in this case, and that’s what we’ve got to do,” said Clarence Allen, Benjamin's attorney.

Benjamin was joined in the courtroom by five adult daughters there to support their father- another thing his attorney wants the public to take notice of.

“As you can see, he’s raised five beautiful daughters who are professional, successful. He’s innocent until proven guilty,” said Allen.

Benjamin is charged with child abuse of his five young children, ranging in age from two to six.

He also has a set of infant twins that appeared to be unharmed.

The prosecution brought three witnesses to the stand during Wednesday’s preliminary hearing, including an emergency case work who initially responded to the West Market Street home in early February, the forensic nurse who examined the children, and the lead officer on the case.

The testimony revealed the five older children suffered from bruises to most of their bodies, abrasions, and other injuries.

The two oldest children reportedly said their injuries came from fighting with each other, but later said their dad did it.

The children’s mother, 25 year-old Janay Fountain, told officials Benjamin hit the kids with a board, belts, and a curtain rod, and a physician who specializes in child abuse confirmed in a report that the injuries are consistent with physical abuse.

It was also revealed in the testimony that Benjamin allegedly held the five and six year-olds under water in the bathtub.

Both Fountain and the kids also reportedly told investigators Benjamin would lock them in their rooms all day long, sometimes without food or access to the bathroom, and tie the door shut with a bungee cord.

The witnesses say Fountain told them she did not intervene because she was afraid Benjamin would turn on her.

Fountain is also facing a number of charges related to the alleged abuse.

A Pennsylvania man who allegedly subjected his children to years of chronic physical abuse and terror will not get the plea deal he hoped for, according to reports.

On Monday, Common Pleas Judge Harry M. Ness asked Benjamin about the abuse after the man was set to take a plea deal on charges of aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of children.

Benjamin: “I didn’t do anything to the children.”
Ness: “You can’t sit here and make your story grow so you can get out of jail. You can’t be guilty and do nothing. It doesn’t work that way.”

Under the plea deal, Benjamin would have gotten a sentence consisting of 185 days to 23 months in prison, along with five years on probation. Since he already served time in jail, the plea deal would’ve made Benjamin eligible for parole right away.

Benjamin was taken back to jail after the judge’s ruling. Ness previously revoked the man’s $250,000 bond.

The couple lived with their seven children — ages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and twin infants — when all seven children were taken into protective custody Feb. 6, 2019, by the York County Office of Children, Youth and Families.

The five older children all suffered abuse in the home, prosecutors maintain.

Fountain, 26, pleaded guilty Monday to five counts of child endangerment, all second-degree felonies, for failing to protect her children. She was sentenced to 338 days to 23 months in York County Prison, which is a time-served sentence.

She was not accused of assaulting her children.

She also was ordered to have no contact with Benjamin or their children, and no unsupervised contact with any minors, court records state. Fountain must undergo a mental-health evaluation and comply with recommended treatment, records state.
According to senior deputy prosecutor Erin Kraska, both Benjamin and Fountain have lost their parental rights to all 7 of the children.

Last edited:
On Monday, Common Pleas Judge Harry M. Ness asked Benjamin about the abuse after the man was set to take a plea deal on charges of aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of children.
Benjamin: “I didn’t do anything to the children.”
Ness: “You can’t sit here and make your story grow so you can get out of jail. You can’t be guilty and do nothing. It doesn’t work that way.”

Under the plea deal, Benjamin would have gotten a sentence consisting of 185 days to 23 months in prison, along with five years on probation. Since he already served time in jail, the plea deal would’ve made Benjamin eligible for parole right away.

Benjamin was taken back to jail after the judge’s ruling. Ness previously revoked the man’s $250,000 bond.

I just cant help but wonder if he had told the judge he was remorseful and found jesus while going thru this. Truly feels sorry and wants a chance to be a better man if the judge would have let him go.

from this article seems to me that guy is either very stupid or is making sure to stay in jail and why not stay in jail lol he doesn't have to put up with wifey, kids, stinky bedrooms , food , shelter or having to do cooking and cleaning after himself and well are they still getting their old age pension while jail? and he doesn't have to worry too much in jail cuz you would have to be desperate to go for a piece of that nasty old ass

@runninfawn

The man is very controlling and sees nothing wrong with his actions.

While the mother holds some responsibility I can tell she is low functioning and has experienced trauma while growing up.

In the beginning he probably offered her stability and she took it. He gradually became more authoritarian overtime and she was unable to escape.

He himself also probably suffers from some mental illness that does preclude him from being held accountable for his crimes.

@runninfawn

The man is very controlling and sees nothing wrong with his actions.

While the mother holds some responsibility I can tell she is low functioning and has experienced trauma while growing up.

In the beginning he probably offered her stability and she took it. He gradually became more authoritarian overtime and she was unable to escape.

He himself also probably suffers from some mental illness that does preclude him from being held accountable for his crimes.
i do realize all that but my point really, i think, was well doesn't he realize that to get a plea deal he has to admit that he has some quilt? i might not have understood the article because it did say "he will not get the plea deal he was hoping for"...i would imagine his lawyer had explained that and that he understood what he was told...

I totally understand all the, and I mean all the...article after article after .., kill them, kill them with fire, twist, roast, gut, saw,. Obviously never to be.

But at least this time these cretans lost all rights to these children. So that’s amazing.

If we could somehow add on they must relinquish any rights to any future children, nor are they allowed to care for any child in their lifetime I’d take that over a lousy prison term. Unless it was the DP or LWOP.

Seriously, and only in cases where it’s likely children will be at risk again, (aka 98%) my guesstimate- offenders were offered no prison in exchange for losing all rights to any present or future children.

That way it wouldn’t involve reproductive rights and medical issues. Just merely, any child you produce you give up rights to and don’t be alone with others children. Now. Go forth and be free to be the asshole you were always meant to be.

May 4, 2020
A man who’s accused of beating five of his children and keeping them locked in the bedroom of a home in West York that police have called a “house of horrors” will not be released from York County Prison due to concerns about the coronavirus, a judge has ruled.
Charles Benjamin, 73, of York, had filed a motion for compassionate release, stating that his age, high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid issues and Parkinson’s disease put him at risk for COVID-19. He’s been locked up since September after he violated the conditions of his $250,000 bail.

In an order dated on April 29, Common Pleas Judge Harry M. Ness denied the request.

Last edited:
A man who beat five of his young children and perpetrated other acts of abuse and neglect in a home in West York that law enforcement described as a “house of horrors” pleaded no contest to aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of children.

Charles Benjamin, 74, of York, beat the children — who ranged in age from 2 to 6 — with objects including curtain rods and boards and kept them locked in their bedrooms as well as the basement of a house on West Market Street near Highland Avenue. The beatings left scars, bruises and welts and required medical treatment.

West York Borough Police Chief Matt Millsaps has said the children experienced “longterm abuse and terror.”

A pair of infant twins, police said, were not harmed.
Common Pleas Judge Harry M. Ness later sentenced Benjamin to serve 571 days to 23 months in York County Prison — plus 10 years’ probation. The punishment clears the way for him to be released from custody.

“Believe me, I’m on the fence about as to whether or not he needs to do more jail time,” said Ness, who noted that he considered factors including Benjamin’s medical conditions and the sentencing guidelines. “But I’m also comfortable in my belief that what I do here today shouldn’t be a death sentence.”

“Eventually, we all die,” he added. “But perhaps doing so in the York County Prison is not the best place to do it.”

Later, Ness said, there was “absolutely no excuse” for Benjamin’s conduct. He lost his parental rights and cannot have any contact with the children as a condition of the sentence.

“I agree that the nature of the abuse is your children will probably suffer for a lifetime,” Ness said. “That might be OK with you. But it sure is not OK with them, and it’s not OK with me.”
Ness ordered Benjamin to undergo a mental health evaluation. He’s also not allowed to have unsupervised contact with anyone under 18.

Benjamin did not admit guilt but acknowledged that prosecutors had enough evidence to get a conviction on nine counts. He had unsuccessfully tried to enter into plea agreements in the past, including one time during which he gave a rambling explanation and denied any wrongdoing.

The mother of the children, Janay Fountain, 27, of York, previously pleaded guilty to five counts of endangering the welfare of children for a sentence of 338 days to 23 months in York County Prison — plus five years’ probation.

Back