• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
This is seriously some nightmare fodder. Imagine having vultures overrunning your home, puking up various bits of animal carcasses everywhere, fighting each other and slamming into windows.... And you can't do a goddamned thing about it because they're a protected species. :banghead:

And then imagine your dumbass neighbor actively encouraging this fuckery by feeding the buzzards like they're giant pigeons or something. These poor people.

full

The Palm Beach Post reports the Casimano family can’t even visit the $702,000 home they purchased earlier this year in the Ibis Golf and Country Club.

Siobhan Casimano described the smell as “like a thousand rotting corpses.” The vultures have destroyed screen enclosures and have overtaken the pool and barbecue. The few times the family has visited, they’ve had to park their car in the garage to avoid the birds pecking at them with their beaks.

A neighbor, Cheryl Katz, tells the Post she’s got it even worse because she lives next door to a person who is feeding the vultures and other wildlife. In May, she said vultures tore through her pool enclosure and couldn’t figure out how to get out.

“Imagine 20 vultures trapped, biting each other — and they can bite through bones,” she said. “They would bang against my windows running away from a bird that was attacking them. Blood was everywhere. It was a vile, vicious, traumatic event. And it was Memorial Day, so no company I called would come out to help me.”

Finally, three police officers arrived. They removed the screens and shooed away the vultures.

Since she has chronic lymphocytic leukemia, which leaves her vulnerable to infections, she’s had to be extra careful going outside, even having someone power wash the patio twice.

The homeowners blame Katz’s neighbor, a woman who they claim is excessively feeding wildlife. Katz said she has seen the neighbor give bags of dog food and even a roasted chicken to the vultures.

Neighborhood association president Gordon Holness said association members have warned the woman but are limited in what they can do because the vultures are migratory birds protected by federal law. He said the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission issued a warning to the neighbor, but thus far she has ignored it. Katz said the neighbor also won’t answer her telephone or respond to email.

People have suggested scaring the vultures off with fireworks or balloons, Katz said. The newspaper quoted an expert as saying that killing a vulture, having it stuffed and hanging it in a prominent place would work because vultures avoid their own dead. But Katz said she found out from the U.S. Wildlife Service that it is hard to get a federal permit to kill the protected bird.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/florida-vacation-home-invaded-by-vomiting-vultures/

are limited in what they can do because the vultures are migratory birds protected by federal law.

You are limited in what you can do to the birds, who are not at fault, but they are not limited in what they can do to the asshole feeding them. Lock her ass up for causing a public nuisance or whatever, I'm sure there is an appropriate law on the books to handle this situation, if they'd use it.

"Neighborhood association president Gordon Holness said association members have warned the woman but are limited in what they can do because the vultures are migratory birds protected by federal law. He said the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission issued a warning to the neighbor, but thus far she has ignored it. Katz said the neighbor also won’t answer her telephone or respond to email."

The association President and Board needs to get some balls, FFS. WTF is a "warning" doing to solve the problem. First of all, get a lawyer, file a suit, exercise whatever the law allows. Fine the shit out of her for every day of this infraction until her debt is so large they start foreclosure. That should wake up the well-meaning but fucking stupid bitch.

I have questions.
. The Palm Beach Post reports the Casimano family can’t even visit the $702,000 home they purchased earlier this year in the Ibis Golf and Country Club.
Were the birds there last year, if they were and the seller cleaned up everything and sold the home while the birds were at their winter location and didn't disclose this problem then I think they have legal recourse.

The association President and Board needs to get some balls, FFS. WTF is a "warning" doing to solve the problem. First of all, get a lawyer, file a suit, exercise whatever the law allows. Fine the shit out of her for every day of this infraction until her debt is so large they start foreclosure. That should wake up the well-meaning but fucking stupid bitch.

They have done everything you suggested and she still hasnt stopped. Biggest problem seems to lie within the laws surrounding the vultures. They cannot even attempt to catch them or to scare them off. It's forbidden to "take" a black vulture in Florida and its forbidden to scare them off unless livestock is being threatened.

the association has cited the resident, fined her and even delivered a legal cease-and-desist letter.
https://www.wpbf.com/article/vultures-damaging-homes-in-west-palm-beach-neighborhood/28713791

Cattle egrets are protected here, too. so entire neighborhoods are held hostage yaer after year during their mating season. Of course, Walmart tore out a small row of trees they were nesting in in my town when they built their grocery store. Either nothing was done or Walmart paid the fine or whatever and carried on.

Back