• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Insurers have been making medications for treating opioid addiction more expensive and harder to access, even as more and more Americans suffer and die, a new study suggests.

Story:

It’s absurd how much easier it is to get perks from a doctor or from the streets than it is to find suboxone.

Doctors are also prescribing amounts of suboxone that are BEYOND absurd. Most patients do have extra to sell and keep requesting more to sell more, and because they want a slight high.

Withdrawing from subs is significantly worse than withdrawing from opiates and takes a longer period of time, so a lot of patients will take “some” opiates during suboxone withdrawal so they can function. My long term friend was weaning off of subs, so he was saying he needed to do “just a little” so he could be functional at his job and not get fired. I can’t remember how much he was prescribed but I remember it being absolutely absurd, especially considering a tiny slice should take the edge the worst symptoms even for regular users. It was hard to see him struggling this hard without helping him, so I bounced out of there really quickly to avoid getting involved.

Joe told me this on Sunday, April 24 2016, and was found dead in a chair in his bedroom on Wednesday, April 27 2016. I still have his last texts. I’m so fucking glad I chose to leave instead of helping him die that week.

An addict can’t just do enough to take the edge off, they will take what they have. And because of that Joe is dead, along with many others. I always wonder if he could have made it through if he wasn’t rapidly ripped off such a high suboxone dose.

I’m not sure what my point is besides the system is all sorts of fucked up. There are no good solutions.

My gf is an editor for a medical journal at Johns Hopkins University. We often talk about many of the studies she is working on at the time, so I would consider myself a bit more informed then the average knucklehead. When it comes to drug addicts, I share a bit of Jack's contempt for those sorry sacks of shit, but I do understand there is data that says we could help a few of those fucktards that actually don't want to be junkies with proper incentives and oversight. Here's the sum up from an article from some Johns Hopkins research about insurance companies and prevention of pain medicine addiction. The full article is at the link.
"Insurers can either be part of the problem, or part of the solution," Alexander says. "The good news is that an increasing number of health plans are recognizing their contribution to the epidemic and developing new policies to address it. The bad news is that we have a very long way to go."

Back