• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The Madison County prosecutor has filed charges in the death of a 4-month-old who died from a heroin overdose last February.

The baby's parents, Tiffany McNutt, 29, and 28-year-old Daniel Jones, are charged with felony neglect of a dependent.

Investigators don't know how Leelan Jones got heroin in his system. What they do know is the infant was living in a "filthy" Alexandria house in conditions so bad, haz-mat crews were called.

"The house these children were in was a disaster. It was condemned. It wasn't habitable for humans," said Madison County Prosecutor Rodney Cummings. Leelan's 2-year-old brother was also living in the home when the infant died.

Police were called to the home when his mother reported waking to find Leelan not breathing, face down between couch cushions.

An autopsy showed the baby died from a heroin overdose. "A 4 month old can't even crawl around and pick that up inadvertently," said Cummings.

Multiple tests of McNutt and Leelan's father, Daniel Jones, showed no drugs in their systems. Police tested others who also lived in the house but found nothing there.

"I don't think it's possible this could have happened unless he was given orally. There were no injections on the child's body," Cummings said.
https://www.wthr.com/article/madison-county-parents-charged-after-4-month-old-dies-heroin-overdose
1547449439595.png

Last edited:
1641964648308.png

First Name TIFFANY
Middle NameL
Last NameMCNUTT

Earliest Possible Release Date * 03/15/2029

Date of Sentence10/25/2021
DescriptionNEGLECT OF DEPENDENT RESULTING IN DEATH
Term in Years / Months / Days
10​
00​
00000​

Projected Release Date 03/15/2029

Date of Sentence10/25/2021
DescriptionNEGLECT OF A DEPENDENT
Term in Years / Months / Days
00​
06​
00001​

Projected Release Date 12/14/2021
The couple was arrested in January 2019 after an autopsy determined the baby had heroin in his system at the time of his death in February 2018.

A 2-year-old boy was also in the home at the time of Leelan’s death. Because of the poor condition of the residence, the Indiana Department of Child Services did not return the child to the home.

Officers were called to the neighborhood Feb. 27, 2018, and from the porch detected a strong odor of feces and urine. When they arrived, McNutt and a neighbor were performing CPR on Leelan.

McNutt told officers she forgot to feed her son and found him face down in a crevice between the cushions of a couch. When she realized the baby was not breathing, McNutt told police, she ran next door to call 911.

In a probable cause affidavit, Dr. Thomas Sozio said heroin was found in the boy’s system.
“The amount found in his system would have been quickly fatal for a baby that size,” Sozio told investigators with the Madison County Sheriff’s Department.

“It is the doctor’s medical opinion that the decedent’s positive toxicology screen cannot be due to contaminated breast milk or formula or other method of oral administration,’” the affidavit states.

Both Jones and McNutt told police they didn’t use drugs. Blood and hair samples from the couple came back negative for opiates. Tests on Brooke Street and Cody Smyser, who lived in the same house, were positive for cocaine but not heroin, according to the affidavit.

1641964674347.png

No update on him yet

@Sugar Cookie .. how do you think they got murder charges when no one in the house showed up positive for opiates .. abuse etc .. that I can understand .. there may have been a visitor or dude was selling .. but ONLY the boy shows and no one else .. nothing was found in the house ..

@Sugar Cookie .. how do you think they got murder charges when no one in the house showed up positive for opiates .. abuse etc .. that I can understand .. there may have been a visitor or dude was selling .. but ONLY the boy shows and no one else .. nothing was found in the house ..
Wonder if it was due to the condition of the home. Neglect cause she forgot to feed him and then found him in the crevice of the couch. Maybe it was a 2nd hand couch... sad sick world.

Where do you see murder charges? She was charged and convicted of Level 1 Felony neglect resulting in death and Level 6 Felony endangerment of a dependent. Says dad charged with same. Guessing a plea deal was offered. She should have taken it. I bet he will.

An Alexandria man was sentenced to 2 1/2 years on probation on a charge of neglect of a dependent.
Daniel E. Jones, 32, pleaded guilty in connection with the death of his four-month-old son.

Last December, Judge Mark Dudley rejected a plea agreement on charges of neglect of a dependent resulting in death and neglect of a dependent.

After Dudley rejected the initial plea agreement, the Madison County Prosecutor's office dismissed the more serious felony charge of neglect of a dependent resulting in death.
According to the state, Jones was working at the time the boy died.
A co-defendant, Tiffany McNutt, the mother of the boy, was found guilty on the neglect of a dependent resulting in death charge and sentenced by Dudley to a 20-year prison sentence with 10 years to be served.

"I strongly disagreed with the first plea agreement," Dudley said. "I don't think the state should have dismissed (the charge). I have limited power."

Dudley said there was no logical reason to treat Jones differently than McNutt.
Deputy prosecutor Cathy Wilson said police were called to the Alexandria house for an infant death investigation and obtained a search warrant.

She said investigators detected a strong odor of urine and feces, the house was strewn with trash and there were four dogs and several cats in the house.

Wilson said the Madison County HAZMAT team found a strong presence of ammonia in the residence.
Jones, who has since become the father of another boy, said he would like his two children to be able to see each other.

His daughter with McNutt is residing in Tennessee.

"I have to use better judgment," Jones said. "Check the condition of the house before bringing children inside."
He asked to be placed on home detention to be able to care for his son.
Wilson said Jones has been released from the jail on bond for three years and there have been no additional problems.

She said a community-based sentence would be appropriate.

Back