• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A mother has been arrested and charged with neglect in connection with the death of her infant daughter.

According to the Delaware County Coroner, 3-month-old Shae Anna Marie Styhl died Saturday. Her cause of death is still pending investigation.

Muncie Police Department officers were called to the YWCA for a report of an unresponsive infant. Police say Sarah Ann Styhl, 32, and her baby had been staying at the shelter for the past four days.

Investigators say the infant had "what appeared to be burns covering most parts of her body," according to the police report. And the baby was rushed to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

"Upon further visual inspection of the child, there were different degrees of skin peeling usually associated with burn injuries," the report stated. The infant also had a large injury to her genitals that appeared to be a burn or blood blister and she appeared malnourished.

According to the police report, the doctors found multiple bone fractures in various stages of healing and numerous burns on the infant's body. An examination found "extensive skeletal trauma" and "bone fractures" and other injuries to all four of the baby's extremities.

During an interview with investigators, Styhl said she had used several different "ointments and lotions" to try to treat what she thought was irritated skin around her daughter's mouth and face.

Styhl also told investigators that her daughter had fallen out of her stroller "a few weeks prior" and that she had put an Icy Hot pad on the baby's arm and wrapped it with a bandage for treatment.

When asked about the more serious injuries to her daughter's body, Styhl became argumentative and asked for an attorney, according to the report.

Detectives searched Styhl's room and found bottles of "burn spray," diaper rash ointments and Icy Hot patches. They also found stains that appeared to be blood on the bed sheets, several pieces of the infant's clothing, burp rags and other items.

Last edited:
A central Indiana woman has been sentenced to 40 years in prison after pleading guilty in the death of her infant daughter, who had untreated broken bones and burns.

Sarah Ann Styhl of Muncie told a Delaware County judge during Monday’s hearing that she wished she “could have been more prepared” to provide care for her 3-month-old daughter.

Styhl, 33, pleaded guilty on July 6 to to neglect of a dependent resulting in death in connection with the June 2019 death of Shae Anna Marie Styhl, the Star Press reported.

The child’s death came four days after she and Styhl had moved into the Muncie YWCA.

An autopsy report found that the infant had suffered multiple broken bones, which were in various stages of healing, as well as “burns and scalding injuries throughout the body.”

Delaware County Prosecutor Eric Hoffman and the judge who sentenced Styhl both noted that she had failed to seek medical attention for her baby’s broken bones and burns.

Under the terms of her plea agreement, Styhl waived her right to appeal her conviction.

Last edited:
Sarah Styhl, who also has a son a couple years older than Shea, had previously been convicted in 2008 of battery in Allen County for harming her older son when he was about 7 months old. In that case, a probation violation landed Sarah in prison for 15 months.

In 2017, she was convicted of domestic battery after attacking her mother.

According to the Star Press, Sarah, along with her then-two-year-old son, had lived in her mother’s house in Bluffton. On May 4, 2017, Sarah’s mother, Tammy, awoke to hear her daughter screaming at the two-year-old, “telling him the baby is going to die.”

In Tammy’s statement, she wrote, “I told her you don’t talk to a baby like that. She started telling me I was going to die.” At the time, Tammy said, Sarah was a patient at a local mental health facility, and Sarah told her she “needed to go to the hospital now and be checked out.”

Tammy wrote that she assumed her daughter had “too much coffee” that morning and took Sarah’s cup away from her. “That’s when she hit me from behind in the neck, knocking me to the ground.”

A Bluffton Police officer wrote, “Sarah then hit Tammy again on the side of the head and told her she was going to kill her.”

When police initially arrived during that incident, Sarah tried to convince them her mother had fallen, causing her injuries. That excuse didn’t fly. When Sarah was taken to jail that day, her son was placed in Tammy’s care pending investigation by the Department of Child Services.

Three weeks after the incident, Sarah pleaded guilty as charged to a single count of domestic battery, which was a level 6 felony that could have earned her up to 30 months in prison. Wells Superior Court Judge Andrew Antrim instead sentenced Sarah to time already served in the county jail, placing Sarah on probation.

It’s not clear who currently has custody of Sarah’s sons, who would be about five and twelve years old now. Neither was with her while she stayed at the Muncie YWCA. Prior to her stay, Sarah and Shea, who was born in late February of 2019, had stayed at a homeless shelter in Portland.

At the court hearing on Monday, July 27, Sarah Ann Styhl told Judge Wolf she wished she “could have been more prepared” to care properly for her infant daughter.

The terms of Sarah’s plea agreement dictate that she waived her right to appeal her conviction.

After Sarah’s sentencing, her mother, Tammy, made several comments on articles posted about it on Facebook. Tammy said that CPS had failed her granddaughter by neglecting to enforce well baby checks and that there was an open case with CPS at the time of Shea’s death. “Shame on CPS Jay county shelter YWCA they could have saved her they didn’t they didn’t listen to me,” she wrote, demanding “answers from child protective services why they failed to do well baby check on behalf of my grandchild,” adding, “they should be ashamed of themselves.”

In another comment, Tammy said that Sarah, who she said was severely disabled, had no business taking care of a child, and that because of CPS’s failure to act, Tammy was suffering the loss of two children, not just one.
1596460147126.png

Last edited:
She likes to inject in the jugular vein.. notice the neck covering.. this is tremendously dangerous.. the neck is arguably the most dangerous injection site, as arteries, veins, tendons and nerves are incredibly close together. Although the neck has the same risks of other locations, such as abscesses and collapsed veins, an abscess in the neck puts serious pressure on nerves and can block your air passage. Nerve damage to the neck can also result in vocal chord paralysis. In addition, if you hit an artery in your neck, the injecting chemicals will shoot directly into the brain, potentially causing a range of neurological problems or a stroke...

It's possible she was disabled and / or mentally unwell prior to becoming an addict, but she does definitely have that tweaker look.

I wonder what preparation she felt the state or her community, or possibly her family, could have provided that would've prevented her from injuring or killing her baby - especially when she has a history of being aggressive towards her own family members.

It would be nice to know where her other sons are. I'm assuming they're in state care, since they're apparently not with their grandmother or other relatives. That's the most logical case but of course, reading these stories, my brain always defaults to "they're buried somewhere"...

I’m sorry but I don’t find such redundant comments like, “who’d fuck her, what knocked up that crazy, must have used a bag,” even slightly amusing, original, or adding to the thread in any manner.

We all know at a certain point people will fuck anything. And whatever those people have become, it is not where they started. And so while they may no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt-their child does.

And furthermore I agree with wack job grandma. Yeah she sucked, but that’s not where mom was living with that baby. Too much coffee??? Ok dumb but at least she admitted something was wrong. Maybe trying to get help with out getting her in trouble.

So do shelters just admit parents with out checking on the welfare of the child they’re coming in with? A very closed in space-no one heard the baby in pain? No one ever checks on homeless mom with infant baby to make sure she has formula, diapers, safe bedding? WTF?!!?

Another clear example of why there should be a screening process to have children, and those who don’t qualify should be sterilized. This isn’t rocket science; this is what our reality has become. If an individual does not understand the significance of being a parent, then they haven’t earned the privilege! And being disabled isn’t a dealbreaker - being a decent, caring person is.
Sterilize her.

Latest posts

Back