• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
3-year-old A’lona “Halo” Williams was always laughing, always willing to play or watch her grandmother, Mikisha Vaughn, cook.

But early last year, Vaughn noticed something was wrong: she saw signs that her granddaughter was being abused.

“It just got worse and worse,” Vaughn said.

In January 2018, Vaughn said, Halo showed up at her house wearing a splint. Vaughn said Halo’s mother told her it was from a trampoline accident. But Vaughn didn’t buy it. “The bruise was too bad, and her arm was swollen all the way up,” Vaughn said.

And, she said, those were just the beginning of Halo’s injuries: “Her eye, her back, her leg, a lot of random places.”

Vaughn said she started calling Child Protective Services, but she kept getting an answering machine. She said she left messages: “Emergency. 911. You told me to call. I’m calling. Respond.” But the agency didn’t act fast enough, according to Vaughn

Halo died in June 2018—with Vaughn holding her close as she said goodbye.

In March, Vaughn said Halo was covered in scratches, bruises and what appeared to be belt marks. Vaughn said her daughter told her that a live-in boyfriend had given the girl "whoppings."

Then in June, Vaughn got a phone call from her daughter that she will never forget: Halo was in the emergency room. Vaughn raced to the hospital. She said her daughter wasn’t there. “They were trying to save her.

Halo was fighting. But Vaughn ultimately made the decision to take Halo off life support. She stayed by her granddaughter’s side until she drew her last breath.

“Then the nurses told me that was it and told me to hold her. I was able to hold her. I told her I'm sorry because I tried. I didn't know what else to do but I tried,” Vaughn said.

Medical examiners ruled Halo’s death a homicide, according to the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.

The medical examiner’s report found evidence of extreme sexual trauma.

The doctor also reported there was severe damage to Halo's intestines. Her stomach was full of blood. Halo’s mother claimed it was from a car accident, but doctors said the injuries appeared to be from something far worse.

“I just didn't believe it. I just didn't believe it. She's just 3,” Vaughn said.

Vaughn said the call from CPS never came.

CPS got involved in January 2018 when Halo went to the hospital with a broken arm, according to court documents obtained by KHOU 11 Investigates.

Three months later, Halo's mother and CPS agreed to have Halo and her two brothers placed with her boyfriend's parents, according to documents. They both have criminal records, including burglary and assault charges. That goes against one of CPS’ policies. They also allowed Halo's mom—Vaughn’s daughter—to see the kids unsupervised after she was told not to.

The Houston Police Department has confirmed the case has been assigned to its homicide division.

CPS currently has custody of Halo’s brothers, but they have been living with Vaughn since March. She wants permanent custody.

“They deserve to be here, where they can be protected and loved,” Vaughn said.

Last edited:
Is it possible the grandmother was afraid she would not be allowed to see the grandchild?

The bio-mother agreed to let her children be placed with the boyfriend's family - not her own mother so there was some conflict between the bio and the GM.

Just throwing this out there is it possible GM was not the best mother to the bio and although she might have turned her life around the daughter was resentful and did not have the tools to parent her own children.

I think it is going to be hard to get justice for A'lona on less someone turns-

was it the mother her boyfriend or one of his parents it might never be known.

"It wasn’t just Vaughn raising a red flag about Halo. According to legal documents, an expert on abuse at Texas Children's Hospital said she called CPS three times to tell them she felt Halo was being abused. Records show CPS was actively investigating. But Vaughn said it was too late for Halo."

So grandma wasn't alone in this. I smell a lawsuit
Post automatically merged:

Who is the mom and pos boyfriend? Where are their pictures..I'm so pissed off over this. I would like to beat the shit out of both of them. Disgusting

Last edited:
"It wasn’t just Vaughn raising a red flag about Halo. According to legal documents, an expert on abuse at Texas Children's Hospital said she called CPS three times to tell them she felt Halo was being abused. Records show CPS was actively investigating. But Vaughn said it was too late for Halo."

Who is the mom and pos boyfriend? Where are their pictures..I'm so pissed off over this. I would like to beat the shit out of both of them. Disgusting

I was thinking

I was thinking the very same thing, plus she might not have been able to get Halo's brothers.

View attachment 19654View attachment 19655
CPS should be called if you suspect something may be up. 911 should be called when you know it. People do not realized how under funded and over worked this department it. That answering machine gets hundreds of calls. Do you notice the trend? Elementary schools underfunded, teachers under pai, daycare workers under paid, CPS underfunded, over worked, etc. Our society says we love the kids, they are our future, we need to help them. But our society fails the present for several children, and seal their future to be grim. We don't fail them all, but we fail the ones that need societies help. We have to make a change, if we want to see a change.

Grandma could have called 911 or taken the girl to the hospital. She noticed the splint in January, signs of a nasty beating in March. Didn't she try calling other numbers until she found a human? Like the humans at 911? Grandma just kept calling CPS until the girl died in June.
I wondered about that too. I'd have been calling 911 until something was done!

Good luck with that. Look up the case DeShaney v. Winnebago County, and be prepared to get angry. CPS is very good at protecting one thing, and that thing is CPS.

Back