• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!

Police found 2-year-old Tanaja Barnes unresponsive, filthy and with a body temperature too low to measure, according to court records.

Emergency workers responded reports of the unresponsive child. When they arrived, they found two-year-old Tanaja Barnes wrapped in a soiled blanket and smelling of urine. They reported her hands, feet, face and head were extremely dirty, and they said her core temperature would not register on medical equipment.

Workers took Barnes to St. Mary’s Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Preliminary findings from an autopsy showed physical neglect, malnourishment, dehydration and cold exposure. Barnes weighed 21 pounds.

Officers at the scene documented “the overwhelming smell of urine, feces and rotten food/garbage,” according to court documents. They recorded an interior temperature of 45 degrees, but said the thermostat was on and set to auto at 75 degrees. While police were there, temperatures rose to 58 degrees, they said.

Barne’s mother, Twanka Davis, 21, lived at the home together with her boyfriend and their infant son, police said. Davis told police she last saw her daughter around 7 p.m. the night before. She said she brought the child a dinner of red beans and rice, but the child refused to eat.

Davis told police the home’s furnace was new and worked, but she said she does not always run the heat and had it off the previous night. Davis said the child had a heater in her room but removed it from the child’s room because the heater in her room was broken.

In the child’s room, they found only a toddler bed with no sheets or blankets, empty bottles, debris apparently chewed by rodents and feces.

Davis came to police headquarters Wednesday and told authorities she routinely turns off the heat at the home at night and had turned it off Saturday and Sunday. She also told police she gives the child food but doesn’t control if she eats it.

“Twanka accepted no responsibility for the death of her child,” police wrote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Puzzling. Water shut off from the inside? Toilet filled to the brim? Random box of liquid and debris in the bathroom?

So they live in a two-story home that was either horrid when they moved in or has been made horrid by their tenancy... do they have a landlord? Anyone who comes by the house to check on them - social workers, lawyers for their court cases, family, friends, coworkers? Or are they completely isolated from the community?

I want to say "depressed mom" but I think there might be drugs or disability involved. I can't fathom why someone would choose to live like this (by turning off the water / the heat). Especially with a 2yo and an infant in the home!

Last edited:
City of Decatur asked a county judge to order the two to appear in court and described "willful and contumacious refusal to comply with the Administrative Judgement."

I know lots of words but "contumacious" is a new one:

con·tu·ma·cious
/ˌkänt(y)o͝oˈmāSHəs/
adjective
ARCHAIC•LAW

1. (especially of a defendant's behavior) stubbornly or willfully disobedient to authority.
    "his refusal to make child support payments was contumacious"

@Burke

She is a piece of shit she admitted taking the heater out of the child's room because the heater in her room broken- I am sure her pussy stretcher and it's spawn was in the room with the heater.

Twatna told the cops it is on the 2yo to make sure it eats and probably change it's own diapers.

"Davis said the child had a heater in her room but removed it from the child’s room because the heater in her room was broken."

What a lovely example of her caring and nurturing way.
Bottom line: It was mind over matter. She didn't mind cuz the child didn't matter. Bitch.

All these kids with no blankets on their beds wreck me ... sleeping is important man, kids grow at night. Yes they do ... they morph. Its why sometimes in the morning you look at your kids face like you've never seen them before.

Anthony Myers, 25, the boyfriend of a woman who police say murdered her 2-year-old daughter through neglect, was arrested Friday morning on similar charges.

Davis and Myers have another child, a 1-year-old boy, who was allowed to sleep with them in their room. They had taken the space heater from Ta'Naja's room after their heater broke, according to a sworn police affidavit.

He faces preliminary charges of murder, one felony count of endangering the life/health of a child and one misdemeanor count of endangering the life/health of a child, Cleary said. Preliminary charges are subject to review by the Macon County State's Attorney's Office.

Neither one of them looking they have a loving bone in their body.

I guess the male dummy did not realize how she treated another man's child would be his downfall.

What real man would want to lay with and impregnate a bitch that treats her baby like a burden- what she does to that child she will do to yours when you are no longer together.

The Department of Child and Family Services released a statement today in regards to the death of Ta'naja Barnes. The two-year-old was found dead earlier this month with what officials say were signs of neglect.

Her mother, 21 year old Twanka Davis, is charged with murder, involuntary manslaughter and endangering the life of a child. Davis' boyfriend, Anthony Myers, is facing similar charges.

Today DCFS said the department is devastated by the loss and will be reviewing their practices to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

Ta'naja's father, Dartavius Barnes, said even though DCFS says they're going to increase caseworker staff and improve communication and case closure practices, it still doesn't vie him peace because he'll never get his daughter back.

“It’ll never be good enough for me," said Barnes. "I lost my child and when I asked them for help...my child would’ve still been here if they would’ve helped me, If they would’ve done their job. I understand they want to do better now but it’s too late for that.”

Full statement at link

Twan'ka Davis, the mother accused of murdering her 2-year-old daughter Ta'Naja Barnes, pleaded guilty.

When Davis appeared in court she was visibly pregnant.

As part of a plea agreement, Davis was sentenced to 20 years in prison to be followed by a 3-year period of mandatory supervised release.

Davis must also register under the Violent Offender Against Youth Act.

According to Macon County State's Attorney Jay Scott, Twan'ka pleaded guilty because she "wanted to get it over with."

Ta'Naja was found unresponsive inside her Decatur home on February 11, 2019.

Police say the toddler was extremely dirty and wrapped in a soiled blanket with a strong smell of urine.

Medical staff said her core temperature was so low it wouldn't register on their device.

Officers on the scene reported an overwhelming smell of urine, feces, and rotten food and garbage inside the home.

Ta'Naja was rushed to the hospital, where she later died.

An autopsy found Ta'Naja was malnourished, dehydrated, cold and neglected.

Twan'ka's live-in boyfriend, Anthony Meyers, is also facing charges in connection with Ta'Naja's death.

He pleaded not guilty to charges of homicide and endangering the life and health of a child.

His trial is set for December 16th, 2019.

The father of a 2-year-old found dead in Decatur is suing Webster-Cantrell Hall and a supervisor.

Webster-Cantrell Hall is a nonprofit that helps children, families and adults in Macon County.

The federal lawsuit from Dartavius Barnes names the facility and Amanda Beasley-Ricks, who works for WCH, and wants them to be held liable. It claims both parties were “deliberately indifferent” in their actions leading up to authorities finding Barnes unresponsive in a Decatur home on Feb. 11, 2019.

DCFS had removed Barnes from the home of Davis and placed her in foster care starting in December of 2017 after receiving a hotline call about Barnes facing abuse and neglect. She and her brother were placed in foster care, while Davis and Meyers completed mental health assessments, parenting classes and substance abuse screenings. For part of 2018, Barnes was with her father and later was removed after another DCFS hotline call alleged abuse.

The lawsuit says Webster-Cantrell Hall and Beasley-Ricks are liable in Barnes’ death because they knew about Davis’ history of mental illness and abuse of drugs and alcohol, yet returned her to Davis’ home in August of 2018. It claims they also didn’t make sure Barnes had access to food, water and healthy living conditions. WCH made weekly unannounced visits after Barnes was placed back into their home.
Dartavius Barnes says in the lawsuit he is seeking compensatory damages to be determined a trial, an award of reasonable attorneys’ costs and litigation expenses and “such other relief” that the court might “deem just or equitable”.

Bio-dad does not deserve either.
1574665403272.png

Pretty sure I have seen the father losing it in court over the death of his daughter. He had tried to save her and his concerns were dismissed.
Eh-Dad was given custody at one point and had her removed after reports of abuse, so not sure he’s the most reliable source of information. Granted it was a massive fail that she was placed back with her mother, but her father had it in his power to save her and blew it.

A jury has found Anthony Myers guilty in the death of 2-year-old Ta'Naja Barnes.

The jury ruled that Myers is guilty of first-degree murder.

This trial was more than a year in the making after the child’s mother, Twan'ka Davis, pleaded guilty.

Myers rejected a plea deal for 20 years in prison earlier this week, instead choosing to go to trial.

Now, he faces a minimum of 20 years behind bars.

Myers was living with Davis when the toddler died in February 2019.

Decatur Police arrested Anthony Myers four days after Ta’Naja’s death.

Police found Ta'Naja unresponsive and wrapped in a urine-soaked blanket inside her Decatur home.

During the closing statements on Thursday, July 16, the state argued Myers did not help Davis when he knew she could not take care of her daughter.

The defense argued Myers had no way of knowing Ta’Naja’s condition was so severe because he was caring for his own healthy child.

Defense Attorney Scott Rueter said Myers wasn’t the best father, but he was doing the best he could in these circumstances.

”There’s no credible evidence that he murdered Ta’Naja," Rueter told the jury. "He had no knowledge of this.”

The jury disagreed, returning with a verdict in just three hours. All 12 jurors agreed Myers was partially responsible for the child’s death.
Twan'ka Davis was sentenced to 20 years in prison to be followed by a 3-year period of mandatory supervised release.
1595245919826.png

Last edited:
If he was stupid to see the child suffering he deserves to be in prison.

If he looked the other way because it was not his child he is a monster and deserves to be in prison.

Mom only getting twenty years is further abuse to this little girl who never had a chance at a life of love and happiness.

The man found guilty of murdering a Decatur 2-year-old was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

A jury found Anthony Myers guilty of first-degree murder in the death of Ta'Naja Barnes back in July.

The prosecution had asked for a sentence of 75 years in prison to be imposed on Anthony Myers after he was convicted of murder. The defense insisted that was too much when the child's mother was sentenced to 20 years for her part in the murder. The defense said Myers sentence should be the same.

The judge pointed out Myers did not have a long criminal history, only a misdemeanor for criminal trespass.

However, the judge said Myers did not accept responsibility for his part in Ta'Naja Barnes' death.

The 30 year sentence will have to be served at 100 percent.

Myers' attorney made a motion for a new trial citing records they said were not properly introduced in court, but the motion was denied by the judge.

Authorities discovered the body of Ta'Naja on the morning of Feb. 11, 2019. Police said the child was dirty, unresponsive and wrapped in a urine-soaked blanket. Her body temperature was too cold for first responders at the scene to measure.

Police said sinks and toilets in the home, which was occupied by Ta'naja's mother, Twanka Davis, and Anthony Myers, her live-in boyfriend, were filled to the brim with waste water. Authorities had documented "the overwhelming smell of urine, feces and rotten food/garbage" in the home, along with signs of rodent and insect infestations. The interior temperature in the home was 45 degrees.

Davis pleaded guilty to charges of first-degree murder in Sept. 2019 and was sentenced to 20 years in prison as part of a plea deal. Myers, who is not the biological father of Ta'Naja, faced trial in July 2020 on charges of first-degree murder and child endangerment causing death.

In court Wednesday, a victim impact statement in the form of a letter from Dartavius Barnes, Ta'Naja's biological father was read. In it, he talked about how he will never get to walk her to her first day of school, teach her how to ride a bike or tie her shoes. All of that, he said, was taken from him.

He said he had asked Myers and his ex to let him have Ta'Naja and questioned why they did not just give her to him.

"There's an emptiness in my heart. It will never go away. I will never see that beautiful smile again or hear her calling me dada," Barnes wrote in the letter.

He wrote about being hurt that his other daughter will not be able to grow up with Ta'Naja.

"I tried so hard to be a father, but Anthony wouldn't let me... The anger he had for me, he took that out on her, and that breaks my heart over and over again. She was just a baby. She didn't deserve that kind of life. She was so sweet and lovable. Because of their actions, my baby girl suffered, and she lost her life."

Anthony Myers made a statement before his sentence was announced saying in part, "We can all agree this is a tragic situation," Myers said. "Ta'Naja really did love me... if I was a monster to her, she wouldn't love me." He said he was doing his best to help out and care for her. "I'm still going to have to live with this situation for the rest of my life."

He added, "I really do wish that you would give me mercy... I'm not a violent person."

The prosecution went into graphic detail about Ta'Naja's condition when she was found. The child lost 18 percent of her body weight in the two months that she had been returned to her mother's home with Myers. Her body temperature was so low when she was found it could not register on a thermometer. She was left alone in her room "to freeze to death," the prosecutor said.

They also pointed out that Myers' son was well cared for and even overweight. They said he manipulated DCFS to regain custody of his own son and "get back" at Dartavius Barnes, because they did not like one another.

Last edited:
Back