• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A toddler found dead early Monday outside her New Hampshire home in bitterly cold weather apparently left her house just before dawn but couldn't get back inside.

Newport Police said the death of the 2 ½-year-old, whom the family only identified as Sofia Van Schoick, is not suspicious and 'appears to be a bad accident'.

The girl's grandfather, Lindsay Van Schoick, said through text message that a neighbor had found the girl.

He said the family is still trying to understand what happened.

'It's rough,' he said. 'It was a terrible accident, a terrible accident. She (his daughter) is doing horrible. She is doing terrible. She just lost one of her children.'

Van Schoick, who was at the Newport home but wouldn't answer the door, said the family had just moved into the apartment and his granddaughter may not have known her way around.

He also said the front door leading outside was easy to open and the family had not had time to put bolt locks on the entrance.

'I don't think she made it up the stairs. They found her at the bottom of the stairs,' he said. 'There are things we will never know. We'll never know what happened.'

Their neighbor, Shane Rowe and his girlfriend heard cries around 4am Monday but didn't see anything.

They went back to bed and later found the girl at the bottom of the stairs leading to the child's apartment.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-outside-New-Hampshire-home-bitter-cold.html
1547520888903.png
1547520902579.png

Their neighbor, Shane Rowe and his girlfriend heard cries around 4am Monday but didn't see anything.

They went back to bed and later found the girl at the bottom of the stairs leading to the child's apartment.
That is heart breaking.

Maybe it had enough and figured it knew everything that was ever going to learn from this family then decided take its chances out on the road. Of course it being January that's a pretty silly notion but what do you expect it was a baby okay okay two and a half...but still.

He also said the front door leading outside was easy to open and the family had not had time to put bolt locks on the entrance.

I would've fixed it if I had to stay up all night. If I had had to stay up all night the little girl wouldn't have been able to escape. I would've been worried about intruders if nothing else. They just moved in. No boxes too heavy for her to move to put in front of the door you knew was very easy to open?

Newport does not have a big crime rate, and there are lots of small towns like this in NH where people don't lock their cars, or their houses for the most part. I have plenty of friends who i can stop at their house any time of day - weather they are home or not and their doors are unlocked.

I feel so bad for their neighbor, who heard something - and then found the little girl the next morning.

@Victoria

That really is a beautiful image.

My heart is breaking for the parents and the neighbors who will regret that they went to check on the noise.
1547593043717.png
1547593073259.png

Last edited:
Back