• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A 2-year-old boy died Sunday evening at his family home in Millard County after being stepped on by a horse.

The incident happened at about 7:25 p.m. at the Hinckley residence, Lt. Robert Clark, Millard County Sheriff’s Office, told Gephardt Daily.

“Apparently, the child had been stepped on in the chest area by a horse,” Clark said. “He was being treated by his parents.”

The family has a private arena for riding horses, Clark said.

“The dad had taken his son off, and the horse became spooked for some reason.”

A medical crew worked to save the child for about an hour, Clark said, but ultimately, the toddler was pronounced dead at the scene.
1568767006904.png
1568767021062.png

the horse became spooked for some reason
Oh poor Freckles, thought of ants and a kid died.

I'm not blaming the dad here. Utter random accident. Dumb horse could've moved in any other direction, but just happened to respond to its hourly freak out by stomping a kid.

I wonder if the horse is headed toward the great big glue factory in the sky now. I certainly wouldn't be able to look at it the same way ever again.

Horses can be very dangerous just due to their size. Very tragic accident. Years ago I knew a widow whose husband had been thrown from a horse and died. Back around 2004 or so a coworker (who still has horses) was trampled and very seriously injured; care flighted. She recovered but then just a few years later her friend who was a very avid rider was sitting on her horse at the end of a trail ride when another horse kicked hers but got her instead. Kicked the eyes right out of her head. She died in hospital the next day. My son's father-in-law was injured when the horses he was moving got into a tiff. I have always loved horses, but I've become leery of them now. Do you blame me?

@Satanica Horse temperament and how easy they are to spook comes down onto owners a majority of the time. Horses do have their own temperament, but you can work out most of the bad with enough fucks given. And the spook-able is completely avoidable with training. Also...breeds matter! Hes got his toddler sitting on a thoroughbred in the one picture. Definitely not the best choice for a small child to be around. They are hot headed and known to be flighty and high strung. They use them as race horse for that very reason.

I grew up on a 20 acre farm. At any point we had anywhere from 10-30 horses. All problem horses we took in. We had one that would full on charge bears but was deathly afraid of garter snakes. She almost took my head off with a tree branch while chasing a bear during a trail ride but she would spook and throw you if you walked her by a plastic bag(snake!!!). Another that was beaten so badly by a former male owner that she tried to kill the new owners husband. She was turned over to a rescue center were she broke 8 ribs and tried to smother the male owner of the rescue center. My stepdad later took her in because they couldnt find anyone who would home her. We never had a problem with her and she became inseparable with my stepdad. Kept her for over 16 years until she died. We had a hairless horse(she'd been abused and burned so badly she had no hair anywhere) that the police found abandoned standing on a metal grated suspension bridge. She was scared of everything. She made a bond with one of our other horses and you couldnt take one out without the other or she would try and buck you and run back to him. If she was with him, she was fearless and well behaved.

I've been saved from being trampled to death by the very same horse that threw me. A lot of horses means you cant ride each one every day. I used to do a lot of pasture rides using just a halter to let them burn some energy. They'd see me coming with the halter and run to the fence to wait for me. I was an idiot one day and rode the horse I was on over near a fence line were the rest of the mares were losing their minds trying to get to the stallion on the other side..my horse reared slightly in the chaos, I hit the ground and balled up with my hands around my neck and head. 20+ mares in heat going frantic over dick is no joke. Horse I was on stood over me and took the kicks and jostles from the other horses and protected me until shit calmed down. I came out of it with some scrapes, some nasty bruises and a dislocated shoulder but nothing too terribly bad considering. I rode the horse back even with a dislocated shoulder because even though I could have walked her back, if you dont get back on..you let fear set in and you fear the "what ifs" and then horses become terrifying.

Most people buy a horse they think is already trained. They ride it a few times now and then but never really work on keeping that training up to date. They all have issues and people seem to forget that their size alone makes even a small slip in behaviour potentially fatal.

I loved them so much growing up. I read everything I could about then and wanted one. Would sneak off and visit a horse a few streets over. Almost got trampled on afternoon when one of his owners was going to give him a bath. She had already turned on the water and sort of swung the hose around to where the horse was, and he spooked and bolted just a bit. I had jumped out of the way just in case.

Even that was something I considered a good memory, so my "new" fear is very disappointing. :( At least I had gotten to ride a Peruvian Paso back when I was with my first husband, and that is a memory I will always treasure. If I were to get a horse to ride, I'd definitely want a paso.

Horses can be very dangerous just due to their size. Very tragic accident. Years ago I knew a widow whose husband had been thrown from a horse and died. Back around 2004 or so a coworker (who still has horses) was trampled and very seriously injured; care flighted. She recovered but then just a few years later her friend who was a very avid rider was sitting on her horse at the end of a trail ride when another horse kicked hers but got her instead. Kicked the eyes right out of her head. She died in hospital the next day. My son's father-in-law was injured when the horses he was moving got into a tiff. I have always loved horses, but I've become leery of them now. Do you blame me?

I not only don't blame you, I believe you. A zillion years ago in elementary school, a classmate's little sister walked behind a horse in their barn and was kicked in the face. She survived but a shoulder was crushed and she almost lost an eye, facing years of physical therapy and plastic surgery thereafter. I still wonder if she would have made it if her father hadn't been a doctor who was able to start emergency care immediately. Horses are beautiful creatures, but nose petting outside a corral is as close as I'm willing to venture these days.

Back