• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Authorities are investigating after a 2-year-old boy who was on the radar of child welfare officials died at a Wichita motel.

The Kansas Department of Children and Families identified the boy Thursday as Zayden Jaynesahkluah. Police say he was pronounced dead on May 31 after a woman called to report that he wasn't breathing.

No information has been released about how he died, and no arrests have been made. Police say they are awaiting a toxicology report.

State Rep. Michael Capps, a Wichita Republican, told KSNW-TV that welfare officials had been involved with Zayden's family before he died.

"At this time, we don't have details specific to the case other than the fact that this was an active DCF investigation, and the child did die in the course of that investigation," Capps said.

The welfare agency said in a statement that state law allows it to release further information about the case if it finds that Zayden's death was a result of abuse or neglect. The statement said it will take several weeks to make a finding. Saint Francis Ministries, a child welfare contractor, also released a statement in which it said it would work closely with the welfare agency to review its policies and procedures.

Zayden's father, Caleb Jaynesahkluah, said he also has questions about how his son died but was alarmed about the speculation on social media, noting that "it's still pending an investigation." He also requested prayers for his family.

"I just hope no one else has to go through this," Jaynesahkluah said.

As the investigation continues into 2-year-old Zayden Jaynesahkluah's death, Eyewitness News hears from the boy's mother about what she witnessed prior to emergency crews finding the boy dead in a south Wichita motel room on May 31 and what she says are misconceptions about how she treated Zayden.

Zayden's mother, Kim Compass, says she was staying at the south Wichita motel last Friday (May 31) when she woke up to find her son deathly ill.

"When I got up to get him, I saw he had (thrown) up," Compass says. "I immediately called the EMS, the paramedics, 911. They told me to do CPR on him. "It freaked me out. I became hysterical, which of course, I would. He's my son. Then I just waited for them to get there to help."

Zayden died at the motel and the Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) opened the investigation. Compass says any past contact she's had with DCF was based on false claims.

"A lot of people were calling DCF on me, making false reports," she says.

She says since Zayden's death, those false statements have continued.

"Everybody says they're not jealous of me," Compass says. "They have no reason to be, but as a mother who has just lost her son, what other reasons would you have to be hateful in this situation when I've done nothing but care for my children?"

No arrests have been made by police who say they're waiting for the results of toxicology tests before making any decisions. Meanwhile Compass wants to clear up any misconceptions about her relationship with her children and mourn the loss of her son.

"It's hard for me also with everybody being so accusive," she says. "The people that are closest to me are trying to support me more than ever now through this process because they know in their hearts how good of a person I am and how much I enjoy all kids and that I would never hurt my son."

Zayden JayNesahkluah weighed under 3 1/2 pounds when he was born, but he grew to be a rambunctious toddler who liked to take all of the toys out of his toy box and climb inside.

He loved to smile and he was a beautiful boy, said his father, Caleb “Bear” JayNesahkluah.

Three days before his third birthday, Zayden was found dead at a south Wichita motel where he had been staying with his mother, Kimberly Compass.

The cause of death is unknown, and his death is under investigation.

It’s unclear what level of involvement Kansas’ child welfare agency had with Zayden or his mother. The Kansas Department for Children and Families does not publicly release records until they find a child’s death or near death was a result of abuse or neglect. That hasn’t been determined yet.

For much of his life, Zayden was raised by various family members. For about a year he was in the care of his mother’s cousin, Shelby Curry, and her then-husband, Quentin Curry.

“His mom, she would go say, ‘Can you watch him for an hour?’ and come back three days later,” she said. “That was pretty much how it went.”

When Zayden was with her, he was happy, she said.

“And that’s how people should remember him,” Curry said, pointing to a photo of Zayden smiling on the cover of his funeral program.

Curry said she doesn’t want people to remember him the way he appears in a picture that’s being shared on social media and television news, a photo that shows him with bruises on his face. It’s unclear how he got them or when the photo was taken.

Wright said she’s reserving judgment about what happened to Zayden until the autopsy comes back, but added that she wants to raise awareness about child abuse and urge people to do whatever they can to prevent another child death.

The mother of a 2-year-old boy who was found dead in a Wichita motel has been arrested in his death.

Wichita police spokesman Charley Davidson said that 23-year-old Kimberly Compass was arrested Thursday for the death of Zayden Jaynesahkluah. Jail records show she's being held without bond for first-degree murder.

The boy was found dead May 31 at the Sunset Motel where he lived with his mother.

Davidson said that new information from the Regional Forensic Science Center led to the arrest. He did not elaborate. Information on how the boy died has not been released.

Davidson said the investigation is continuing.

A Kansas toddler found unresponsive inside a motel room earlier this summer overdosed on methadone.

According to an autopsy report made public on Wednesday, Zayden JayNesahkluah died as a result of “methadone toxicity.” In addition to testing the 2-year-old’s blood for substances, examiners also tested several objects found at the Wichita motel, where he’d been staying with his 23-year-old mother, Kimberly Compass.

A juice bottle filled with a red liquid and cigarette butt tested positive for methadone — an addiction treatment medication and painkiller — and nicotine as did a soda can, which was also stuffed with cigarette butts and ash, the Wichita Eagle reported. Still, it’s unclear how Zayden consumed the substance.

The toddler’s death was originally thought to be linked to medical issues and the autopsy additionally noted Zayden was born prematurely. He had been treated to for seizures, believed to be linked to a viral infection, at a local hospital less than a month before his death.
1567135093042.png

Court records say a Wichita toddler who died at a motel had enough methadone in his system to kill an opioid-addicted adult.

The Wichita Eagle reports details were included in an affidavit released Tuesday in the case against 23-year-old Kimberly Compass. She's charged with first-degree murder in the May 31 death of her 2-year-old son, Zayden JayNesahkluah.
[...]
The affidavit says police found three empty or mostly empty bottles of methadone that had been prescribed to Compass in an unlocked child's Avengers pencil box.
[...]
She said she didn't give Zayden methadone, but fruit punch that she said he drank tested positive for the drug.

A Wichita boy who was found dead in a pool of pink vomit had enough methadone in his system to kill an opiod-addicted adult, according to new information released in the mother’s murder case.

The detective wrote that Zayden was found lying in vomit. Police then found three bottles of methadone in an unlocked child’s Avengers pencil box. The bottles were Compass’s prescriptions.

I believe she gave him the methadone on purpose.

Kimberly Compass was found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of her 2-year-old son Zayden Jaynesahkluah on Monday.

Zayden died of a methadone overdose in a motel on May 31, 2019. Methadone is a prescription used to treat opioid addiction.

After two hours of deliberations, and a guilty verdict, Kimberly Compass raised her hand and objected, asking the judge if she could speak.

“Can I ask you a question sir?” asked Compass.

“You may not,” said Judge O’Connor.

“Okay so who do I need to ask a question about Reggie Whiters — he murdered my son, you guys convicted me guilty?” asked Compass.

“Ms. Compass you need to be quiet,” said Judge O’Connor.

Reggie Whiters is Compass’s friend who was with her at the time Zayden died.

Zayden’s father Caleb Jaynesahkluah said the verdict is a step toward closure for his family. He said in just seven days it will be the 2 year anniversary of Zayden’s death.

“I’m just glad that now I finally have something to say to say to him after I leave here from y’all — I’m gonna go to his grave so I can finally tell my baby boy that there is something,” said Caleb Jaynesahkluah.

Prosecutors accused Compass of mishandling three bottles of methadone, which had been prescribed to help her kick a heroin habit. It remains unclear exactly how the boy got ahold of the methadone. Her defense attorney argued throughout the trial that Compass didn’t know the boy ingested the drug.

Before the jury deliberated closing arguments were held. Compass did not take the stand in her trial. A judge provided the jury with seven instructions before they went into deliberations.

“She was reckless,” said Kelsey Floyd, prosecuting attorney. “She was reckless with how she handled it. She was reckless of how she handled it around her son. It was her methadone that she was responsible that was in his sytem at the time he died. She is responsible. She killed him because of her recklessness, and I’m asking you to hold her accountable for that.”

“What Kimberly Compass did that day doesn’t make sense to charge her with the crime that she is charged with,” said Steve Mank, defense attorney. “There are too many questions, too many unanswered questions, too much speculation, and too many what if, is it possible. The state needs to prove each and every element required by law under a reasonable doubt, and they can not do that in this case.”
1621978509424.png

Last edited:

I believe she gave him the methadone on purpose.
Bet you she dosed him to put him to sleep with the juice/methadone mixture. Then one time the baby probably went to get juice on his own and drank too much. Glad they got her for murder. Also I can only imagine how insufferable she is to be around, just from the "They are jealous of me" statement. No one is jealous your son is DEAD, how fucking delusional.

Last edited:
From Aug. 2021
Kimberly Compass, 25, convicted in the methadone death of her 2-year-old son arrived in court for

Compass asked the court for a new attorney and Judge Kevin O’Connor granted that request, according to the Sedgwick County District Attorney's office.

In May, a jury convicted Compass of first-degree felony murder after her 2-year-old son died from ingesting methadone. A Sedgwick County jury deliberated about two hours before finding her guilty in the death of Zayden Jay Nesahkluah.

Zayden died of a methadone overdose in a Wichita motel on May 31, 2019. Prosecutors accused Compass of mishandling three bottles of methadone, which had been prescribed to help her kick a heroin habit. It remains unclear exactly how the boy got ahold of the methadone.

Her defense attorney argued throughout the trial that Compass didn't know the boy ingested the drug.

The judge has not chosen the new defense attorney and has set no date for her next appearance in court, according to the district attorney's office.

Latest posts

Back