• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1567621962828.png

A pastor's wife in West Virginia has been charged with reckless endangerment after allegedly firing a gun in a church parking lot.

Melinda Frye Toney, 44, is accused of pulling out a pistol that accidentally discharged during an argument with another pastor's wife at New Life Apostolic Church in Oak Hill on May 11.

Toney is the wife of New Life pastor Earl Toney while the other woman, Lori Haywood, is married to New Life's youth pastor, David Haywood,

Fayette Sheriff's Detective Kevin Willis told the Beckley Register-Herald the animosity between the two women had been simmering for some time. Their husbands had thought the women should publicly bury the hatchet to avoid additional strife.

"The pastor and the youth pastor had thought, 'Maybe we could get them together, we can hash this out and fix this before it escalates,' " Willis said Wednesday. "Of course, it just made it worse, I think."

According to Willis, "the straw that broke the camel's back" was an argument over a t-shirt Haywood had was wearing.

Haywood would only say, "We had a disagreement, and when we sat down to talk, I called her out, and she lost it."

According to authorities, Melinda walked out of the church during the disagreement and went to her car in the parking lot, where she got her handgun.

Realizing what she intended, Earl and followed her outside.

Willis reports Pastor Toney intercepted his wife before she was able to come back inside the church and attempted to wrestle the gun out of her hand. The weapon fired a single shot during the struggle, but nobody was hurt.

Haywood, who was leaving the church when the gun discharged, called the police and told them that she was Toney's intended target. The department reviewed parking-lot surveillance video but could not determine whether the pistol was aimed at Haywood before it was fired.

Last edited:
Would appear the good pastor and his wife have been giving conflicting accounts of what happened...

According to Fayette County Deputies, a call came in for shots fired at the New Life Apostolic Church in Oak Hill, on Saturday, May 11, 2019. When deputies arrived, Earl Toney Jr., the pastor, stated that “his wife, (Melinda Toney), was getting into her purse for medicine and had her pistol in her hand and began having a seizure”. The pastor told authorities that a woman grabbed his wife from falling and he grabbed the gun. As he was grabbing the gun, it went off due to his wife being tensed up due to a seizure.

According to witnesses and surveillance footage, deputies say many discrepancies were observed from the statement the pastor and his wife gave. According to deputies, the video surveillance appeared to show Mrs. Toney intentionally grabbing what appeared to be a handgun from her purse, and that Mr. Toney grabbed her after the first shot went off.

Willis said that Toney had been in a conflict with Lori Haywood, 29, who is married to New Life Apostolic Youth Pastor David Haywood. Willis said the two ministers’ spouses had tension over a “minor conflict” and that an argument over a themed T-shirt that Haywood had worn to an event was “the straw that broke the camel’s back.”

“The pastor and the youth pastor had thought, ‘Maybe we could get them together, we can hash this out and fix this before it escalates,’ “ Willis said Wednesday. “Of course, it just made it worse, I think.”

According to Willis, the four met, along with the Haywood’s children, at the church on Saturday, May 11.
Haywood told The Register-Herald on Wednesday that, during the meeting, she had “called out” what she said were dishonest statements by Toney.

“We had a disagreement, and when we sat down to talk, I called her out,” said Haywood. “And she lost it.”
[...]
He added that Toney had a concealed weapon permit at the time the pistol fired, which he believes “should be revoked” after court proceedings on the wanton endangerment charge.
Willis stated that Toney did not speak to police after the alleged shooting but obtained an attorney.
“I’m not going to say she’s mentally ill,” Willis stated. “I’m going to say that, if there is some type of mental influence to that, we would probably find that out, later.

Honestly I saw enough bullshittery and back stabbing at my old church to believe anything. No more big churches and rival pastors for me.

Two Toneys at least.

The one article talked about how it's not uncommon for churches in the area to have at least one armed person with a concealed weapon in the congregation to keep everyone safe. I'm guessing this congregation doesn't have said person? Or they had already left for the day? Maybe the sad person in this one is the pastors gun toting wife?

I do enjoy the logic behind some of these Knuckleheads though. She is reportedly upset about gossip being spread around the community about her that is unfair. I'm sure brandishing a gun in a church parking lot will go a long way to quashing that gossip.

Now as has been alluded to by previous posters oh, I have to ask what the hell is up with her hair? That weird hairline thing does anybody know what that actually is? Is it a wig and that is the securing means that is failing?

Last edited:
Isn't it though.

Were I in a position of authority in Oak Hill, Fayette County, or West Virginia she would lose her driver's license and carry permit until she had been seizure-free for six months.

--Al
Texas requires no driving one year and an exam from a neurologist and an internal medicine doctor.. no license of any kind.. even potential for limiting the medical license you hold.

Finally, an article involving a youth pastor that doesn't involve child molestation.
DAMMIT!

Willis reports Pastor Toney intercepted his wife before she was able to come back inside the church and attempted to wrestle the gun out of her hand. The weapon fired a single shot during the struggle, but nobody was hurt.
That's a shame. At least one person involved needed to get punched in the nose.

Now as has been alluded to buy previous posters oh, I have to ask what the hell is up with her hair? That weird hairline thing does anybody know what that actually is? Is it a wig and that is the securing means that is failing?

Yes, it is a wig. A "lace front" wig. The lace front is meant to be discrete and blend in with the skin. She chose a lace front made for a person with darker skin, so it shows up on her pale skin and looks ridiculous. It is not failing to keep the wig secure, but it is too noticeable. She needs either a pale lace front, or a wig with bangs.

You know, the Apostalic ladies have a contest with the Church of God and Penecostal* ladies to see how long they can grow their hair and then how high they can tease it up. Honest to God, it's true. It can get ugly.

No matter how I spelled Penecostal my spell check didn't like it, so it stays like it is.

Back