• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1568501424379.png

In local news...

Two unsolved Ozarks murders are back in the news this week. In Izard County, a billboard advertising a reward in the murder case of Rebekah Gould was installed near Melbourne.

The billboard advertises a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the 15-year-old case.

Gould, who was from Mountain View, was found dead on Sept. 27, 2004 in a wooded area off of State Highway 9 south of Melbourne, seven days after she was reported missing.

In Searcy County, this month marks the 30th anniversary of the unsolved death of 16-year-old Olivia “Janie” Ward, who supposedly died after falling off a 9-inch-tall porch during a party with teens at a rural cabin near Marshall.

It was 30 years this week on Sept. 9, 1989 the unsolved tragedy occurred. Ward’s death is the subject of season two of a podcast series that wrapped on Wednesday with the final of eight episodes.

Investigative journalist, private investigator and Arkansas native Catherine Townsend of New York tackled the unsolved death in Searcy County through the podcast series Hell and Gone, after spending season one focusing on the unsolved murder in Izard County.

In both cases Townsend has worked with the Investigation Discovery network from her office in New York, 1,200 miles from the Ozark Mountains, as well as making numerous trips to Arkansas. She has hoped to accomplish what local law enforcement has not been able to do, solve the mystery surrounding the deaths of the young women from the Ozarks.

Earlier this year, Townsend told KTLO, Classic Hits and The Boot news, she was looking for a second unsolved case to include in the upcoming season two of the podcast when she saw a bumper sticker with the message Justice for Janie.

Audio links at the link!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the Gold Coast Australia. They don't fall off porches here but off high rise balconies with clockwork regularity.
One back packer fell off my building two floors above. I remember waking that night and smelling cigarette smoke really strongly. Thought it was weird but just fell back to sleep. Woke late in the morning and noticed a news van on the road but didn't think much of it. I didnt know a thing until I caught the news.
He was two floors above and climbed out the window to the wide ledge that ran the length of the apartment. To have a cigarette. I don't know how he fell but probably alcohol involved. He fell right past my window and hit the ground. Someone saw and tried to get to him (was a closed off area) while ringing emergency services. He lived for a short while but died before help arrived. Nine floors so not much chance anyway. I think ten is terminal velocity.
It was all cleaned up and over by the time I found out.
I think it was his cigarette I smelt.

Back