• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A New Jersey mother has been arrested after her 1-year-old daughter died from being left in hot car for over 2 hours, prosecutors said.

Chaya Shurkin, 25, was arrested on Sunday and is charged with endangering the welfare of a child, according to the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.

The case began on May 6, when officers responded to a Lakewood home for a report of a child in distress, prosecutors said.

Shurkin's daughter, who was 21 months old, was left alone in Shurkin's car in the heat for about 2.5 hours, prosecutors said.

The temperature reached 71 degrees in nearby Trenton that day.

The officers arrived on scene and found a neighbor trying to give the baby CPR, prosecutors said. She was taken to a hospital where she died.

"The investigation determined that the act of leaving the child in the car unattended for such a long period of time was the cause and manner of the child's death," Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley Billhimer said in a statement on Monday.

A law enforcement source told NBC 4 that Shurkin brought the girl home after she was taken to day care, but she refused to go inside, and “there was a miscommunication about whether the toddler’s mother or father would bring the toddler in from the car.”

It's an excuse, a 2yo can't make that kind of decision, obviously mom and dad can't either. They can chose their clothes for the day, whether or not they like broccoli, chicken nuggets or cheese burger at McDonald's but absolutely not whether they feel like going inside or staying in the car. That's just stupid on the part of the adults.

Why does this worthless excuse for a mother have a look of pure indifference on her stupid face??? If it was truly an accident shouldn't she have bloodshot eyes from balling since she just killed her baby? I would have ran into traffic before the police arrested me if I accidentally killed my kid.

Heck, I was still picking my kid up and depositing her where she needed to be if she refused when she was 7 or 8. No excuse to pander to a toddler like that. Well, guess that's a moot point now anyway

A Lakewood mother pleaded guilty Friday to endangering the welfare of a child in the accidental hot car death of her 21-month-old daughter, officials said.

Prosecutors plan to recommend that Chaya Shurkin get probation when the 27-year-old is sentenced in July, according to Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer.

Shurkin on May 6, 2019 left her daughter alone in her vehicle for about two-and-a-half hours with the car off in the heat, authorities said. Called to reports of a child in distress, emergency crews tried to revive the girl, but she died at a local hospital, authorities have said.
“Sadly, the loss of this child was totally avoidable,” Billhimer said in a statement. “Ms. Shurkin lost a child as a consequence of her own inattention; this is a burden she must carry with her for the rest of her life, which amounts to a far greater punishment than any sentence the state could possibly recommend to a court.”

Billhimer said a sentence of probation was how similar cases have been handled.

“It should be noted that [prosecutors] recommendation for probation is consistent with the manner in which the majority of these dreadful types of cases have been handled in Ocean County, as well as throughout this state and nation, and it represents an acknowledgment that the loss of a child - under these horrific circumstances – is tantamount to a life-sentence in and of itself,” the prosecutor added.

A Lakewood mother pleaded guilty Friday to endangering the welfare of a child in the accidental hot car death of her 21-month-old daughter, officials said.

Prosecutors plan to recommend that Chaya Shurkin get probation when the 27-year-old is sentenced in July, according to Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer.

Billhimer said a sentence of probation was how similar cases have been handled.

How many people have gotten away with purposely killing their children using the hot car method?

By broadcasting that probation is the typical sentence could that not be an incentive to parents that want to get rid of their kids as well.

Back