• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Marv

Trusted Member
I did a search but nothing showed up, so apologies if this has been posted already. Also, wasn't too sure where to put it - it happened in Russia, but it's an American woman who abandoned them, so..........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ian-twins-15-months-St-Petersburg-street.html

Twins adopted by an American woman, 28, were found abandoned on a freezing Russian street with a note saying she no longer wanted them.

Sasha and Masha are just 15 months old and the 'cruelty' of the mother's rejection has led to a demand from the Kremlin's children's tsar Pavel Astakhov for a total ban on adoptions to American parents.

He branded the woman - who has not been identified and is now on the run - as an 'absolutely immoral person', and the case has been dubbed an 'outrage' by the Russian media.

It has alarming echoes of a 2010 episode in which Tennessee woman Torry Hansen sent her adopted seven-year-old Russian son Artem Saveliev on a plane back to Moscow alone with a message saying: 'I no longer wish to parent this child.'

Custodial staff in Russia's second city of St Petersburg discovered the twins - a boy and a girl - in sub-zero temperatures close to the front door of their institution.

'An unidentified man brought them in a pram and left quickly,' said the city's children's ombudsman Svetlana Agapitova.
[...]

Officials said they were adopted six months ago in the Russian city of Tula by the woman who posed as a single mother and made a 'positive impression'.

A search warrant has been issued and she is wanted by Russian police. She was believed to be abroad, with one report saying she did not ask anyone to give the children back and claiming she has suffered a mental breakdown as a result of the scandal.

The woman reportedly lied when she adopted the children by failing to admit her US citizenship - and the fact that she was married to an American, who should have been vetted for his suitability as an adopted father, said officials.

When the authorities discovered this they demanded the adoptive mother give details of the man, and provide his consent to caring for the children.

'Soon after this, the children were found abandoned in an act of the most awful cruelty,' said a source.

Mr Astakhov condemned the woman's 'immoral and illegal act' and called for her to be stripped of her U.S. passport.

His press office claimed the woman 'is destroying the work done by the U.S. to bring order to adoption issues. Unfortunately, the US is currently unable to protect children adopted in Russia.'
[...]

The U.S. address of the woman and her husband were not disclosed.

34hw39i.jpg

xm7odz.jpg

First I have to just say this........what pretty babies! They are so cute I want to kiss their little cheeks!

I'm think there is something really really wrong with the husband in this story. She lied about being married and then when they found out about the man they requested more information on him and to make sure he was willing to care and provide for these babies (which too me makes perfect sense...I mean they didn't immediately take the children from her and just wanted more info on the huband which should have been given in the first place which in my opinion was more then fair to her) I doubt she brought them back because the husband flat out said no. If that were they case she could have let him say no and the agency would have just taken them anyway. No harm no foul to the babies (whom I just want to cuddle and play peek-a-boo with)

I think there is something about the father or his history that would disqualify him from adoption and that's why she lied. I sure in the Hell hope he isn't some kind of pedo and she lied to get the babies anyway. If he did have a history of abuse (sexual or non) the babies are better off returned anyways. I'm thinking the couple didn't want his dirty laundry exposed. He could very well be wanted or something.

It's sad she took the wrong way about returning them to the agency but in my opinon I'm thinking with something so shady going that she abandoned them and ran rather then give details on her hubby; then these kids are probably better off where they are.

I think I just fell in love with these babies....lol. Little man's eye's stole my heart. Oh if I didn't have 4 (and 2 them under the age of 3) and Russia didn't ban American adoptions at the moment I swear to you I would be trying to bring them home with me. It really really sucks that people like this bitch are going to screw up Russian-American adoptions. Lots of little one's who may have found loving homes here in the U.S. may now be stuck in the system for who knows how long. I canont fathom how people like this woman and the Tennessee woman could just abandon these children. Don't they realize adoption means they are yours. In both cases it sounds like the mother had failure to bond-Not the children.

Last edited:
Oh man that sweet little boys beautiful eyes just stolr my heart! I like most parents believe my son is the most beautiful thing on earth but he has some major competition lol. The lady who abandoned these beautiful babies should be ashamed of herself. She could have easily just handed the children back over if she was unwilling or unable to provide information about her husband. She and the woman in Tennessee give Americans a bad name when it comes to foreign based adoptions. Other countries are looking at these incidents and I'm sure its going to make them even more wary when it comes to American families wanting to adopt.

The story title is hard enough. But to see the babies was enough to make my heart break. I will take them in a heart beat of a second. No returns, no notes, just take them and raise them as my own.

That whore has salt water, cold salt water running through her veins.

Doesn't seem the Russians do much of a background check of prospective parents
Seems nothing about this women was true, bet it's harder to get a job over there than a baby
You just pay off some local government nobody and pick up your child of choice from the local orphanage
that happens to be more than happy to unload them.

Doesn't seem the Russians do much of a background check of prospective parents
Seems nothing about this women was true, bet it's harder to get a job over there than a baby
You just pay off some local government nobody and pick up your child of choice from the local orphanage
that happens to be more than happy to unload them.

I would actually be curious to know the cost of an American-Russian adoption. Where I am in Canada, the average cost is in the 20k range. Chinese adoptions can go up to around 30k.

I would love to be able to adopt lots of babies and children (I can't because I already have 4, soon to be 5 of my own). Honestly, if I was going to take the time to go through the whole process--lots of money, paperwork, investigations etc...I don't think I would want to give the child back for anything, even if there are numerous issues that might crop up at a later date. I would want to fight for my child (and yes, it would be my child)...and I would do whatever it took to keep the child with me.

Sigh. ONE more reason for Russia to NOT allow Americans to adopt.
Good job, bitch. What in Hades could these children have done for her not want them?
GRRR! I wanna beat this bitch up so freaking bad.
They probably acted like any other child
it just wasn't the fun she envisioned

Not discounting that children are tough to care for - but many of the Russian babies are not given the bonding they need to bond with an adoptive parent. I don't know the name of it...but it has a name!! Is it reactive detachment..or something?
It seems all the parents who have problems with children adopted from other countries - Russia is the one you hear the most about. The orphanages cannot (or will not?) give the kids the kind of care they need to socialize independently.
As a parent - I'd think I'd read up an all that stuff before adopting - going into it blindly helps no one. And now those kids have been abandoned TWICE.

IDK, [MENTION=3991]TKaz[/MENTION], I knew a woman who adopted from... was it Laos?
Anyway, Lisa and Rick brought Sydney in from another country and she's healthy and happy. Must be about 11 years old now.

I have two of my own and want another. Adoption will probably be what I'll do as i'm over forty and besides always wanted to adopt.
I'll take them now. A boy and girl. what a gift.

I would actually be curious to know the cost of an American-Russian adoption. Where I am in Canada, the average cost is in the 20k range. Chinese adoptions can go up to around 30k.

I would love to be able to adopt lots of babies and children (I can't because I already have 4, soon to be 5 of my own). Honestly, if I was going to take the time to go through the whole process--lots of money, paperwork, investigations etc...I don't think I would want to give the child back for anything, even if there are numerous issues that might crop up at a later date. I would want to fight for my child (and yes, it would be my child)...and I would do whatever it took to keep the child with me.

The average cost to adopt a child from Russia is between $25,000 and $35,000, including travel.

How Much Will it Cost to Adopt a Child From Russia?
Total expenses will include your registration, application, and home study fees. Additionally, there may be a home study review fee as well as a program fee, agency service fee, foreign fee, Dossier fees for notarized, authenticated, and apostilled documents, INS fees, state criminal, child abuse, and FBI clearances, Russian governmental fees, orphanage fee, post placement fees, travel fees and more. Your total estimated cost, including travel, should end up being approximately $25,000 to $35,000.

Note that the total fee will also vary depending on the home study and U.S. adoption agencies you deal with to complete your adoption and also depend on the region in Russia where your child comes from. Make sure when you are comparing agency costs that the services provided are comparable or identical.

http://www.internationaladoptionhel...ption/international_adoption_russia_costs.htm

BUT I understand that Russia has an enormous amount of children in orphanages. It also costs them a lot to care for these children (and if the reports are correct, some don't really get any care due to lack of funds)

I am betting in a situation like that, someone could adopt without all that costs because they need to lighten their orphan load. And do you have to go through an agency? Why couldn't someone just approach child services or whatever that department is and get it going on their own?

I heard of that disorder, I was a teenager when I first heard about it. My sisters would visit the orphanages but it was too hard on me as a teen.

All that aside, I can't help but want to beat the snot out of this whore. Did she not do her homework during the adoption process? Did she just pick up a map and point to Russia for the place she would adopt the kids from? I mean, it's not like buying a dress, it doesn't fit so return it. These are human beings who have either lost their home and family, or just never had one. How can someone be so callous as to travel to another country, adopt these babies, and then go back and dump them in the street??

They were better off where they were before the Devil and his hooker showed up.

Sasha and Masha are just 15 months old and the 'cruelty' of the mother's rejection has led to a demand from the Kremlin's children's tsar Pavel Astakhov for a total ban on adoptions to American parents.

That wouldn't have helped in this situation, no one even knew she WAS an American when she adopted the babies. It sounds like the agencies need to focus more on the adoption process rather than blacklisting an entire country.

This makes it sound like the woman was Russian but because she had dual citizenship they're referring to her as an American.

The adoption is said to have gone through as the women had presented a "positive impression" to adoption officials. However, it turns out this woman was not who she claimed to be. Pravda reported she concealed her dual Russian-U.S. citizenship and the fact she'd planned to raise the babies in the U.S.
Additionally, she is purportedly married, which means her foreigner husband should have been vetted out to see if he was an appropriate candidate for an adoptive father, and this process follows different rules than if the father was Russian.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/321085

Obviously this person that abandoned these sweet babies is American, a Russian woman would have never abandoned such cute and sweet babies!!!

Geeezzz give me a break!

IDK, [MENTION=3991]TKaz[/MENTION], I knew a woman who adopted from... was it Laos?
Anyway, Lisa and Rick brought Sydney in from another country and she's healthy and happy. Must be about 11 years old now.
Of course there's wonderful stories everywhere (we never hear about those on the DD) & adoption is a beautiful thing for both parties.
I've read a lot about Russia is all - from the overflowing orphanages to kids who seem to be "problem children" which to me just means they need extra care & understanding.....someone who doesn't see it coming though, may be ill prepared.

As for the woman in the article, Russian or American this was obviously more than being ill prepared....this was downright mean & abusive to do to a child(ren).
If for some reason they didn't bond with others, her, whoever....how hard do you think it's going to be NOW? Poor babies.

In 2011, 970 Russian children were taken to the U.S. for adoption. The larger number of children was adopted only from China and Ethiopia. Thus, Russia is one of the leading donor countries sending its children to foreign nationals. The widespread belief that mainly disabled children abandoned by their Russian foster parents are adopted is refuted by experts. However, there is hope that things will change. Recently the website of the U.S. State Department on foreign adoptions reported that adoption of orphans from Russia is virtually frozen. However, there is no official confirmation of this yet.

In late February two kids who were adopted earlier were brought to St. Petersburg guardianship office. The reason for the return was clear right away. The foster mother did not reveal the fact that she has dual citizenship - U.S. and Russian. She adopted the children, of course, as a citizen of Russia, but was going to live with them in the U.S. It would seem there is no difference here, but in terms of the law it is significant.

Foreign adoptive parents (and since the woman resides in the United States with her husband, a citizen of this country, she had to adopt children by the rules for foreigners) can become foster parents for Russian orphans only through the mediation of specialized agencies. Also by law, the Russian citizens must take precedence. Therefore, children are given to foreign adoptions only after being rejected twice by potential Russian parents.

Print version
Font Size
Send to friend
The woman would have to go through the entire process of adoption again, while paying a lot of money as a citizen of the United States. As a result, she chose to abandon the twins, who, from her point of view, probably were not worth the effort. Perhaps the changed attitude of the Russian authorities to the problem of foreign adoptions also played its role.

A few days ago the website of the government of the U.S. Department of the foreign adoption reported that the local departments of education and some courts in Russia virtually froze adoptions to the United States. In particular, there were several cases of refusal to proceed with the necessary documents. However, as the website of the department stated, no official guidance on this matter has been received and therefore they continue to work closely with the Russian authorities.

The same site provides the statistics of children adopted by Americans from other countries. The world map presented here shows that nearly all countries, except for only two or three, are "donors" sending their children to the United States. Over the past 10 years, American adoptive parents adopted 233,934 children from around the world.

Of course, the numbers vary by country. There are two world leaders - China and Russia. In the period from 1999 to 2011, 45, 112 Russian children were taken up for adoption to the United States. This is just the official statistics. If we consider the 1990s, when foreign adoptions in Russia were not controlled, this number should be doubled or even tripled.

In the period from 1999 to 2011, 66,630 children were adopted from China, 8,889 - from Ukraine, and 6,421 - from Kazakhstan. Only two children were adopted from Iraq, where the war has been ongoing for the past few years. Only 14 children were adopted from Somalia, where the situation is also not conducive to children's well-being.

In 2011, Americans adopted 970 Russian children, 2,589 children from China and 1,727 from Ethiopia. The list of former Soviet republics includes Ukraine (632 children), Latvia (56), Armenia (22), Lithuania (20), Moldova (10) Estonia (7) Belarus (1), and Tajikistan (2).

As for the age of Russian orphans adopted by Americans, the bulk of them (60 percent) are in a group from 12 to 24 months of age. In second place (15 percent) are children from three to four years old. In the third place (12 percent) are children aged five to 12. Six percent are infants and four percent - teenagers.

The site of the U.S. Department of foreign adoption also provides the information of the amounts that the Americans have to pay for an orphan from another country. In China the number is $15,930 USD, in Moldova - $23,365, in Poland - $17,375 dollars. Russia is not listed. It is clear that intermediary agencies take money for their help in the adoption, and it is unlikely this amount is any lower than in other countries. Nevertheless, it is cheaper for the Americans to adopt abroad as in the U.S. this procedure is no less than 30,000 dollars.

Of course, $15-20 thousand dollars is a lot of money, and one can only be happy for a country whose citizens are willing to spread such amount for the right to become parents of a child from another country. However, it should be noted that the government stimulates this desire. For example, the adoptive parents are entitled to an interest-free loan to buy a home.

Their employers are entitled to a substantial tax credit. That is, all money spent on the adoption is offset, which means that it is profitable to be adoptive parents in the United States. This explains the fact that adoptive parents are sometimes the people who already have children of their own.

The U.S. does not experience a demographic crisis - unlike Russia. Nevertheless, the U.S. authorities are willing to financially stimulate the "import" of children from other countries, recognizing that human capital is becoming increasingly crucial for the welfare of the country. Meanwhile, Russia is taking measures to stimulate birth rate with one hand, and blesses children for export with another. Note that 970 children are only those who were taken to the U.S., the number of the total foreign adoptions from Russia to other countries is several times higher.

The most common argument in favor of the adoption by foreign citizens is that they adopt mostly sick children and the disabled, abandoned by the Russian adoptive parents. Anton Zharov, who is a lawyer for the adoption and lecturer in the School of the adoptive parents Charitable Foundation "Family", knows the situation from the inside, and has very different opinion in this respect: "The more children are in an orphanage, the higher the likelihood that some girl or boy will find a foreign adopter. Why foreign? If the adoption in Russia is just "reducing the contingent," that the adoption abroad is always an opportunity to get certain compensation ".

In order for foreign adoption to work, there has to be a sufficiently large number of children who have been in a federal data bank for over six months. For these children not be adopted by Russians, all they have to do is simply make up some scary diagnosis for the child, and better more than one. This should be accompanied by horrible ancestry - a drug addict and alcoholic mother, and even worse father.

A letter from the adoptive parents published in the blog of Anton Zharov in the online magazine "Snob" confirms this theory. In an orphanage the parents were offered a three- months-old baby declined by three couples of potential adopters. The child was a favorite of nurses and generally charming baby. "The infected children are always good," sadly pursed her lips the head doctor, scaring the potential parents with hepatitis C and other horrors. However, the couple decided to adopt anyway. Once they have made all required tests, it became clear that the child did not have hepatitis, as well as all other diagnoses. The nurses then admitted they were preparing the child for foreign adoption.

It turns out that foreigners often adopt children with severe diagnoses. Subsequently, they miraculously "recover" because of excellent parental care. According to Anton Zharov, Russian adoptive parents today are competing with foreigners for the right to take a child into the family. The most demanded age group is from zero to four years. There are not that many of these children. But foreign adoption agencies have an opportunity to turn this around.

In 2007, according to the Ministry of Education, 4,536 of children were adopted overseas, while in Russia 125,025 children were adopted for all forms of family, including guardianship and foster families. This means that a myth that the Russians do not want to adopt children is also untrue. This myth is beneficial for many interested parties - orphanages and children's homes, adoption agencies and foreign adoptive parents. It is not beneficial for Russia. But apparently, it is not considered a powerful argument for banning foreign adoptions.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/family/13-03-2012/120760-russia_children-0/

That is interesting, [MENTION=1483]Rockin Ma[/MENTION]. It seems to me that there is an effort afoot to blacken the US as a pool of potential adoptive parents.

Here we have a woman with dual citizenship, which can only mean that she's Russian, too. As a Russian, she should be entitled to adopt as a Russian. When she bails, because the system is greedy and wants her to pay as a foreigner, she bails and the US gets the bad rep. Moreover, she was still in Russia, not in the US. How does that equal bad faith on the part of the US? The authorities in charge were entirely Russian.

I have a problem with that. I can totally understand Russian reluctance based on some of the other cases, but if this is the case that breaks the camel's back, this is because the camel was looking very hard for that straw. I'm reasonably certain that a less convoluted case would have come along sooner or later.

But, we've been told before that Russians don't like to adopt (therefore, orphans are more likely to be sent abroad). The article above seems to refute that. No, it seems that Russian authorities are actively encouraging Russian parents to have unwanted babies for their adoption market, which the authorities then cynically gin up "evidence" that they are sick babies, which no Russian couple would want to adopt. (Makes you wonder how sincere prospective Russian parents are.) But, what's this? The Russian authorities are encouraging Russian to have babies specifically to feed the world market in babies?!!

And I certainly wasn't aware of benefits owing me if I adopted a foreign child, both from the federal government and from my employer? Has anyone else heard of this? What reason would our government have for doing this? Should we all rush out now and buy ourselves a foreign child? (Obviously not from Russia, though.)

This makes it sound like the woman was Russian but because she had dual citizenship they're referring to her as an American.

Thank you [MENTION=2450]Obsolete[/MENTION]! I had been puzzling over this:

Mr Astakhov condemned the woman's 'immoral and illegal act' and called for her to be stripped of her U.S. passport.

I considered dual-citizenship but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere else. It didn't make sense that they were calling for her to be stripped of her US passport.

I have never heard of ADOPTIVE parents getting any kind of government assistance because they adopted, neither domestically or abroad. I know that fostering will get you a little bit, not a lot. My understanding is that when you adopt, the child is then yours and you assume all responsibility for the child, unless you are adopting a disabled child and then, *I think* you would get some assistance like medicaid and etc.....

I was thinking that I misunderstood when I read that about all the stuff they were saying you could get by adopting, I guess I didn't.

I have never heard of ADOPTIVE parents getting any kind of government assistance because they adopted, neither domestically or abroad. I know that fostering will get you a little bit, not a lot. My understanding is that when you adopt, the child is then yours and you assume all responsibility for the child, unless you are adopting a disabled child and then, *I think* you would get some assistance like medicaid and etc.....

I was thinking that I misunderstood when I read that about all the stuff they were saying you could get by adopting, I guess I didn't.

My best friend adopted his daughter. He gets certain perks like lifetime passes to any state park, and discounts at the state zoos but nothing from the government.

One of my children was adopted by a family who did get compensation from the state for the adoption and care of this child. She wasn't disabled when she was adopted, but the state provided a lot of financial and medical care for her, to help the family.

~shadow

Back