• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jaded

Staff member
Q0J1enh.jpg

Fifteen years after a man kidnapped a 14-year-old boy at gunpoint, blindfolded him and then sexually assaulted him, Los Angeles police arrested a suspect this week after a DNA match cracked the cold case open.

Mirek Paul Voyt, a 54-year-old former grocery store manager, was arrested at his Hollywood home Tuesday and charged in connection with the Northridge assault, LAPD Capt. Billy Hayes said at a news conference Thursday.

The break in the case came last year, Hayes said, when Voyt was convicted of stealing money from the grocery store chain where he worked. Because Voyt was convicted of a felony, his DNA was collected and entered into a statewide database, where it matched DNA evidence from the 2001 assault, Hayes said.

[...]

Voyt pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges of kidnapping to commit rape and forcible oral copulation, the district attorney’s office said. A judge set his bail at more than $1 million.

The attack occurred the morning of June 22, 2001, when two teenagers were walking near Vanalden Avenue and Chase Street, on their way to school. A man — blonde, in his late 30s, about 5 feet 10 — confronted the boys with a gun, Hayes said. One of the boys was able to run away, Hayes said. The man took the other.

The man then took the boy to a nearby location — investigators now believe it was Voyt’s home — and sexually assaulted him, Hayes said.

After the boy was released, the LAPD’s Robbery-Homicide Division — an elite unit that typically handles complex or high-profile cases — began investigating the attack. DNA was collected and entered into the statewide system at the time, Hayes said, but didn’t match anything already in the database.

Now, Hayes said, investigators are worried that Voyt might have attacked others during the 15-year gap between the assault and his arrest. Though Hayes said investigators had not tied Voyt to any specific cases, the captain urged anyone who might have information to contact police.

[...]

“When you look at a predator of this nature and the violence that occurred in 2001, although he’s remained off the radar in terms of other criminal acts, one would find it hard to believe that this was his only time,” Hayes said.

Link

Glad they finally got him.
I cannot imagine the fear and unknowing that plagued this family for almost 2 decades.

I cannot imagine the fear and unknowing that plagued this family for almost 2 decades.

I didn't even think of that part ... I got stuck at DNA and the fact that this dude really enjoyed what he was doing, I'm assuming that the DNA was semen, because there was a gun and I doubt this kid fought back. But you're right ... He let me go but what if he comes back fear down the street and around the corner forever until now....Horrific.

I so love it when a seemingly dead in the water cold case takes another spin on the wheel and at long last hits on JACKPOT!!

713788-tn_hand22121.gif

I'm glad and surprised that this case is having some closure, your lucky to get ahold of a good detective in the south area that will even pursue a murder investigation this old though they should. LA, OC, SB have a multitude of buried cases that probably could be solved with the right people on them​

This is why it's great when DNA is taken in felony cases. Does every state do that? If not, they should. I'm reminded of a book I read a few months ago in which a California serial killer was nabbed because his son got nailed on a felony drug charge. When the son's DNA was taken, it showed a familial match to the serial killer's DNA, which had been left behind at one of the crime scenes.

When the son's DNA was taken, it showed a familial match to the serial killer's DNA, which had been left behind at one of the crime scenes.
agreed! only issue I would have is dna tampering but if they made those mandatory felon crimes and upheld them that would nip a problem in the bud before it became an issue

dna tampering

This is one of the reasons I think we should all have our DNA on file and not just some of us.
For some reason I think that it would reduce the instances of tapering some how ... larger pool, the possibility of getting hits increases so less motivation for tampering maybe ... great point though corrupt people are every where.

I didn't even think of that part ... I got stuck at DNA and the fact that this dude really enjoyed what he was doing, I'm assuming that the DNA was semen, because there was a gun and I doubt this kid fought back. But you're right ... He let me go but what if he comes back fear down the street and around the corner forever until now....Horrific.
If you have ever watched "Lived To Tell" a special 48hrs series about people who survived life or death situations it will really drive home the paranoia that survivors feel. Not only the possibility of them coming back but also the possibility of them doing this to someone else down the line.

Back