• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Uber driver has been charged with manslaughter in the death of a 15-year-old passenger he allegedly let ride on the roof his vehicle on Long Island a month and a half ago, the Suffolk County district attorney's office said Monday.

Ryan Mullen had been riding on the roof of the Danyal Cheema's vehicle Sept. 23 in Huntington Station; he fell off and hit his head on the road, then died of injuries stemming from the trauma, Suffolk County District Attorney Tim Sini said.

Sini said Mullen and two friends -- both 16 -- had spent the night out partying in the Cold Spring Harbor area. After the last party, they called for an Uber. Cheema, 25, picked them up. They went to a 7-Eleven, then, according to Sini, asked the driver to "car surf." They offered Cheema $70 to let them do it.

The transaction was not made then, Sini said. At some point later, the boys revisited the proposition, offering to pay Cheema $40 to let them ride on top of the car as he drove the vehicle. It wasn't clear if Cheema allegedly immediately accepted the money, but at some point, Mullen and another boy were on top of the car as Cheema drove. Mullen fell off and hit his head on the pavement.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Uber-Driver-Arrest-Car-Surfing-Death-New-York-499632001.html
1541455511918.png

Your friend tumbles onto the highway from a moving car and you still post the video? Even if you didn't know he was dead yet, that's pretty cold.

Mullen and friend: Can we surf on top of your car?

Cheema: Sure, knock yourself out!

It takes balls to assist the Hand of Darwin in this day and age. I've got a feeling that this particular good deed will not go unpunished.

Dumbass.

An Uber driver pleaded guilty Thursday to allowing a teenager to ride on his vehicle’s roof, ultimately causing the boy’s death, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.

Danyal Cheema, 24, pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the second degree, according to the DA.

Cheema faces a minimum of 10 months in jail plus five years of post-release supervision, according to the DA. His sentencing date has not been released.

February 14, 2020
It's what Ryan would have wanted.

Matthew and Janice Mullen stared directly at Danyal Cheema, the Huntington Station man who allowed their 16-year-old son Ryan to "car surf" on the roof of his Uber, ultimately leading to his death, and did the hardest thing they could imagine.

They offered forgiveness and encouraged Cheema to follow Ryan's example by leading a life of happiness, love and compassion for those less fortunate.

"Ryan's life was lost but yours doesn't have to be," Janice Mullen said as she asked Suffolk County Supreme Court Judge Fernando Camacho for leniency in sentencing Cheema for causing Ryan's death 17 months earlier. "Make a difference. Show compassion to others. Smile at a stranger because it might make a difference in their day. Don't forget to tell others you love them. Be yourself. Laugh out loud. Be the one that helps someone, because no one else might."

Cheema, standing in court with his hands cuffed behind his back, collapsed into the arms of two court officers as he took responsibility for Ryan's death and described the "spiritual surgery" he said transformed him into a man worthy of forgiveness.

"I 100 percent accept the challenge of being a better person," Cheema said. "I don't even know what to say. I'm at a loss for words. I know I'm a changed person and it's never going to be behind me completely. It's impossible."

"I know I'm at fault," Cheema said. "I know that 100 percent. And this is all very surreal to me. I've stayed up plenty of nights just thinking about this moment; thinking about what I could say to you guys. And there is nothing I can say. I can say I'm sorry, but … the best apology is changed behavior. That's what I've been doing."

Camacho agreed to a plea deal that sentenced Cheema, who pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter last April, to 10 months time served and five years probation.

Last edited:
Back