• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

EchaSez

Hope is the thing with feathers.
Prosecutors believe a 10-year-old boy is one of the youngest victims of the opioid crisis raging through Florida and other parts of the country.

Alton Banks returned home from a neighborhood outing at the local pool on June 23 and started vomiting. Family members later discovered him unconscious and rushed him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the Miami Herald reported.

According to a preliminary toxicology report, the fifth grader, who had dreams of becoming an engineer, had fentanyl in his system when he collapsed and died in his Florida home.

Health officials warn fentanyl, and other synthetic forms of the drug, can be so powerful that just inhaling or touching a small speck can be fatal. Detectives are still working to connect the dots of his final day and figure out where exactly he was exposed to the fatal drug.

Ohio police officer touches fentanyl on shirt, overdoses

“He was out playing, like we want all our children to do,” State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said. “We’re anxiously hoping that someone comes forward to help us solve this horrific death.”

Rundle explained she spoke out on the case due to a need for tips regarding how the boy came in contact with drug. Detectives said there’s no evidence it was at his home and suspect he may have been exposed on his walk home in Miami’s Overtown neighborhood, an area struggling with the opioid epidemic.

Prosecutors believe Alton Banks is among the many unsuspecting victims of fentanyl, which reared its head in Florida after a crackdown on painkillers like Oxycodone prompted a spike in heroin and opioid abuse, according to the Herald.

The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s office is still completing tests in the young boy’s death, and a final report is pending. The Medical Examiner told the newspaper there were nearly 300 overdose deaths related to fentanyl last year, of those only nine were under the age of 18.

While fentanyl is a legal painkiller — typically prescribed as a patch — legislators have taken swift steps to stymie efforts of those looking to trade it illegally.

Florida law calls for stiff minimum mandatory sentences for dealers caught with four grams or more of fentanyl, and a recent law will make it possible to charge dealers with murder if they shill out a fatal dose of the drug.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ngest-victims-opioid-crisis-article-1.3334944

Overtown is a rough area with alot of discarded crap on any walk from point a to b. This is really sad and apparently this crap has flooded to market legally and illegally. when I as a kid I would grab up any discarded object that caught my fancy and there's numerous ways he could have came in contact with it in powder residue form if it is that easy to od on

Last edited:
My kid is 9, when I was her age I'm pretty sure I'd never even heard of any substance use beyond glue sniffing. I was still playing with Barbies and just discovering pop music. Forty years on I've already had several drug, alcohol, rape and abuse conversations with her. She knows I carry Narcan and she knows what it's for. I can see this is something else I'm gonna have to talk to her about because she's a terror for picking things up off the ground. This fentanyl shit is evil. Whatever happened to his lad it's a tragedy all round.

My kid is 9, when I was her age I'm pretty sure I'd never even heard of any substance use beyond glue sniffing. I was still playing with Barbies and just discovering pop music. Forty years on I've already had several drug, alcohol, rape and abuse conversations with her. She knows I carry Narcan and she knows what it's for. I can see this is something else I'm gonna have to talk to her about because she's a terror for picking things up off the ground. This fentanyl shit is evil. Whatever happened to his lad it's a tragedy all round.

And here I was all shocked at having to tell my kid not to pick up deflated "balloons" at the park back in the 80's. Guess I'd better mention this article to my son and daughter-in-law.

Blankets laced with disease would be way too obvious. Makes one wonder. Might have to get a narcan pack or two because you never know. As dangerous as this shit has gotten. I don't do opiates but I do pick up trash that ends up in my yard and on the road in front and drug baggies have definitely been in the mix.

I had no idea fentanyl was so deadly. Goes towards explaining the atrocious numbers of opiate related deaths in my state..

Back in the '80s, it was possible to OD by eating heroin.. now just touching it can kill you?!

(Remember the Halloween myths about poisoned candy? One of the deaths encouraging that panic was a 5yr old who OD'd on heroin after getting into his uncle's stash. Family initially tried to blame Halloween candy to avoid court.)

There is fentanyl so potent you can OD on it from absorbing it through microscopic skin breaks or getting it on your hands and touching your mouth or eyes without realizing. It's still quite rare without actual ingestion but it seems to be getting more common. If you can get Narcan trained I highly recommend it. A lot of substance abuse treatment centers are offering the training for free to the public and most will give a kit for you to carry.

I had no idea fentanyl was so deadly. Goes towards explaining the atrocious numbers of opiate related deaths in my state..

Back in the '80s, it was possible to OD by eating heroin.. now just touching it can kill you?!

(Remember the Halloween myths about poisoned candy? One of the deaths encouraging that panic was a 5yr old who OD'd on heroin after getting into his uncle's stash. Family initially tried to blame Halloween candy to avoid court.)

It is absorbed through the skin, it is prescribed in a patch you wear on your chest wall usually.

Latest posts

Back