• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A state bill that could unleash hundreds of locked-up murderers, rapists and other hardened felons is incensing New York City law enforcement officials who say it would undo years of crime-fighting.

The “elder parole” bill, which would grant parole eligibility to all inmates ages 55 and up who have been in prison at least 15 years, is “outrageous and idiotic,” said Staten Island District Attorney Michael McMahon.

The legislation would even extend to those serving life without parole, a group which includes famed criminals such as ‘90s serial killer Joel Rifkin, the Queens Wendy’s massacre mastermind John Taylor, and Bronx child rapist Clarence Moss.

The legislation has quietly flown under the radar since being introduced in the Assembly in February by Queens Democrat David Weprin.

The release of Weather Underground terrorist Judith Clark, paroled earlier this month after serving more than 37 years in prison, gave the bill’s backers a new talking point.

Sen. Brad Hoylman (D-Manhattan), who introduced the accompanying Senate bill about a week before Clark’s release, praised her parole, saying “there are so many more Judith Clarks out there” and “we must work to fight for their freedom.”

If the legislation — which has already moved through crime committees in both the Senate and Assembly — becomes law, 900 convicts could have a chance at freedom, according to Hoylman’s office.

Taylor — was the last remaining prisoner on death row before a state appeals court ruled the death penalty unconstitutional in 2007. He was re-sentenced to life in prison without parole, but the new proposal could undo his punishment yet again.

Rifkin is serving 203 years for killing nine women in New York City and on Long Island between 1989 and 1993. He admitted to slaying 17, mostly prostitutes, to fulfill a sick fantasy spawned from Alfred Hitchcock’s “Frenzy.” He’s currently eligible for parole in 2197.

Moss, who raped and killed his 11-year-old Bronx neighbor while he was drunk and high on cocaine in 2001, could seek the parole board’s sympathy as soon as six months after the governor signs the bill, when the legislation would go into effect.

So could Long Island Railroad massacre gunman Colin Ferguson, who killed six passengers and wounded 19 in a 1993 shooting. If not for the new bill, he would die in jail before his parole date in 2039.

At least one New York City prosecutor thinks the parole bill has merit.

“If someone has gone through the process of changing themselves . . . there should be a mechanism for them to then appear before a parole board that will fully vet them,” Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said.

Hoylman played up the potential prison cost savings that would come from releasing more inmates, saying “we are looking at billions of dollars . . . that could be used toward a lot of other worthwhile purposes,” he told The Post.

“The legislation doesn’t make parole decisions, it just allows older incarcerated New Yorkers the chance at parole,” Hoylman said.

Attachments

• hammer_of_justice.jpg
    hammer_of_justice.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,450
And I'm sure most Americans would agree with you one hundred percent. Greatest country in the world, ladies and gents.
I take it that’s an attempt at sarcasm.. which is fine.. but I have no desire to have people who ask to be locked up because they know they will reoffend or caught by DNA evidence to be released, they include people who have reoffended multiple times on murder and rape, peodophiles, or serial killers to name some because of some cookie cutter bullshit.. greatest country in the world bullshit or not aside..

Last edited:
I take it that’s an attempt at sarcasm.. which is fine.. but I have no desire to have people who ask to be locked up because they know they will reoffend or caught by DNA evidence to be released, they include people who have reoffended multiple times on murder and rape, peodophiles, or serial killers to name some because of some cookie cutter bullshit.. greatest country in the world bullshit or not aside..
This also has the potential to correct some of the cookie cutter excesses of three strikes laws. Since the parole board is still involved, it's not like they just get a pass.

I don't understand anyone completely against the death penalty. Ok, you murder 1, maybe 2, some drug use, or vendetta, or other stupid shit. I say 10 years minimum. But when you murder multiple, or classify as a Serial Killer, you are beyond help. Put 2 in the chest, one in the head. You do not get to reek havoc on society and then get 3 meals a day. I know prison is no Hilton, but neither is death. We have to stop paying to keep these people alive who will never be rehabilitated. Once a person is sentenced longer than one could reasonably live, its automatic death sentence carried out in 5 years. But, for those who did kill 1 or 2, with conditions of just stupid shit, i agree, 15 years min let them out. Oh and rapists should be be removed of offending appendage.

It’s about $$$. Elderly prisoners have expensive health conditions.

I wonder if it will actually save any money, since dealing with 900 appeals is going to cost the state a fuckload of cash (although I agree that's probably why they proposed the bill). Enacting the death penalty is more expensive than leaving a prisoner in prison for life so I wonder if their cost cutting is even going to work.

55 is way too fucking young to be calling them "elder". Maybe a 90 year old is a bit too frail to continue with a life of crime, but 55? At that point they're just turning into the age where no one wants to hire these unskilled workers and they aren't yet eligible for medicare. Unemployable, uninsurable whackadoodles who are still young enough to create chaos.... I'm sure that would go swimmingly.

Good lord the media loves sensationalist titles.
I'd like to point out that the legislation itself doesn't let anyone out of jail. It simply allows them to go before a parole board if they're above a certain age and have been incarcerated for a certain amount of time. I very much doubt that the parole board is going to let out serial killers and terrorists just because they're grandpa age. In fact I guarantee that the men listed in this article would immediately get their application back with "Hell No" stamped across the front.
Furthermore this would not apply to anyone in jail on Federal level charges. Federal parole was discontinued in 1987.

The New York parole board is nominated by the governor and voted on by the state senate. It's not some unaccountable board of academics totally unconnected to the outside world.

http://www.doccs.ny.gov/ParoleBoard.html#

Being "eligable for parole" and actually GETTING parole are wildly different. Nobody wants to be the parole committeeman that voted to release a notorious serial killer.
Post automatically merged:

I don’t agree with a cookie cutter answer.. some people truly deserve, for society’s safety, life w/out parole..
Tossing this quote in just to point out that it's not a cookie cutter process for the above reasons. The parole board examines the crimes committed by those seeking parole, and they can straight up say no to anyone. And they do say no. Quite a bit, looking at their appeal decisions.

Last edited:
Probably because no one will hire them even after they paid their debt to society.
Right. They will be elderly, most likely with health conditions, unemployed and homeless.

These inmates we're never expected to be released. So they were never given any skills to face today's society.
If an inmate is 56 and was convicted of a crime at age 20 and sentenced to life. That means the last time they lived outside the system was 1982
How could they possibly cope in society in 2019
There is young college graduates working in fast food. How can an advanced aged excon have any hope at all of securing a job, a place to live, a car, car insurance and still have money for food.
Post automatically merged:

The whole idea is cruel.

Last edited:
Probably because no one will hire them even after they paid their debt to society.

I feel for ya, but it’s not about paying a debt to potential employers. They don’t care about what was paid to The Man. It’s about finding people who are reliable, will not skip work for jail and court, and who make good decisions. Getting arrested sure does keep you away from the office for a while....

I’m so fucking lucky my professional name is not the same as my legal name. I can pass a background check so I’m lucky in that regard, I’m not sure what I’d do with my life if i fucked that up. I’m not jealous of the situation.

Places like career centers are actually pretty good with that C2C, maybe check them out. They’re all about finding labor type jobs that will eventually pay off if you’re dedicated for a while. All you need is to prove that you’re reliable in one job for maybe two years or so and then upgrading your job will be so much easier, I promise!

55 is way too fucking young to be calling them "elder". Maybe a 90 year old is a bit too frail to continue with a life of crime, but 55? At that point they're just turning into the age where no one wants to hire these unskilled workers and they aren't yet eligible for medicare. Unemployable, uninsurable whackadoodles who are still young enough to create chaos.... I'm sure that would go swimmingly.
Hey now. I'm 55 and I just got a job. Not all of us are useless.

Back