• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!

Take a pew, sitting down just got woke! A British student has snagged a nifty design award for creating an anti-manspreading chair.

Fed up with men who luxuriate in their seating, University of Brighton student Laila Laurel, 23, fashioned a pair of his and hers chairs that challenge the way men and women “command space.”

“I was also hugely inspired by Laura Bates’ Everyday Sexism Project, where I read about the struggles and frustrations of women around the world pertaining to men infringing on their space,” Laurel tells Metro.

Reminiscent of medieval torture devices translated through mid-century style, the sycamore and cherry wood chairs encourage women to spread eagle, while forcing men to knock their knees together.

“In order to achieve gender equality it is imperative to consider many different aspects of sexism,” says Laurel, “and so that is why I thought it would be interesting to try to explore political gendered issues around seating.”

Full Story:
https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/manspreading-chair-wins-award-for-forcing-dudes-legs-together/

What about the problem of bag spreading or fem spreading? Where women pile their bags on the seat next to them?
Those chairs are not even attractive. Looks like a high school shop production. I sniff affirmative action, not true merit.
I bet other students came up with a few interesting and practical designs worthy of consideration, but they didn't get the big prizes because there was no message against The Patriarchy. pffft!

I agree.

I don't care if a man spreads his legs when he sits. If he's good looking and wearing a kilt, all the batter. If seating is limited and I need to sit, I will say excuse me and sit down.
Yep, I have never had an issue with that. Ever. Now women and their shit taking up 17 seats and an aisle? THAT, I've had to deal with on numerous occasions.

I would like to see men who actually man-spread try the "male" version of the chair (or something similar) to make the point of how much space that isn't theirs they tend to take up. The women's version is just stupid. If spreading your legs wide and taking up an unreasonable amount of room in public spaces is wrong, then it is wrong for everyone, not just men. Duh. I am baffled that SJWs often think that two wrongs somehow make a right.

Back