• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Houston County (WTVY)-- Houston County Superintendent David Sewell met with staff Wednesday to discuss stiffing heat on school buses.

He is encouraging drivers, when possible, to leave windows open all day so it will be a little cooler when students board in the afternoon.

“We also want to put water on board (for the students) until this heatwave passes,” Sewell said.

Jessica Granger, mother to a first grader, believes if more measures than those aren't implemented a child could die. She advocates air conditioning on all buses.

In Alabama, only those that transport special needs students are required to have air conditioning. That's something Ms. Granger would like changed.

Her motivation became stronger after Remington, her six year old son, came home from school Tuesday. So overcome by heat, she claims, he suffered from nausea and a headache.

A digital thermometer on one Houston County bus this week showed the temperature at 138 degrees.
[....]

I like the Red Ryder BB gun, even if I'll shoot my eye out.

Rite of passage for sure, freezing our asses off in the winter and burning up in the summer. I wonder how we survived when there was no question about AC on buses. It just wasn't done and, as far as I know, nobody thought there was a need for it,not just for kids.

Random thought for today, I can remember the first window unit AC I ever saw,I was about 12 and it was at my cousin's house, they were rich. We managed with open windows and fans.

My only weapon, at the moment, is a Heritage Arms 22LR, that needs cleaning and oiling reallllll bad,but I'm technically not supposed to have one where I live so I don't really want to take it out for someone to clean.

I like the Red Ryder BB gun, even if I'll shoot my eye out.

Rite of passage for sure, freezing our asses off in the winter and burning up in the summer. I wonder how we survived when there was no question about AC on buses. It just wasn't done and, as far as I know, nobody thought there was a need for it,not just for kids.

Random thought for today, I can remember the first window unit AC I ever saw,I was about 12 and it was at my cousin's house, they were rich. We managed with open windows and fans.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast and we didn't have central A/C. We had an attic fan which kept things surprisingly cool. I probably wouldn't be satisfied with it now after being spoiled all these years though. We did have a window unit in my parents' bedroom for when my dad was on nights at the Texaco refinery.

Hardly anyone around here has AC because until the last ten years or so it never got hot enough to really need one, except for maybe a couple days each summer, and you could tough those out because they were rare and would be gone soon. Now that we regularly have significant stretches that are too hot (a week or more in a row several times a summer), I bought a window AC unit for the bedroom. Not sure how people who live where it is for real hot could live without it.

Nerf guns heavily modded for better performance are my thing. When the zombie apocalypse comes swords and machetes and hatchet will be the weapons of choice. No running out of ammo.

Water, freezies anything that cools the kids.
Maybe these buses could be used to house those scumbags that slow roast kids in cars. 138 degrees sounds just about right!

Hardly anyone around here has AC because until the last ten years or so it never got hot enough to really need one, except for maybe a couple days each summer, and you could tough those out because they were rare and would be gone soon. Now that we regularly have significant stretches that are too hot (a week or more in a row several times a summer), I bought a window AC unit for the bedroom. Not sure how people who live where it is for real hot could live without it.
Its the same here. No one owns AC's because it generally isnt all that hot and when it is, its only for a week max. The average temps in the summer are 20-25c but this year we had two very abnormal heatwaves in Holland. Feels like temps of 48c(118f)..for a week+ each time. It was so hot that kids only had school from 8:30am till noon because it was too hot to allow classes to continue without AC. It was almost unbearably hot. Im definitely not made to live in a climate thats super hot and doesn't have AC :dead:

I think for 118 degrees, Georgia and Florida would call off school, that's extremely hot for here, too.
I grew up in FL and with school starting in August, there were times during heat waves (100+ degrees) when the school’s HVAC system would be overtaxed and shut down.

So no snow days, but we got a few heat wave days here and there.

And the school buses were hot boxes of torture until October.

Back